Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the Day Monday October 1, 2012

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 110 Total Views

You all know that I like to do a theme for my monthly Monday Question of the Day.

I am declaring that October is "Pumpkin Month". 

I thought it would be fun to take your nationality, or nationalities, and offer a pumpkin recipe for each week in October. 

If you are allowed to copy and paste it, ok.  Some sites don't like for you to do this, so in that case just write the Title.

I,  for one,  will take the time to look up the title, find the recipe and print it  :)

So, what is your nationality and what recipe comes from that country with pumpkin?

Edit:  I see this is a lot of work.  I plan to do this, but if it is too much for your schedule, just share with us one recipe with pumpkin you like to make or eat or would like to try:  each week, please  :)

Veronica

pumpkin pie

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Scottish pumpkin-walnut bread:  Please type out the title in your Search Engine.

The place I found this recipe was sparkpeople.com.

Veronica

zboys
by dictionary on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I'm of Hispanic heritage, but I don't know the recipe for the pumpkin empenadas 'cause we get them at the Mexican bakery.  They are good!

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You know I am married to a Mexican.

My brother-in-law who lives upstairs likes to treat Gracie and me to empanadas of various flavors.

Around Central Texas they make them of camote-sweet potato...

Veronica

Quoting zboys:

I'm of Hispanic heritage, but I don't know the recipe for the pumpkin empenadas 'cause we get them at the Mexican bakery.  They are good!

zboys
by dictionary on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That works!  Sweet potato pies are scrumptious too.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

You know I am married to a Mexican.

My brother-in-law who lives upstairs likes to treat Gracie and me to empanadas of various flavors.

Around Central Texas they make them of camote-sweet potato...

Veronica

Quoting zboys:

Alieda
by Group Owner on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

French Pumpkin Soup

This pumpkin soup recipe has a velvety texture and a delicate, savory flavor perfect for a light lunch or a refined first course. The real treat is that it’s as easy to prepare and healthy as it is delicious!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

• 3 medium shallots, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 1 medium pie pumpkin (3 lbs.), seeded and cubed
  • 3 large potatoes (2 lbs.), peeled and cubed
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • Salt, to taste

Preparation:

In a large saucepan, sauté the shallots and garlic over medium heat until they turn translucent and tender. Add the chicken stock, pumpkin, and potatoes to the pan and bring to a simmer. Allow the vegetables to simmer gently for 35-50 minutes, until they’re tender. Puree the soup in a countertop blender or with an immersion blender until it is completely smooth. Stir in the heavy cream and heat through. Season the soup with salt and pepper.

I have never had it so I can not tell you how good or bad it is .

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!   Looks yummy.....

The ingredients are so easy to come by also...

I can't wait to try it!!!

Thank you for sharing :)

Veronica  

Quoting Alieda:

French Pumpkin Soup

This pumpkin soup recipe has a velvety texture and a delicate, savory flavor perfect for a light lunch or a refined first course. The real treat is that it’s as easy to prepare and healthy as it is delicious!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

• 3 medium shallots, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 1 medium pie pumpkin (3 lbs.), seeded and cubed
  • 3 large potatoes (2 lbs.), peeled and cubed
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • Salt, to taste

Preparation:

In a large saucepan, sauté the shallots and garlic over medium heat until they turn translucent and tender. Add the chicken stock, pumpkin, and potatoes to the pan and bring to a simmer. Allow the vegetables to simmer gently for 35-50 minutes, until they’re tender. Puree the soup in a countertop blender or with an immersion blender until it is completely smooth. Stir in the heavy cream and heat through. Season the soup with salt and pepper.

I have never had it so I can not tell you how good or bad it is .

Alieda
by Group Owner on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Let me know what you think when you do try it.

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I will.  In the meantime I still have some butternut squash from the garden I could be using for something like this!!! 

Thank you, again!!!

Veronica

Quoting Alieda:

Let me know what you think when you do try it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)