Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 85 Total Views

My 6 year old is a kindergartener and really does not like school.  Mondays are the worse because he is use to being off even though we go to Sunday School it's only an hour long.  He will refuse to get out of  the car at kiss and ride and go to his class.  He'll stand outside the class in the hall and won't look at the teacher and only the wall.  I've tried positive reinforcement, I've tried taking away favorite toys.  I am praying about it.  Do you have any suggestions on how to change his perspective and get him to obey?

by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rosepetal24
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Good morning, trixie...

I am a former Elementary teacher of 21 years...

Let me think about this for a while...

Do you send your child to a Private School or a Public School?

Please share that with me as you like...

I want to help...:) 

I am keeping this in prayer as well for you as I think of suggestions...

rosepetal...

zboys
by encyclopedia on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM
Has he been going all year? How long has this been going on? Maybe he is a late bloomer.
rosepetal24
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:19 PM

trixie,

I've had some time to look at this as a Mom and a former teacher.

First some hope:  School is almost over...It is no longer fresh for any one, teachers included.  This is by far the hardest time of the year..

Looking at your child's behavior, I can see why he might not want to go to school after Sunday School.  This is fun...Traditional school is not fun, because it involves work, routine and producing, also behaving well...

I keep in mind he is 6 years old...

Their stamina is nothing like an older child's would be.  

His attention span is very, very short...

In my humble opinion, having been a classroom teacher, you have done everything possible at your end...

Now it is the school's turn...

In my experience of being a teacher, it is now at the point where the teacher must seriously intervene..

What I see is that He is pulling everyone's strings and knows it..

Has he been sent to the office yet?

My gentle suggestion woukd be this:  arrange a conference where you, he and the teacher are present.

You and whoever the teacher is, must present a united front.

You must both show him you support each other...

I know there are ways to talk to a six year old to encourage the truth, with love..

So when this is done, your child needs to see visually and hear that Mom and teacher are together...He cannot wrap you two around his finger...

I want to add some to this, but I need a little refresher...

I'll be back later...

rosepetal

Alieda
by Group Owner on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have a serious talk with the teacher maybe she knows of something going on and school that you are not awe of.  Has there be any change in the home , at school and with friends he might be reacting too.  Also tell him , it can be fully honest with you what ever is the proble and you will not be mad at him. 

rosepetal24
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:06 PM

That too is an excellent idea...

Unless he is a rebellious boy at home, then what you suggested, Alieda,  has to be considered...

Either way, I pray, trixie,  that you will find answers that will help you to solve the mysteries that you have, to find peace about this...

Quoting Alieda:

I would have a serious talk with the teacher maybe she knows of something going on and school that you are not awe of.  Has there be any change in the home , at school and with friends he might be reacting too.  Also tell him , it can be fully honest with you what ever is the proble and you will not be mad at him. 

trixie11
by on Apr. 25, 2017 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you everyone. I have been talking to his teacher and she is getting frustrated.  They sent him to the principal once and I think that helped.  Then they sent him to the guidance counselor on another occasion which I think helped but I think they need to do more of.  His Dad and I talked to him more last night and explained how his behavior was wrong and unacceptable.  I will keep praying.  Thanks for your support.  

rosepetal24
by on Apr. 25, 2017 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing this, trixie....

Keeping this in prayer for you, your husband, your son and all involved at school..

In Christian love,

rosepetal

Quoting trixie11:

Thank you everyone. I have been talking to his teacher and she is getting frustrated.  They sent him to the principal once and I think that helped.  Then they sent him to the guidance counselor on another occasion which I think helped but I think they need to do more of.  His Dad and I talked to him more last night and explained how his behavior was wrong and unacceptable.  I will keep praying.  Thanks for your support.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)