Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

"If you have the same mom & different dads does this make u full or half siblings?"

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM
  • 34 Replies

I am asking your opinions on this because  on Oprah they kept refering to her sister(they share the same mom diff. dads) as her half-sister.A lot of people started saying that they are full sisters if they got the same mom, even if they have diff. dads.I have heard people say this but I feel as if they are HALF because you only have ONE PARENT IN COMMON!!!!I know your mom carried each of you and you were probably raised together but IMO,you are still technically half-siblings.

by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeeLeeCandleGrl
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Well Oprah said she wanted to make sure that people werent going to say that her father had another child with her mom and that is why she continued to say half sister.

But, I am not in this situation but my husband has several brothers and sisters on his fathers side and a brother and sister on his moms side and he only refers to them as his brothers and sisters. He does not use the term half. My mother does not use the term half and she has several siblings from her father and mother who are "completely" siblings. So, I think it depends on what you like to say. Technically speaking according to DNA you can only be half of your sibling if you only have one common parent.

1214Choc
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

They are half sisters.  If you only have one parent in common, then you're half. 

niekitta
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Well both my brother and I are Half sibling but we don't use that term in our eyes we are just plain old sister and brother. The same for my children, my husband is not biologicaly my 13 year olds father but he has been there since she was 3 months old, so he is all she knows we have raised her together and since has had 5 other children and they all know that she is their sister and nothin else. I actually donn't like that term Half sister or Half brother you both share a parent so you are siblings.

overcame
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM

people always make the mistake and think when the father have another child by someone else it's a half sibling which is not true. when the mother have a child by another man that child is half

ksbondgirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I was taught that if you only have one parent in common--doesn't  matter which parent, you are half siblings.  You cannot be whole siblings if one of you has DNA from different parent.

chice661
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I personally think it doesn't make a difference,  half or whole it's still you're sibilig. i don't personally care for the term half-brother/sister. At the end of the day does it really matter?

chice661
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Sidenote: I remeber someone telling one time when  you have the same mother you're whole sibilibg because you grew in the same womb & that it says somewhere in the bible about being made whole in the womb etc....so yeah just food for thought

k481gil
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I believe that you are only half siblings, I've heard people try to plead that case as well but the truth is there isn't a difference. You still only share half of the same chromosomes. I have a half sister but sense she isn't half a person I say my sister. That is who she is to me.

caramelmom
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:35 PM
I agree!

Quoting chice661:

I personally think it doesn't make a difference,  half or whole it's still you're sibilig. i don't personally care for the term half-brother/sister. At the end of the day does it really matter?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM

This

Quoting 1214Choc:

They are half sisters.  If you only have one parent in common, then you're half. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)