Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Do you get offended if someone asks you how much you paid for something?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM
  • 32 Replies

Three weeks ago, I traded in my previous car for a new car.  Not going to go into details why I got rid of my 2007 vehicle, just that it was made with cheap parts and I couldn't go on putting new parts on something that was falling apart. 

There is  this one particular gas station that I always go to, not far from my home.  The gas is just a bit cheaper than the other nearby stations.  Since I've gotten this new car, I have only had to fill it up with gas twice (don't do a lot of driving).  The first time I was at the gas station, the owner of the store was not there.  Yesterday, I go to fill up with gas, then go inside the store to pay.  The owner of the store was there and he looked out the window at my car.  Then he says to me, is that your new car.  I say "yes".  Then he asks "is it brand new or pre-owned".  I reply "brand new".  Keep in mind that there are four other customers standing behind me waiting to pay for their gas.  Then he asks me "how much did you pay for it".  I was shocked and felt that was a rude question to ask, beause really it was none of anyone's business how much I pay for big purchases.  The whole store went  quiet, waiting for my answer.  I just told him that I got a fair trade in value for my old vehicle, so the price of the car was reasonable.  What I really wanted to say was none of your business.

Would you be offended if someone asked you "how much did you pay", if the purchase you made was a bigger purchase?  I'm not talking about clothing, accessories, small household items. 

by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caramelmom
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM
I think it is rude for someone to ask that. People can be so intrusive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wademom07
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I would not be offended..... and probably would have answered the question.

mrzsimmons322
by Crystal on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I think it's very rude I would have said enough! when we bought our house 11 yrs ago that's the 1st thing out of folks mouth how much yall pay for your house? I would say none of your business unless you putting money on the mortgage & they would have this stunned look on their faces.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM

The reason I'm asking this question on this forum, is because I brought this up to some friends of mine.  None of them have ever asked me how much I paid for something.  With the exception of one friend.  But none of them see anything wrong with asking someone how much they paid for something,.  Some have admitted that they sometimes do that and didn't realize it was considered rude to some.

I always thought that you just don't ask personal stuff like that.  If you bought a new outfit, lamps for your house, small items and someone asked, then that is different.  They're small purchases.  But even then I wouldn't ask someone how much they paid for an item.  I would tell them how much I like what they purchased and where they purchased it, so that I could get one or something similar for myself.

jmomma2003
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM

i wouldn't say i would be "offended", but i would be taken back a bit...i do not like to discuss how i spend my money as people tend form judgements and opinions about a person on this basis...and i have also found that 9 times out of 10, their inquiries are not to assess the cost with intentions of buying, but just to be effing nosy...

caramelmom
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Exactly!

Quoting jmomma2003:

i wouldn't say i would be "offended", but i would be taken back a bit...i do not like to discuss how i spend my money as people tend form judgements and opinions about a person on this basis...and i have also found that 9 times out of 10, their inquiries are not to assess the cost with intentions of buying, but just to be effing nosy...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I think i would have been more annoyed he asked in front of everyone..

Brehi
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I don't mind my real friends and close family members asking, but other folks-it's none of their business

sweetiepie81
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM
i don't think i would've been offended. annoyed yea. what gets me is when someone asks & you tell them then they start acting like you got ripped off or something lol. but you gave him the right answer. oh anyone ever ask how much YOU get paid? thats rude!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SultryLadyBug
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM
I probably would have been slightly annoyed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN