Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you handle "backtalking" or "mouthing off"?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM
  • 30 Replies

I pluck my children in the mouth if they get too rude with it but generally there is the verbal warning,  "stare", "timeout" or taking something away.......

What method or combination of methods work for you with your little or even older children?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermom664
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM
Seriously my kids don't back talk us. I'm sure they may have said some pretty nasty things about us in their heads
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayRo00
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM

My kids have not gotten bold enough to do that yet. They do groan and moan though when it's something they have to do but don't want to. But if they start talking back they will get popped in the mouth.

slap

mrzsimmons322
by Crystal on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

same here.

Quoting supermom664:

Seriously my kids don't back talk us. I'm sure they may have said some pretty nasty things about us in their heads

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Mine doesn't back talk at all.. 

zmama22
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:37 AM

i weeded it out by the age of 3 by popping her in the mouth, so luckily i'm not experiencing it now. i'm sure it will return in the teens.

atlshine
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Hmm nothing is permanently effective with my 8 yr old, but I pop him, punish him, reason with him, or hollar at him depending on what he says and my mood. He literally does not understand when he needs to shut up. Even after explaining it, vb he'll say "I'm just saying" and look at me like I'm the crazy one. Makes my blood boil!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvdwc
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM
I'll give "the look" at first. If it continues, I'll holler/fuss. That normally works but if for whatever reason she's feeling froggy, she'll get hit in the mouth or a swift kick in the ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsRickie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Some of you that are saying it does not happen or it has not happened (I pray that it stays that way) but you must not have teens or pre-teens. Trust me they may not roll their eyes, or talk back loud enough for you to hear it but they are mumbling under their breaths how stupid you are or how they hate you.

I normally ask what did you say?  It's generally my 16 year old that has a bad attitude. Last night my son was playing around and got smart in the mouth, out of no where I went to pluck him in the mouth, but he saw my hand and moved back and almost fell out of the chair. Kids need reminders that they are not in charge.

caramelmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Yeah teenagers will make you deliver them a hot one real quick! I have 3 of them and I ask the Lord to give me patience on the daily!

Quoting MsRickie:

Some of you that are saying it does not happen or it has not happened (I pray that it stays that way) but you must not have teens or pre-teens. Trust me they may not roll their eyes, or talk back loud enough for you to hear it but they are mumbling under their breaths how stupid you are or how they hate you.

I normally ask what did you say?  It's generally my 16 year old that has a bad attitude. Last night my son was playing around and got smart in the mouth, out of no where I went to pluck him in the mouth, but he saw my hand and moved back and almost fell out of the chair. Kids need reminders that they are not in charge.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mspecan_tan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Damn I was thinking yall got some good kids ... cause mine 3 and has picked up sucking his teeth and saying ughhhhhhhh when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do .... and I usually pop him in the mouth, butt, or where ever my hand lands ..... funny think is he probably picked it up from his cousins in our family because they have a habit of doing it too but they do it low enough that their parents or the adult can't hear them .... my son hasn't grasped that part yet ...ha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)