Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Layoffs

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM
  • 14 Replies
My company is in the midst of laying off a LOT of people over next 3 years. We don't know who will get the ax or when. Last week, my department lost 16 people. Today, some of those people said there good-byes. The sadness of losing your co-workers combined with battling emotions of personal relief that's it's not you and the thought that it could be you next have created an intense amount of tension at work. Have you gone through a a layoff situation? How did you handle it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlomax07
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM

a leigh d...i think if i remember correctly, you are also in the mortgage industry as i am...bank of america???  anyway, every position that i have had in the financial services industry i have been laid off due to mergers or closings...each and every time i just accepted my severence package, and looked for another job..unfortunately, this is a result of a troubled economy...

mlomax07@yahoo.com
a_leigh_d
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Yes and yes. Your long term memory is excellent! It's not just the mortgage sector at risk this time. It's everyone. I have 13 1/2 years under my belt so my bye-bye package would be decent. It's mental hostage situation that troubles me. Not knowing how, when or if the story ends is a huge burden. I've never been laid off and this is the first time that I've had a bit of inside scoop which makes it harder. I KNOW for a fact that my department will take a huge hit. I just don't know if I will be in the number. (Huge sigh)

Quoting mlomax07:

a leigh d...i think if i remember correctly, you are also in the mortgage industry as i am...bank of america???  anyway, every position that i have had in the financial services industry i have been laid off due to mergers or closings...each and every time i just accepted my severence package, and looked for another job..unfortunately, this is a result of a troubled economy...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlomax07
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM

a leigh d...it is certainly an unsettling feeling, knowing that you are possibly the target of a layoff...what you have to do is keep your eyes on the "big picture"... just know that God has a specific plan in mind for you, and you have to trust in him and his wil for your life...i know it is much easier to say then believe in, but you have to have imense faith...

prverbs31woman  

mlomax07@yahoo.com
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM

That's scary! hugs

Alyson121
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Folx are getting chopped left and right.  Since hubby has been at his job, his department is down to 2 people.  His boss "left" last month.  This recession is no joke.  Things are NOT getting better but worse.  So the best thing it do is prepare now, as not to be caught off guard.  Nothing worse than coming into work on Monday and learning that TODAY is your last day.

And with unemployment being scarce and SS being cut and all the other gov't programs that are suppose to help folks when they're down and people still losing their homes, can't feed their families . . . . all i can say is "downsize" now, even if anyone is still employed. 

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:56 AM

I've gone through one where i had to decide who would get laid off..It was a very difficult situation because not only were we co workers we were also friends(socialized outside of work)..  It was difficult to be the one to tell them they didn't have a job anymore..It was also difficult to see these people(around town) after the lay offs..

The whole situation was stressful for everyone..

grownsexy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM

I was in financial services as well. Yes, my company had a big layoff. You will survive it if it happens. The biggest setback is that it is hard to make a comeback with your salary. A lot of companies because of the economic down turn will not give you the same compensation that you was use too. Also companies now expect one person to do the work of three people. That is the downside of being under the axe.

After the downside comes the good side. Unemployment has been extended so you have more time to search for another job. The only thing I can say is don't worry about it you have an advantage you know what your company is going to do. Talk to your friends get some contacts and put your resume out their. Get moving before they move you. Good luck, hope the axe is not over your head.

jinxmom
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

sadI went through downsizing but I saw it as an opportunity to go back to school.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a day shift job and had a 3 yr old at the time.  It was rough.  Therefore, left the medical after 2 yrs and went back to a government job.  Unfortunately, furloughs maybe coming but I'm trusting God and trying to go back to school. (HUGS) Prayer changes things

proudyoungmom2
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I went through a layoff a few years back. I worked for the company for over 2 years and they gave us all short notice that we would no longer have a job. It was sad. There was close to 10 of us that were laid off. 6 of which were single mothers. I loved that job. I was trying to make a fresh start with my two boys. I moved into an apartment only to loose my main source of income a few months later. I was devastated. I still had my weekend job  but it wasnt enough to pay all my bills on time every month. I prayed about it and I was blessed with another job. Not my dream job but one that would help me pay my bills. 

caramelmom
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM
It's really rough I'm sorry! But I agree with the suggestion to get those resumes circulating now. And don't rule out temp services because they can be lifesavers in the in between times!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)