Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Do you think there is a big difference between common law marriage and actual marriage?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM
  • 55 Replies
I just noticed some people who have not "made it legal" still refer to others as wifey and hubby but have never been married.

Do you feel these two things are one in the same?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenMarie2007
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this

No, it is not the same thing. If you want to call yourself married and use terms like "hubby", MAKE IT OFFICIAL.

Kandie7113
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Just a legal piece of paper. But call me wife only if we married or been married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candy2
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM
In the sight of the law, no. Legally both are entitled to many of the same benefits, depending on the state. However, you're just a live in girlfriend without the paper. I've always said if you're gonna play house why not make it legit. Jmo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anayiah3
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I don't have an opinion on this because I don't care lol its their personal choice as long as they understand they get zero benefits when the other die
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dana267
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Okay. I'm
Not trying to judge people's situations- just wondering if it's different for the man.
WifeySlymm
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I'm common law. we did it for insurance purposes. in colorado he is my hubby and I'm his wife. if we leave each other we still have to get.an official divorce. I even have his last name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dana267
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Wow- that's crazy- its in writing that its common law?
WifeySlymm
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM
it says we are common law. we live as married, act as.married and have every.intention of getting married. which we do. we had to get it notarized. he is on my 401k and life insurance. in colorado I'm entitled to the same things as a married couple
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BarbadianBeauty
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Me personally it's a big deal. But that's how I was raised. If you're going to be with me that long then I need the legal papers (and ring loll) to prove so. I just recently got married the 12th of December. Even though I'm still a teen (we're 19) but we have been together since the 8th grade and had our dd at 15. We pretty much lived as a married couple. We had our own apartment and he proposed to me in the 11th grade loll. Now we are legally married :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom664
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM
You have got to be kidding me...so what would be the purpose/reason for you two getting married legally?

Quoting WifeySlymm:

I'm common law. we did it for insurance purposes. in colorado he is my hubby and I'm his wife. if we leave each other we still have to get.an official divorce. I even have his last name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)