Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know this probably isn't going to concern most of you...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:04 AM
  • 41 Replies

, but its still food (literally) for thought.

After the majority of the responses to my orange juice post were "I'll take my chances", I don't think most of you would care about this either.

But I'm gonna post it anyway. It was an article I ran across on "The Stir" about a lady who brought a Micky D's cheeseburger and let it sit around for 1 year, unwrapped and unrefrigerated. After 1 year...it still looked (and pretty much smelled) the same. She said "Obviously it makes me wonder why we choose to eat food like this when even bacteria won't eat it." And if bacteria won't eat it, does it even count as food?

The story is here.

I don't want you guys to think that I hate junk/fast foods and sugar, or that my kids or myself never consume them, because that's not true- I like a good cheeseburger as much as the next person. My point is that its important to know what you're consuming as well as the potential health-risks it poses, so you're not someone one day (heaven forbid) diagnosed with something that was totally preventable, looking stuck on stupid, claiming "Well, I didn't know.", or regretting that you just ignored the information. I see that a lot in my clinicals, and its really sad. People just think they're immune to diseases, and they're NOT. You only get 1 body.

Like I said before, what you chose to do with the information is up to you, I'm just putting it out there.

EDIT: Ok, obviously, people are taking this WAY personal, and it wasn't meant that way. I don't have a running tally in my head of who said what in the last post- its not that serious. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, and you don't have to like mine. I'm not asking you to...you don't have to agree with anything I said. But its my post, my opinions, so if you don't like it, that sucks for you. What you do with your body is your choice. But to walk up in a post stating that you don't like someone's PERSONAL opinion is...well, dumb. Heaven forbid I have an opinion about some of what I see on a weekly basis! What did you think the post was going to include, really?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Eh I don't eat beef and we by pass fast food places!

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I seriously think that each person,each family has to do what they gotta do for them! kwim? Its always good to post cautions&make people aware but in the end its that's person ultimate decision. And can't take it personal.

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:27 AM

BTW I do find it laughable that nothing happen to that burger,it sounds pretty weird!

.Peaches.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I seriously think that each person,each family has to do what they gotta do for them! kwim? Its always good to post cautions&make people aware but in the end its that's person ultimate decision. And can't take it personal.

I'm not in the business of taking things personal- I'd never make it as a nurse if I did.

But I find it irritating when people are given information- IMPORTANT health information, and don't do anything with it. Same people who end up with something totally preventable, crying their eyes out, claiming 'they didn't know'. Yeah, right. I probably should feel sorry for people like that...but I don't. Nobody deserves a number of the horrible diseases that are appearing in epidemic-like proportions, but when you're presented with information and ignore it, you kinda had it coming.

Its like plugging something into a wall socket with wet hands and getting shocked, then crying to the paramedics because you got shocked. Soo...what, you didn't expect that to possibly happen? You've been warned about that sort of thing from a very early age- did you think were invincible or something?

Black people are more serious about their hair then their health *SMH*

That's just MY personal rant. A hard head makes for a soft behind, some people just find out the hard (and unfortunate) way.

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:55 AM
Well not all concerned about just their hair. LOL But I guess you see a lot being your line of work!

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I'm not in the business of taking things personal- I'd never make it as a nurse if I did.

But I find it irritating when people are given information- IMPORTANT health information, and don't do anything with it. Same people who end up with something totally preventable, crying their eyes out, claiming 'they didn't know'. Yeah, right. I probably should feel sorry for people like that...but I don't. Nobody deserves a number of the horrible diseases that are appearing in epidemic-like proportions, but when you're presented with information and ignore it, you kinda had it coming.

Its like plugging something into a wall socket with wet hands and getting shocked, then crying to the paramedics because you got shocked. Soo...what, you didn't expect that to possibly happen? You've been warned about that sort of thing from a very early age- did you think were invincible or something?

Black people are more serious about their hair then their health *SMH*

That's just MY personal rant. A hard head makes for a soft behind, some people just find out the hard (and unfortunate) way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
latoya513
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Interesting....I'm shocked but who does that? Ida been thrown that way but wow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
latoya513
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Interesting....I'm shocked but who does that? Ida been thrown that way but wow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM
WoW, thanks for the info. Let me ask u this is anything that is from fast food restaurant good for u. Now I eat their oatmeal, drink their frappe, their hotcakes. Dinner I mostly get their fish sandwich. I might need to google and get the answer. But if u know anything about this please let me know. I eat my fish sandwich plain because of my high cholesterol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I understand what you're saying but if you want to be honest, there is no way to avoid it unless you grow all of your produce AND meat. I kid you not. And even planting your own produce, right now, you'll probably be subjecting your family to food that you'll find a problem with because a cmpany,

Monsanto, owns most of the seed used to make the plants we eat. They make bio-engineered seeds. That in itself isn't horrible but think about the effects it could have when 70-80% of all crops are of the same strand? It's not natural. They design the seeds to to be resistant to their insecticides, and the farmers are forced to use their insecticides. To top it off they are finding that some of their seeds are becoming immune to the insecticide. They bully the farmers into using only their seeds and they have a grip of farmers by the balls. When you have to sign a contract to plant a seed, something isn't right. Not only that but as large as Monsanto is, they bullied cattle farmers who produced milk also. That RBH( or whatever the chemical is) they put in the cows. They used such shady marketing tactics and sent their lawyers after everyone that now if a farmer does NOT use that chemical in their milk they have to print a disclosure on the label that states there has been no proof that something is wrong with milk that has it. See for yourself, it's somewhere in small print. That was mandated by a court. I could probably write you a novel on the crap this one company itself has done. Such as let it's jacked up chemicals taint natural waters and soil that people lived on. Do their own studies about their product and present the results to the FDA. Think about that for a second. A third partywho benefit nothing from the results didn't run any tests on the product, And of course the tests claim that the productis perfectly fine. We could even go with the people who work for the government that used to work for Monsanto.

I know b/c for a class I had to choose a company with a lot of legal issues and do TONS of research on it. Don't take my word for it, you can look it up yourself. I'm not saying not to ignore everything that's out there because it's unavoidable. I'm saying going crazy over the product that's "bad" for you this week and not consuming the next product that is a hot mess the following week will have you stressed and not eating anything. Once we became a consumer nation, producing foods at mass levels, we subjected ourselves to these things. Taking that control back, definitely not easy eiahter. Imagine everyone having a little piece of land with their own produce and own livestock (not full blown farms, just sustenance farming). what happens to the urine run off of the animals? The feces? That nasty neighbor down the way. Preventing disease, umm limiting family vacations and if living is tough now, once kids leave and parents get old, maintaining that would be near impossible. I suppose it opens the door for new businesses who cater to those needs. But the point is, we have to be careful about what we consume and about how we go crazy about the latest food that is horrible for us. We may just be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

babybarber
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

That article also stated that a HOMEMADE burger went without going bad as well...................

Even if you ate all organic, free-range, etc foods you do realize you can STILL get those "food-avoidable" conditions, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)