Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SOPA/PIPA *piog*

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 11 Replies
Congress is about to pass internt censorship, even though the vast majority of Americans opposed. The senate is scheduled to vote on the internet censorship bill on TUESDAY JANUARY 24TH and unless we can find 41 senators to block the vote, its going to pass!

If it passes no more ( think no more) facebook,craigslist, wikipedia, google, yahoo, ebay, aol, twitter, LinkedIn, Mozilla, etsy,

http://americancensorship.org/

At the bottom of a page is a part where you can email them I think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smiley83
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bossygrand
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

my son was tellling me about this and he is mad pissed, he says he will not b voting this next election if it passes.. don't know how this is gonna effect social media as he and others have gained from the use of it. I don't think it gonna shut down these site but they will b well monitered.

"I stand for something, so don't think i will fall for anything"

http://www.reverbnation.com/store/artist_220052

Toots_Sam
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I think, its just gonna be super monitored not actually shut down. I'm sure the powers that be realize if they shut down facebook the earth will stop spinning on its axel and all hell will break loose. Some folks would literally DIE without facebook.

Quoting bossygrand:

my son was tellling me about this and he is mad pissed, he says he will not b voting this next election if it passes.. don't know how this is gonna effect social media as he and others have gained from the use of it. I don't think it gonna shut down these site but they will b well monitered.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sexychica25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM
I need my social networking.
I don't say or post anything that will get me any indictment so I'm good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xx.felisha.xx
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Shit, I will say and do whatever I want on my fb! Freedom of speech. Don't like it they can kiss my ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I don't think it will mean the shutting down of facebook,craigslist, wikipedia, google, yahoo, ebay, aol, twitter, LinkedIn, Mozilla, etsy ...   But if it does it could hurt the U.S. economy as these sites are used by advertisers for advertising their products / services to sell, even though they are free to the average users.  Also some other country can jump in that doesn't have this type of censorship (ie. Canada, Australia, U.K.) and come up with something similar to FB.

BTW, good post, very interesting topic.

mamababies3
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

It is a huge deal. Lets say you post a video to youtube of your DD dancing to Lady GaGa. That would be taken down, because it has Lady gaga music. Anything of pics., brands, and so on would get the host (like fb or craigslist) in trouble. Blogs would get into trouble. Jobs would be lost. List goes on. It is a step on our rights! I will not be like China.

Today while on Perezhilton (haha...reading this on a blog makes me laugh) I did see this...

The White House Will Not Support Controversial Internet Piracy Bills SOPA or PIPA

Filed under: Politik > Barack Obama

Obama SOPA Bill

The internet has been banding together over the last few weeks to fight the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) and has just gained a very powerful ally — the White House!

In a statement responding to two petitions against the bills from the House of Representatives and the Senate, the Obama administration officials wrote:

"While we believe that online piracy by foreign websites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet."

Critics of both bills believe they may grant the government too much regulatory power on the internet which could result in censorship.

Clearly the White House agrees, however, the reiterates that "online piracy is a real problem that harms the American economy" and suggests the debate is far from over, continuing:

"Moving forward, we will continue to work with Congress on a bipartisan basis on legislation that provides new tools needed in the global fight against piracy and counterfeiting, while vigorously defending an open Internet based on the values of free expression, privacy, security and innovation. Again, thank you for taking the time to participate in this important process. We hope you’ll continue to be part of it."

Piracy is bogus, but we'd prefer they stop it in a way that doesn't affect the creativity and free speech of millions of users who do not illegally download movies or music.

Do U support or oppose SOPA and PIPA?

Reddit.com will be protesting on the 18th and craigslist.com has info on their website.

xx.felisha.xx
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM
We won't be able to post ANYTHING. Kids wear clothing brands, everone wears clothes: brands!

Quoting mamababies3:

It is a huge deal. Lets say you post a video to youtube of your DD dancing to Lady GaGa. That would be taken down, because it has Lady gaga music. Anything of pics., brands, and so on would get the host (like fb or craigslist) in trouble. Blogs would get into trouble. Jobs would be lost. List goes on. It is a step on our rights! I will not be like China.

Today while on Perezhilton (haha...reading this on a blog makes me laugh) I did see this...

The White House Will Not Support Controversial Internet Piracy Bills SOPA or PIPA

Obama SOPA Bill

The internet has been banding together over the last few weeks to fight the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) and has just gained a very powerful ally — the White House!

In a statement responding to two petitions against the bills from the House of Representatives and the Senate, the Obama administration officials wrote:

"While we believe that online piracy by foreign websites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet."

Critics of both bills believe they may grant the government too much regulatory power on the internet which could result in censorship.

Clearly the White House agrees, however, the reiterates that "online piracy is a real problem that harms the American economy" and suggests the debate is far from over, continuing:

"Moving forward, we will continue to work with Congress on a bipartisan basis on legislation that provides new tools needed in the global fight against piracy and counterfeiting, while vigorously defending an open Internet based on the values of free expression, privacy, security and innovation. Again, thank you for taking the time to participate in this important process. We hope you’ll continue to be part of it."

Piracy is bogus, but we'd prefer they stop it in a way that doesn't affect the creativity and free speech of millions of users who do not illegally download movies or music.

Reddit.com will be protesting on the 18th and craigslist.com has info on their website.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamababies3
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I know. It's a huge deal, and I am floored that the US is even in this position.

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

We won't be able to post ANYTHING. Kids wear clothing brands, everone wears clothes: brands!

Quoting mamababies3:

Obama SOPA Bill

xx.felisha.xx
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Exactly. Freedom of speech ain't so free anymore.

Quoting mamababies3:

I know. It's a huge deal, and I am floored that the US is even in this position.

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting mamababies3:

Obama SOPA Bill

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)