Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going natural without big chop

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 23 Replies
Hi. I have always wanted to go natural with my hair but chopping off ally hair is what has stopped me. So has anyome done it in this group? Any tips for sucess? Do u have picks of how ur hair turned out? I havent had a perm in two months but I domt thonk im takimg care of ot right because I use pink oil m
oistrizer,bb grease and nothing else. Any products for natural hair?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
becauseoflove
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Help please
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bxbsmommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM
I'm doing that right now. I haven't had a relaxer in 22 months. I plan on.cutting the relaxed hair off in march.

I suggest going to curlynikki.com and joining the forum.
that site had tons of information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bxbsmommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Also join the group Black Hair Care here on CM. Lots of info there too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Bump I wanna do that too op
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I've transitioned and done the big chop. Since I've done the big chop before, its no big deal for me to chop off my hair anymore. I used to have pics of me after I did my first BC (I had only about an inch of hair) but I can no longer find them. The second time, I transitioned for about 6 months then chopped it all off.

But just starting out, if you're not ready, the sudden lack of hair can produce anxiety and be difficult to deal with. For that reason, I don't advocate BC'ing unless you're just ready to be done with dealing with the two textures.

As far as products for your hair, its really individual...what works for one person may not work for the next. At the risk of becoming a product junkie, you really do have to try things out. There are tons of natural products for hair, and some you can make yourself. Google 'natural hair products'. Once again, it really just depends on your hair.

Manipulate your hair as little as possible, because where the two textures meet (called the line of demarcation) is a stress point, and where hair is most prone to break off. Compared to your natural hair, your relaxed hair is a lot weaker because of the chemical bonds that have been broken, so you need to treat your relaxed ends with lots of TLC until you're ready to get rid of them.

Keeping your hair in braids or braided styles, twist outs, braid outs, and even wigs (give you hair time to breathe in between wearings!) are good protective styles.

My hair home is nappturality.com, the ladies there are very helpful and friendly, and I've learned so much in the 8 years I've been a part of that forum.

MyJaidon
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My hair was really short before I stopped relaxing it in Oct 2010. I never bc'd or put a pair of scissors to my hair and its retaining length just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyJaidon
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Another pic. Im very plain jane lol. Thats my natural hair color as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanishagreene
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Hey Im in the process of doing that now I would suggest stopping the relaxers, establishing a good viatmin intake daily, getting a good workout on vitamins and workout are good for scalp stimultion, and blood flow to strengthen the hair fallocals, and just keep your hair trimmed every two weeks and eventually you will cut out all the relaxed hair. keep your hair deep condiitioned evry two weeks, and for me because my hair is pretty thin for the most part I only use oil (vitale olive oil) and vasiline on my hair. Grease usually clogs my hair fallucoles whereas vaseline is thin enough to keep my scalp oil but not clog it. And that should do it for you. I wish you well with that!!!!!!

SiriSilasMom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM
I personally wore extensions for a year, then I started my locs. That was 9 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
becauseoflove
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Thank u ladies. Yoube beem very helpfulful. I havent relaxed in 3 months and have started. Doo
U blow dry or ai
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)