• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 5 Replies
Do you have a child with this disability? If so what kind of help did you get for your child? My child is on medicine, in which they just up to 10 milligram. And he is still having problem in school. The teacher sent me a letters saying he is not passing kindergarten. I don't know what else to do. He has a behavior problem, he was out of control. He would get beaten, this was before the doctor told us he was ADHD. The teacher was showing us the bruise he would make on them. It was terrible, he would threaten to run away from the school. Last month he locked himself in the bathroom and would not let, the teacher in. She fell over a chair trying to get him out. I had to leave the hair dressers ( I was sitting under the dryer). because the teacher said he could not stay. And this is not the first time I had to pick him up. I don't know what else to do. Oh he takes the medicine twice a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
happybingme
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

My son has ADHD and I initially had signed him up for Community Support Services.  You may want to get a Diagnostic Assessment done and get a referral for a local agency.  I don't know the protocols for your state, but you can get a Paraprofessional, Associate Professional assigned to him to work with him in school.  Also, upon getting your Diagnostic Assessment, you need to have a Crisis Management Team or Plan drawn up that will identify who to call or what to do in case he acts out (again).  Also, the Community Support Team will work with your child in the home as well as out in the Community by engaging him in activities and redirect him as to the right way to act.

I elected this option before medication, and it works fine.  Of course, we have had MINOR setbacks.  But onve we re-grouped and located another agency, we got right back in the swing of things.  And I must say, even a change in school and/or teacher makes a difference.  If you want to explore that option, I think every state allows you to change teachers for your child until they are in the 6th grade(?)  Just don't quote me.

karmasabitch178
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM
I have it and so does my son. He hasn't been on medication but his dad wants him to get on it because he is off the chain
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I have decided to do some research, to find a school that will help him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happybingme
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I had a girlfriend whose son had it real bad.  She gave him prescribed medication but I personally hated the side effects:  1) He would be zombie like through out the course of the day.  However, the school loved it because he was quiet as a mouse. 2) No appetite - He would never eat or be in the mood to eat. 3) Late nights - It was hard to have him over for a sleepover.  He would be up watching TV two and three o'clock in the morning. 4) If he did not take meds, they are worst off!!!  He would bounce all over the house.  Like a nerve-wrecking fly that buzzes everywhere.

If anything, please be careful.  Get a sample first and try it.  If you like the results, go for the full Rx.  But please seek other options too.

Do you know that LEGO blocks are the best thing in the world?  We bought our son a 100+ piece Lego block set and my goodness!  Not only did that work at home, but we were allowed to bring it in the school for those rainy/cold days when the kids could not go outside.

Also, we gave my son a wristband that looks similar to a telephone cord, and when he feels frustrated he fiddles with that.  I was told by one teacher that if a kid with ADHD has the tendency to get out of their seats, they try to find a heavy item to keep in his lap to keep him still (like a telephone book or dictionary) and make a game out it.

Sorry for so many response, but I a firm believer in alternative solutions before relying on medications.

Oh yeah, one more thing, ask for a IEP (or this other plan called a Section something), it is beneficial for him as a student throughout college. 

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM

My husband has it and there is a high chance our oldest has it but we're both against the medicine for it. My MIL came up with some ways to help curb him and his brother when they were younger (they didn't like the medicine) and has been kind enough to give some to me because my 3 year old is insane.

Have you asked your son why he acts out at school? Perhaps their is something about the class or teacher he really doesn't like. My little brother wasn't ADHD but he didn't like loud noises or noisy places/people so he would run away from his classroom and hide in mine under my desk until I went to middle school and he couldn't run to me. Then he'd just hide in the school library until someone found him or throw a tantrum. It was because to him it was too loud and the teacher spoke to loud.

It may be that he is overstimulated in his class. My husband was off the chain in regular classes until he got older (high school) and was better able to cope. When he was in alternative he was better able to focus and didn't act out as much. Is there away that you could get him into an alternative class or at least a smaller class?

Does he have extra curricular activities? That could help to calm him down as well since he has an outlet for his hyperactivity plus an incentive not to act on what ever is running through his head.

Also how fast does he come down off the medicine? I ask because my husband says that when he's on the meds it makes him feel like he's just trapped in his head so that when he came down anything that bothered him while it was still in effect bothered him 10x more and he'd have more time to think about it. As a result before he had to take his next dose he was a nightmare. You might have to find a way to adjust his schedule so that he takes the medicine more than twice daily. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)