Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no, youre not gonna convince me that "ghetto" doesnt mean "black"...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
  • 186 Replies

what is up with these bitches on CM using "ghetto" like it doesnt mean black?

You cant just reinvent some shit because you dont wanna feel racist!

ghetto=black

barrio=mexican

Trash=white

asians are off the hook.

Am I wrong to be mad about it? you cant just call someone ghetto. right? you can call someTHING ghetto but not someONE, without having to explain...

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karmasabitch178
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My mom calls me ghetto because I talk "slang" sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, I made a post about the term the other day but it was more along the lines of how it's used and who it's referring to. People feel differently about its use so I didn't really come to a conclusion about it. Ummm, yeah I think the way most people use it, it does mean black. And I think it's use has just become something people throw out there whenever something reminds them of something someone in the ghetto does, usually a black person. And the REAL meaning of the word is lost. Sooo, maybe just call it slang???

godsgirl26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM
7 moms liked this

Why on this whole earth do u let that kind of stuff get to u. Let me just say this GHETTO does not = black all the time. u have ghetto people of all different races to be honest with u.

bxbsmommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM
I've noticed a few of your replies lately, are you not offended by any negativity that the black race receives?

Quoting godsgirl26:

Why on this whole earth do u let that kind of stuff get to u. Let me just say this GHETTO does not = black all the time. u have ghetto people of all different races to be honest with u.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM
5 moms liked this
No, I do not associate the word ghetto with being black...

The word ghetto wasn't even first used as a description for black people. It is not exclusive to our race. The word was first used to describe the slums where poor immigrants lived. Somehow, over the years, it has evolved into a word that is descriptive to actions. I've mainly heard our own race use the word against ourselves though. And on CM, I've heard other races use the word against themselves as well. And if they are using it to describe the actions of black people, so be it, because every race is guilty of doing some questionable hood shit.

I won't say you're wrong to be mad about it, but I will say that it sounds like a personal problem.

godsgirl26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, that mess do not get to me at all,  i look pass that, i have no time for negative stuff at all. i wont let me get to me, sometimes it hurts to see people downing our race, but I WILL NOT let that get to me.

Quoting bxbsmommy:

I've noticed a few of your replies lately, are you not offended by any negativity that the black race receives?

Quoting godsgirl26:

godsgirl26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM
3 moms liked this

U know what really is getting to me I'm so tired of this whole black and white mess. NOONE is never going to get along with this racism , hate, i don't like u because of this color mess. if we can just get along with each other this world would be so much better.

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM
4 moms liked this

*sigh*Another pet peeve of mine! Ghetto doesn't=black!!

godsgirl26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank u oh my strawberries.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

*sigh*Another pet peeve of mine! Ghetto doesn't=black!!

happybingme
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Really. . .I think you sound more racist than those who constantly THINK that is the clear definition.

That's like saying when someone acts niggardly, it's a black thang.  

Just simply call it as you see it. . .ignorant!!!

Definition of GHETTO

: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
a : an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto>b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <the pink-collar ghetto>

Definition of NIGGARDLY

: grudgingly mean about spending or granting : begrudging
: provided in meanly limited supply
— nig·gard·li·ness noun
— niggardly adverb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)