Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Hay Ladies,

Please post any recipes you would like to share here, I am trying to get the Cafemom team to add a sticky to this post so that it is always available.

baking

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
sweetiepie81
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm just a carnivore lol! When i make spaghetti i must have meat, salad/broccoli & garlic bread!

Quoting proudmomof2653:

I do not use meat allthe time but if i do i only put half a lb. in it but when it is done like this, I think that it tastes good without it.

Quoting sweetiepie81:

Where the damn meat?! Lol!

Quoting proudmomof2653:

This is how i make my spaghetti.

First, i get a pan and put a splashh of oil in it just to cover the bottom,(olive oil is best because of the flavor) than i get 2 red peppers, 2 green peppers and 2 big onions and saute' them until peppers are nice and soft and onions are translucent,

Now while they are cooking in the pan, my water should be boiling at this point so i boil the noodles than when the peppers and the onions are done, i pour in my spaghetti sauce in with them and let it simmer while the noodles are boiling, when spaghetti is al dente' i put the noodles in altogether with the peppers and onion and sauce and voila dinner is done.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Baked Brie

Baked Brie

During the holidays, a mom blogger shared a recipe for something called baked brie.  It sounded divine and like something i just had to try.  The original recipe called for canned biscuit croissant dough and a lot of other things i didn’t want to use.  So i figured i would  simply make my own croissants and just fill up the inside with brie. I used a go-to croissant recipe from one of my new favorite cook books, Frame by Frame baking and winged the rest.  Here are my results! ;-)

Ingredients

Croissants

3 ½ cups all-purpose flour

3 TBSP organic cane sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp active dry yeast

1½ cups lukewarm milk

1¼ cups butter, softened

1 egg, beaten

Filling

½ lb of brie cheese

1 TBSP fresh herbs finely chopped (I used oregano and thyme)

1 tsp dried lavender

preheat oven to 400°  Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in the center and add milk. Mix to a soft dough, adding more milk if too dry. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.  Place in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk.

Meanwhile place butter between two sheets of parchment paper and flatten with a rolling-pin to form a ¼ inch thick rectangle. Set aside in the refrigerator until required.

Knead dough for 1 minute, remove the butter from refrigerator and roll out dough into a large rectangle shape. Place butter in the center of dough, folding up the sides and squeezing the edges together gently.  With the short end of the dough toward you, fold the top third down and the bottom third up.

Give the dough a quarter turn and roll out as big as original rectangle and fold again. If butter feels soft, wrap dough in plastic and chill.  Repeat process 4 more times. This is how the croissant gets its flaky insides, so don’t skip these steps.

Once croissant dough is rolled into a large rectangle tear brie into pieces and drop directly into the middle of dough.  Sprinkle with fresh herbs and lavender.  Then carefully fold dough onto brie to be sure that cheese is totally covered and parts of dough is overlapping.

Place on large baking dish lined with parchment paper.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until croissant bread is done and edges start to turn golden brown.  Cool completely and then serve.

a_leigh_d
by Group Mod on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Yup...pepperoni.  It's well seasoned so it gives the sauce that extra sum'n sum'n

Quoting sweetiepie81:

Pepperoni? I've used ground turkey & italian sausage.. Hmm something new to try!

Quoting a_leigh_d:

LOL!!! Mix equal amount of ground beef and Italian sausage, brown, drain, add chopped pepperoni, onion/pepper combo that she listed (I saute garlic too) and Italian seasoning. Simmer.

Quoting sweetiepie81:

Quoting proudmomof2653:

First, i get a pan and put a splashh of oil in it just to cover the bottom,(olive oil is best because of the flavor) than i get 2 red peppers, 2 green peppers and 2 big onions and saute' them until peppers are nice and soft and onions are translucent,

Now while they are cooking in the pan, my water should be boiling at this point so i boil the noodles than when the peppers and the onions are done, i pour in my spaghetti sauce in with them and let it simmer while the noodles are boiling, when spaghetti is al dente' i put the noodles in altogether with the peppers and onion and sauce and voila dinner is done.

sweetiepie81
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM
I'ma need u to post dat turkey burger recipe p&ty!

Quoting Alyson121:

I made Pad Thai and Pineapple Fried Rice.  It was really simple.  I used a recipe app i downloaded and tweaked it a bit.

Basically the fried rice used precooked basmati rice (i made it the day before).  Fresh pineapple, raw cashews, raisins, fresh cilantro, grated carrots, and fresh tomatoes.  Shrimp and/or chicken could also be added as well.  The sauce was made of butter and ghee (which is clarified butter), sesame oil, coconut amino (a non soy version of soy sauce), a TBSP of raw sugar and a bit of fresh squeezed lime juice.

It turned our very well.  The Pad Thai uses the same basic ingredients except egg is added and tofu is used as well as bean sprouts.

I'll write up a recipe on my site when i get a chance.  I was also thinking about during video for it as well. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Flax seed Yogurt Pancakes

Flax seed Yogurt Pancakes

I wanted dinner tonight to be simple and filling because it was getting late and i really didn’t feel like cooking.  My go-to “fast food” meal on nights where i don’t want to cook are buttermilk pancakes. However, it typically takes me an hour to get those ready because i have to curd the milk first with apple cider vinegar and then it’s another hour to cook all those pancakes for 5 hungry children and 1 pancake loving hubby.  So tonight i made some quick and yummy flax seed pancakes using a baking mix.

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose baking mix (i used a gluten free and wheat free brand)

½ cup ground flax seed

2 eggs

1 cup plain yogurt

½ cup whole milk

2 TBSP sunflower oil

butter for cooking pancakes

Directions

In a large bowl, mix baking mix and ground flax seed.  Next add eggs, yogurt, milk and oil.  Mix well and until batter is free of lumps.

Heat up a griddle or pan on medium heat.  Add a dab of butter to pan and about ¼ cup of pancake batter.  Cook on both sides until pancake is done.

Garnish with fresh fruit and serve hot.  Eat and enjoy!

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

LOL. . . I forgot all about that.

The basic ingredients are turkey (of course ;-) ) and pure maple syrup (i keep a HUGE mason jar of pure maple syrup in the frig. But you can buy a smaller bottle for about $10 at Whole Foods, probably Trader Joes or any other natural food store).  I seasoned with celtic sea salt and black pepper (didn't want to over powder the maple flavor).  

I used about 2 lbs of ground turkey i bought from the butcher

about 1/4 - 1/2 cup pure maple syrup

salt and pepper (but not too much)

I also added about 1/3 cups thick rolled oats to help keep the burgers together.  

Let it marinate overnight in a plastic bag or at least 1 hour before cooking.

Roll out the patties and bake in over on about 350 degrees.

I can't remember what cheese i put on them.

Serve on whole wheat burger buns or rye bread or any other kind of hearty bread.  

I also made some "apple fries" but that recipe needs some WORK.  LOL

Quoting sweetiepie81:

Quoting Alyson121:

sweetiepie81
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Thank u!!!! I remember i saw that recipe when i was pregnant & went to drooling, got my butt & made a regular turkey burger lol

Quoting Alyson121:

LOL. . . I forgot all about that.

The basic ingredients are turkey (of course ;-) ) and pure maple syrup (i keep a HUGE mason jar of pure maple syrup in the frig. But you can buy a smaller bottle for about $10 at Whole Foods, probably Trader Joes or any other natural food store).  I seasoned with celtic sea salt and black pepper (didn't want to over powder the maple flavor).  

I used about 2 lbs of ground turkey i bought from the butcher

about 1/4 - 1/2 cup pure maple syrup

salt and pepper (but not too much)

I also added about 1/3 cups thick rolled oats to help keep the burgers together.  

Let it marinate overnight in a plastic bag or at least 1 hour before cooking.

Roll out the patties and bake in over on about 350 degrees.

I can't remember what cheese i put on them.

Serve on whole wheat burger buns or rye bread or any other kind of hearty bread.  

I also made some "apple fries" but that recipe needs some WORK.  LOL

Quoting sweetiepie81:

Quoting Alyson121:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tamikadorch26
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Potato Tot Layers With Cheese

Put cooked ground meat on bottom, green beans drained out next , a can of cream of mushroom (you can use milk in its place) , then put uncooked potato tots on top. Bake on 350F.  Wait until tots are brown then add cheese on top. My kids love this meal and its feeds a big family. Quick and fun to make. (10-15 minutes depends on stove)

hismommy2010
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom calls this "turketti" ( not sure why cause it doesn't contain any turkey)

Ingredients:

3-4 boneless chicken breast ( boiled)

1 can of cream of mushroom

1 can of cream of chicken

1 green bell pepper

1 small onion

1 block velveeta cheese

1 bag of elbow mac noodles

Boil chicke, then pull it apart with forks

boil the noodles til done, and drain.

place half the block of cheese in the cooked drained noodles, and melt the cheese into the noodles ( we nuke it and keep stirring, til melted)

then add the cream of chicken and mushroom, and diced bell pepper and onions. mix all together....

then place in a baking pan ( cake pan) place a few slices of the velveeta cheese to cover the top, and bake until the cheese slices on top are brown.....

sparkle11971
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Minus the pepperoni part I do this same thing

Quoting a_leigh_d:

LOL!!! Mix equal amount of ground beef and Italian sausage, brown, drain, add chopped pepperoni, onion/pepper combo that she listed (I saute garlic too) and Italian seasoning. Simmer.

Quoting sweetiepie81:

Quoting proudmomof2653:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN