Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Hay Ladies,

Please post any recipes you would like to share here, I am trying to get the Cafemom team to add a sticky to this post so that it is always available.

baking

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

homemade salsa...my daughter (13yo) loves to make this...since i started making my own it's hard to eat store bought salsa lol you can also drop all of the ingredients in a magic bullet or food processor but my experience with doing it that was wasn't good at all lol it looked disgusting and was practically pureed and i prefer it to be chunky...it's your call but don't say i didn't warn you l ol

2-3 medium tomatoes chopped (sometimes i just use 2 plus a can of diced tomatoes with the juice...it makes more and it's a little juicier)

handful of fresh cilantro chopped

1/2 onion chopped

juice from fresh lime, 1 or 2 limes depending on size and your taste (some ppl use lemon)

1 garlic clove chopped real fine (or a couple shakes of garlic powder...not garlic salt)

jalepeno pepper seeded and chopped, optional (i dont add one anymore b/c ive used one twice before but couldn't tell the diff in taste/heat much plus no amount of oil or lemon or vinegar could stop my fingers from hurting after touching that thing the second time!) trust me when i say don't touch it with your bare fingers...

put all that stuff in a large bowl and mix well and refrigerate at least an hr or 2 so that the flavors can meld then tear that ish up with tortilla chips or use as a topping on tacos/burritos/nachos/etc...

graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM
5 moms liked this

Peach Dump Cake (for when i want some peach cobbler but don't wanna make it...actually i've never made peach cobbler before lol)

box of yellow cake mix (and all the stuff to make it per the directions)

big can of yellow cling peaches

small can of yellow cling peaches

1c of white sugar

a few pats of butter (i use vegan butter and it's still yummy)

cinnamon (bout 2 tsp)

mix the cake according to instructions (if you eat a vegan diet, subbing everything with vegan versions works fine...i use ener-g egg replacer) and set aside.

oh, preheat the oven and all that good junk too...i use any cake pan but what works best is a glass baking dish.

in a large bowl mix the cans of peaches (with juice), sugar, and cinnamon.

pour the peach-y stuff in the baking dish making sure the peaches are evenly spaced.

put 3 or 4 pats of butter on top (anywhere is fine and i actually forget about this part almost everytime i make this so no butter is fine)

next, carefully pour the cake batter on top of the peaches making an even layer. i usually use the spoon to very carefully spread the batter over the peach mix to make sure the whole thing is covered.

last, throw that sucker in the oven (gently), bake at 350 deg for 45 mins i think...i say 'i think' bc i don't remember the original instructions (this is something my aunt showed me how to do lol) and i always end up baking mine no less than an hr but thats normally b/c i'm using a jacked up oven...gas, elec...doesn't matter, i always have to cook my ish longer lol

when the cake is done, it wont jiggle, will spring back but make sure there's no gooey batter (poke the middle with a butter knife)...you will have (on the underneath part) cake that's wet from the peach juice but you'll know the difference. and you WILL have some peach juice still in the bottom...normally my cakes get pretty brown and start to crack when it's done...omg it's heavenly....i hope this made sense lol

1214Choc
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

1/3 cup chopped pecan
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a small skillet over medium heat, saute pecans in butter until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, stir together brown sugar, egg yolks and half and half until smooth. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in cream, vanilla and pecans.
  3. Chill the ice cream base before putting into ice cream maker.
  4. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers' directions.
Bethea7
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

CARMELIZED CHICKEN WINGS

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 CUPS OF WATER

2 CUPS OF SUGAR

2 TBSP PEANUT BUTTER

1/3 CUP OF SOY SAUCE

1 TBSP OF MINCED GARLIC

1 TBSP OF HONEY

12 SMALL PARTY WINGS OR 5 CHICKEN WINGS

*OPTIONAL  (HOW EVER MUCH RED PEPPER FLAKES YOU FANCY FOR SPICYNESS)

COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS EXCEPT CHICKEN  IN DEEP PAN MIX UNTIL SUGAR DISSOLVES ON MEDIUM HEAT.

WHEN SUGAR DISSOLVES  ADD CHICKEN, COVER AND LET COOK ON MED-LOW HEAT FOR 30 -45 MINUTES  AND YOU'RE DONE!!!

KEEP CHECKING ON IT BC SUGAR BURNS EASILY AND TURN DOWN THE HAET IF YOU NEED TO BUT COOK A LIL LONGER

Lattejavagirl
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Chicken Manicotti

Needed: Chicken Breast

2 jars of alfredo sauce

Shredded cheese

Manicotti noddles

Vinegar

Oil

Soak about 6-8 pieces of chicken breast in half oil, half vinegar for 30 min. This will help to make the chicken stringy. Place chicken in a skillet or on a griddle to cook. Cut the chicken while cooking to ensure that it is cook all the way through. While waiting for chicken to cook, begin to boil water for manicotti noddles. Follow instrustions on box. Allow chicken to cool after fully cooked and begin to pull chicken apart. After chicken is completely separated, add alfredo sauce and shredded cheese. Mix together thoroghly. Then begin to stuff the mixture into the manicotti noddles. Be careful because the noddles are soft and may rip. Place stuffed manicotti in a pan side by side. Pour remaining jar of alfredo sause over the stuffed manicotti. Place in oven to cook for 15-20 min.

LaSandra Adams

http://www.adamsjava.organogold.com/

(479) 522-1159

Be a Blessing to Others!!!!

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yummy it sounds like you are making something pretty healthy

Quoting Alyson121:

I made Pad Thai and Pineapple Fried Rice.  It was really simple.  I used a recipe app i downloaded and tweaked it a bit.

Basically the fried rice used precooked basmati rice (i made it the day before).  Fresh pineapple, raw cashews, raisins, fresh cilantro, grated carrots, and fresh tomatoes.  Shrimp and/or chicken could also be added as well.  The sauce was made of butter and ghee (which is clarified butter), sesame oil, coconut amino (a non soy version of soy sauce), a TBSP of raw sugar and a bit of fresh squeezed lime juice.

It turned our very well.  The Pad Thai uses the same basic ingredients except egg is added and tofu is used as well as bean sprouts.

I'll write up a recipe on my site when i get a chance.  I was also thinking about during video for it as well. 

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to try to make this...

Quoting graciefreesoul:

Peach Dump Cake (for when i want some peach cobbler but don't wanna make it...actually i've never made peach cobbler before lol)

1c of white sugar

cinnamon (bout 2 tsp)

mix the cake according to instructions (if you eat a vegan diet, subbing everything with vegan versions works fine...i use ener-g egg replacer) and set aside.

oh, preheat the oven and all that good junk too...i use any cake pan but what works best is a glass baking dish.

pour the peach-y stuff in the baking dish making sure the peaches are evenly spaced.

put 3 or 4 pats of butter on top (anywhere is fine and i actually forget about this part almost everytime i make this so no butter is fine)

next, carefully pour the cake batter on top of the peaches making an even layer. i usually use the spoon to very carefully spread the batter over the peach mix to make sure the whole thing is covered.

last, throw that sucker in the oven (gently), bake at 350 deg for 45 mins i think...i say 'i think' bc i don't remember the original instructions (this is something my aunt showed me how to do lol) and i always end up baking mine no less than an hr but thats normally b/c i'm using a jacked up oven...gas, elec...doesn't matter, i always have to cook my ish longer lol

when the cake is done, it wont jiggle, will spring back but make sure there's no gooey batter (poke the middle with a butter knife)...you will have (on the underneath part) cake that's wet from the peach juice but you'll know the difference. and you WILL have some peach juice still in the bottom...normally my cakes get pretty brown and start to crack when it's done...omg it's heavenly....i hope this made sense lol

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Okay that sounds easy and fast,

Quoting graciefreesoul:

1c of white sugar

cinnamon (bout 2 tsp)

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM

My Gourmet Tuna Recipe

Copyright 2012 By KymberleeAnn

You are free to make this for your family

You will need

!/4 cup fresh  finely chopped dill

1/4 cup fresh finely chopped parsley

1/4 cup fresh diced onion

1/4 cup fresh finely chopped celery

1/2 cup fresh baby spinach

1/2 cup fresh diced Fuji apples

1/2 sweet dried cranberries

3  5oz cans of tuna (1 can in oil, 2 cans in water)

1-1/2 cup of mayo

a pitch of salt and pepper (optional)

1 teaspoon of Adobo (seasoning)

Small pitch of dried Tarragon

Just a pitch of dried, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, and paprika

One large cucumber

large croissants

In large mixing bowl put all the water ingredients in after you drain the tuna well put the tuna into the large mixing bowl first, then all the herbs, the dill, parsley, the onions, the celery, the Fuji apples, and the cranberries.

Add the Mayo

salt and pepper, adobo, tarragon, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, and paprika.  Mix all the ingredients together in the large mixing bowl.

Wash and dry the large cucumber and baby spinach

Slice cucumber in thin slices.

Slice open the large croissant, layer the baby spinach then the thinly sliced cucumber,

Spoon the desired amount of tuna on top of the croissant and serve with veggie chips or what ever you like.

For personal use only, not to be used for resale or duplicated without written permission from author KymberleeAnn.

Thank you enjoy!

graciefreesoul
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM

it's very easy and fast til i get to the baking part...maybe mine takes longer b/c i sub stuff?? if you think using a whole cup of sugar is too much go with 3/4 cup...like i said, my aunt showed me how to do this so there's really no REAL recipe with measured ingredients lol i really should name this one 'bad for me dump cake' b/c i eat too much of it/it doesn't last long in my house...i hope you make it and enjoy it...

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Okay that sounds easy and fast,

Quoting graciefreesoul:

1c of white sugar

cinnamon (bout 2 tsp)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)