Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hay Ladies,

Please post any recipes you would like to share here, I am trying to get the Cafemom team to add a sticky to this post so that it is always available.

baking

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
graciefreesoul
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

sent the pic in a PM...

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

That's wonderful, yeah vegan meals require a little ingenuity and creativity but I have tasted some vegan meals and they where great! I look forward to seeing the picture.

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Watermelon, Cucumber and Basil Salad

Watermelon, Cucumber and Basil Salad

This juicy and delicious salad was made quite by accident.  I originally planned to make a salad with strawberries and basil from a recipe i saw on Pinterest.  However, when i went grocery shopping i bought watermelon instead.  Well, turns out that watermelon and basil make a nice combination after all.

Ingredients

Watermelon, cut into chunks (i used a small melon)

Cucumber, sliced

Fresh basil, finely chopped (about 12 leaves)

1 TBSP honey

1 meyer lemon, juiced

1 TBSP apple cider vinegar

pinch, coarse sea salt

Directions

Cut and dice watermelon into nice bit sized chunks  Slice cucumber, with skin on and set aside.  Remove basil leaves from stem, layer one on top of the other, roll them up and chop finely.  In a large bowl add honey and juice of lemon.  Mix well.  Next add apple cider vinegar and sea salt.  Add chopped basil to lemon honey mixture and stir until basil is soaked and incorporated in the juices.

Next, add cucumbers and gently mix.  Last, add watermelon.  Gently stir to coat watermelon with lemon honey juice.  You may have to use our hands to be sure that everything is mixed.  Serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes and serve as a start to meal.

This salad is great on its on or as a side dish.

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Banana Date Honey Cake

Banana Date Honey Cake

I was in the mood for something sweet.  Well, that’s not true.  I wanted to get rid of all the super browning bananas on my countertop and in my fridge.  I’d made about all the smoothies i cared to drink and needed to ditch those babies and fast.  Since i wasn’t in the mood for banana bread and i wanted something i could make quick, this recipe came to mind.  Plus i wanted to do something with the dates that seemed to be wasting away in the pantry. Seems like banana, dates and honey go quite well together.

Ingredients

3 ripe bananas, smashed

¼ cup butter, melted

½ cup coconut oil

½ to ¾ cup raw honey

2 eggs, beaten

2 cups all-purpose baking mix (i used Pamela’s Gluten and Wheat free baking mix)

8 dates, pitted and rough chopped

Directions

In a large mixing bowl add bananas and smash them until they are slightly runny.  Add melted butter, coconut oil, honey and mix well.  Next, add beaten eggs and mix until just incorporated. Baking mix should be added one cup at a time, mixing after each addition.  Last, stir in chopped dates.

Coat a bunt pan with coconut oil.  Spoon cake batter into bunt pan.  Place in a 350° oven for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.  Let cool and then remove cake from pan.  Slice, eat and enjoy ;-)

MandiFuego
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

FRENCH FRIES

YOU'LL NEED POTATOES (I USE RUSSET)

ICE WATER IN A NICE SIZE BOWL

GREASE

DEEP PAN ( I USE MY CAST IRON SKILLET)

SLOTTED SPATULA

PAPER TOWELS OR SOMETHING FOR ABSORBING THE GREASE

AND A PLATE TO REST THEM ON

I TAKE ABOUT 4-6 POTATOS (I USE RUSSET) I WASH THEM, BUT LEAVE THE SKIN ON.

, CUT THEM IN HALF, LAY THE FLAT SURFACE DOWN AND SLICE THEM ABOUT 1/4"  I TAKE THE WHOLE HALF, AND TURN IT ON IT'S SIDE AND AGAIN MAKE SLICES 1/4" 

I PLACE THE THIN SLICES IN THE WATER for about 30 mins ( it helps the potatoes relase some of the starch, so they fry up crispier)[I've heard of people letting them soak for up to 2 days in the fridge]

After they soak, I pat them dry

and start to heat up my oil ( I put mine on med high) with enough oil to fill about half the pan( if it starts smoking, it's too hot, if it doesn't start to fry to potoates right away it's not hot enough)

I place them in the oil handfuls at a time,( I have little hands so I can fit 3 handfulls in my pan at a time) You just fry em til they start to float up (eh, i'd say 3-5 mins) U might want to stir em to make sure they don't clump together

I take them out and place them on a plate. I do every batch like this until i've fried them all up, and THEN

I fry them all over again ( To me, this step makes for a crispier fry, than if you just let them fry all the way through at one time)

Once they're finally done, they go onto another plate with paper towels to soak up the grease and while they're still hot I season them ( I just use sea salt on mine, but I've seen people do a vareity of things to fries, even to go as far as old bay seasoning lol)

They come out sooo nice and crispy, my BF loves them. ( He wanted me to make them tonight, but I'm tired..the prep alone would wear me out lol sooo I'll make them some time tomorrow)

KW1280
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2-1/3 cups flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • ---
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • juice and zest from 4 key limes
  • 1/2 teaspoon green food coloring, optional*
  • ---
  • 1 cup buttermilk**
  • ---
  • cream cheese frosting***
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 8 x 1-1/2-inch or two 9 x 1-1/2-inch round cake pans.

In a medium bowl, with a wire whisk combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar with stand or electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Mixing well after each addition. Mix in key lime juice. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix on low after each addition until just combined. Hand stir in key lime zest. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Allow cakes to completely cool on wire racks.

Frost with cream cheese frosting. Use toasted pecans to decorate sides of cake.
I am going to try this recipe tomorrow
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jul. 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I actually can't remember.  That was my first time making apple fries.  I think i coated them in flour and eggs, but i'm totally guessing.  They probably can just be deep fried with no coating though. 

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

How did you fry the apples did you dip them in something first?

Quoting Alyson121:

LOL. . . I forgot all about that.

The basic ingredients are turkey (of course ;-) ) and pure maple syrup (i keep a HUGE mason jar of pure maple syrup in the frig. But you can buy a smaller bottle for about $10 at Whole Foods, probably Trader Joes or any other natural food store).  I seasoned with celtic sea salt and black pepper (didn't want to over powder the maple flavor).  

I used about 2 lbs of ground turkey i bought from the butcher

about 1/4 - 1/2 cup pure maple syrup

salt and pepper (but not too much)

I also added about 1/3 cups thick rolled oats to help keep the burgers together.  

Let it marinate overnight in a plastic bag or at least 1 hour before cooking.

Roll out the patties and bake in over on about 350 degrees.

I can't remember what cheese i put on them.

Serve on whole wheat burger buns or rye bread or any other kind of hearty bread.  

I also made some "apple fries" but that recipe needs some WORK.  LOL

Quoting sweetiepie81:

I'ma need u to post dat turkey burger recipe p&ty!

Quoting Alyson121:

HOTWORKINGMOM
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Marinated Chicken Breasts

Ingredients

1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar, like cider, balsamic, or red wine

2 to 3 teaspoons dried herbs, like thyme, oregano, rosemary, or crumbled bay leaf

1 to 2 tablespoons mustard, whole grain or Dijon

1 to 2 teaspoon garlic or onion powder, optional

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste... Ladies take it easy on the Salt

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, each about 6 ounces

Directions: Put the vinegar, herbs, mustard, powders if using and oil in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Close the bag and shake to combine all the ingredients. Open the bag, drop in the chicken breast in the bag. Close and shake the bag to coat evenly

Heat a grill or grill pan. When the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. You can also bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.

Happy Cooking!!!!

islandglo
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM

do you put Hamburger in it? can i get ut recipie?

Quoting proudmomof2653:

This is how i make my spaghetti.

First, i get a pan and put a splashh of oil in it just to cover the bottom,(olive oil is best because of the flavor) than i get 2 red peppers, 2 green peppers and 2 big onions and saute' them until peppers are nice and soft and onions are translucent,

Now while they are cooking in the pan, my water should be boiling at this point so i boil the noodles than when the peppers and the onions are done, i pour in my spaghetti sauce in with them and let it simmer while the noodles are boiling, when spaghetti is al dente' i put the noodles in altogether with the peppers and onion and sauce and voila dinner is done.

grownsexy
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Oven fried chicken

1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces

• 1 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a medium bowl or gallon size resealable plastic bag, mix together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme and paprika.
    3. Coat the chicken pieces with mayonnaise. Place chicken pieces in bowl/bag with bread crumb mixture and coat/shake until well coated. Place chicken pieces in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
    HookedDreamer
    by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I make mine with premade phyllo dough... Some people make their own dough... I can post a recipe for your own dough, but when I make these I want something QUICK and easy LOL

1 green onion (finely chopped)

1 large egg (beaten)

1 tub of cream cheese (whipped cream cheese always works best in these situations)

1 cup of feta cheese

1/2 cup butter

15 (or so) sheets of phyllo dough (thawed and divided)

12oz finely chopped spinach (you can use frozen if you want)

1/2 cup fresh dill

Capers (to taste - I love them so I use more you dont HAVE to use them)

Ground pepper

kosher salt

lemon zest (again optional)

1/2 pound bacon (optional - heavy cooked, drained, crumbled)

8-10 oz of thinly sliced smoked salmon

Pre-heat oven to 350

Mix up the dill, capers, bacon, spinach, feta, onion and salt/pepper to taste (add salt to everything to taste - I dont always type that because its second nature to me).  Mix it all up.

Take a bit of the cheese mixture and spread a bit on the top and the bottom on the salmon.  Then place it on top of the phyllo dough and roll it.  Brush with egg.

Put it in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the dough on the top is browned and flaky 

You can serve this as a meal and not just an appetizer with sliced veggies (cucumbers, radishes, grilled zucchini and eggplant), avocado lightly seasoned with salt/pepper. Chardonnay pairs well with this dish because of the citrus and buttery notes in it. If you did add bacon Cabernet Sauvignous works better because its more earthy and can compete with the heaviness of the bacon.

Not only am I modified, a proud member of a hook suspension crew, slightly crazy, a writer and lots of fun.  I'm also pansexual, an active member in the BDSM community, soon to be married, totally monogamous and the proud mum to two kick ass little boys. 

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN