Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies
Went to bakery yesterday, there was a white lady and her young daughter, about 3 yr old in front of me in line. The mother got a petit(a small cake) for her daughter. The lady at the register charged her 80 cents. Ok, the mother seemed surprised? She was charged so little, but she happily paid for it.
So when I got to register, I asked for same thing, I asked cashier how much it cost? She said 1.49, I'm like didn't you just charged that lady 80 cent for the same item? She said yes, that was my friend, which I disagreed they wasn't acting like they knew each other. Then she says, well she had her little daughter with her, that's why she paid less. Ok, so I asked her if I brought my little daughter in? Would I get a discount? She was speechless! I wasn't trying to be petty, the cashier was also white, not trying to pull race card, but it just made me wondered? Was it because I'm black? Or was it innocent, she had a little girl with her, that's why she got a discount.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anayiah3
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
So sad but my smile is always pay back wont be spending my $$ there again

Quoting hopealways4019:

A Arabian man, who owned a mom and pop store, would do the same, refuse to put money in my hand.

Quoting Anayiah3:

Lol was it a bakery dwn town Raleigh? ? I just had a moment with a lady not even 5 mins ago. White lady refused to put my change in my hand instead she sat it down and walked away.I was like ugh my hands are full do you mind putting my change in my hands? ? She took a minute so an older lady basically ran over to give it to me. Speechless ppl are jackasses

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom664
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Sad but true, racist jerks exist everywhere...but what's even sadder is willingly giving your money to a person you know OR think is racist

Quoting SunFlower700:

IDK, I guess it would all depend on the area you live in and what the peple are like in that area.  I've gotten free small baked goods for kids when I was out with them (cashier being white).  No one will know but the cashier and calling the manager like someone else mentioned is not going to do any good.  The manager and the cashier are not going to admit to being racist if they are.  If the cashier did it all the time and you brought your daughter in and was charged regular price, then I would have to say they are racist.

If you suspect the cashier is racist, then I wouldn't have paid for the cupcake.  I would have said no thanks and walked out the door.  I don't give my hard earned money (even if it's 70 cents) to a business where the store owner, or employees are racist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mz.Will
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe it was because of race, regardless if what she did was true.  If it was true the both parties should have been aware, quoted the 1.49 and the friend give her .80.  However I am beginning to see alot of things done in our face, and wonder when will we realize that the disrespect and unfairness has to stop.

supermom664
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this
IMO it never will in this life time NOR the next

Quoting Mz.Will:

I believe it was because of race, regardless if what she did was true.  If it was true the both parties should have been aware, quoted the 1.49 and the friend give her .80.  However I am beginning to see alot of things done in our face, and wonder when will we realize that the disrespect and unfairness has to stop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psalms91
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg...I totally see your concern. Where some say they wouldn't even allow this to affect them,or they would never return to the store only allows them to continue getting away with this - which is not right. I will say I do believe it was because you are black that she handled you in this way. I would be hot...I mean,she's gonna openly allow that white lady to pay 80 cents and charge you more??? Then at same time lie about knowing her and then using the child as an excuse??? Hmmm...I would have kept right on quizzing her until she felt like a pure idiot.That was wrong and she knows it was wrong. Glad you called her out on it. I am the same way...I don't overlook things like that by no means. Smh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom664
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM
But seriously do you believe calling her out will change her mindset?????
I mean it may make you feel better like your changing the world or something but at the end of the day you have accomplished very very little, actually Nothing

Quoting psalms91:

Omg...I totally see your concern. Where some say they wouldn't even allow this to affect them,or they would never return to the store only allows them to continue getting away with this - which is not right. I will say I do believe it was because you are black that she handled you in this way. I would be hot...I mean,she's gonna openly allow that white lady to pay 80 cents and charge you more??? Then at same time lie about knowing her and then using the child as an excuse??? Hmmm...I would have kept right on quizzing her until she felt like a pure idiot.That was wrong and she knows it was wrong. Glad you called her out on it. I am the same way...I don't overlook things like that by no means. Smh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillady398
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Last time I chdecked the cashier can not just give out discounts to her choice of customers. I would have asked to see her manager.

psalms91
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you to an extent, but I just don't like to allow people to take advantage of me or run over me etc without me speaking up....so you are right, it may do nothing/change nothing,but at the end of the day I know I spoke up and didn't hold my concern in.

Quoting supermom664:

But seriously do you believe calling her out will change her mindset?????
I mean it may make you feel better like your changing the world or something but at the end of the day you have accomplished very very little, actually Nothing

Quoting psalms91:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Had to be your dd cause judging from your jazzy ass mouth on this site, you wouldn't get anything for free.

Quoting supermom664:

I've gotta free stuff becauae my ds is so sweet & has such a outgoing personality...I now have to wonder was it because we are AA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom664
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I said ds and I don't expect anything for free but do you really want to hear jazzy? Why don't you & your dd go try to get some free stuff being that your ex is a deadbeat Dad and all

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Had to be your dd cause judging from your jazzy ass mouth on this site, you wouldn't get anything for free.

Quoting supermom664:

I've gotta free stuff becauae my ds is so sweet & has such a outgoing personality...I now have to wonder was it because we are AA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)