Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Father wants to terminate his rights..

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 40 Replies

Today i recieved a phone call from my daughter's father stating that he will be filing papers to terminate his rights as the father because he doesnt want to be part of her life.I see that as being real selfish.There's already a court order in place in texas right now where he has to start paying child support May 1st (which he is refusing to do).With him being in the military, they will garnish the payments but in case it doesnt go through finance in time, he has to pay out of pocket until it starts garnishing from his check.In texas, can he voluntarily terminate his rights eventhough i dont agree with it?Will he still have to pay child support?

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tears30314
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM
I live in tx and you will be notified of this first. He wont pay child support if his right get granted termination
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Onlyoneme1987
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

will i have to approve of this first or will the judge have to?

krisdev67
by Pamela on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I would consult a lawyer.  I thought that you had to agree to him terminating his parental rights.  I wouldn't allow him to do that shit just because he doesn't want to have to pay CS.  Once she turns 18 he'll want to be in her life then.  What a dumb fuck!

mstricey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I don't think he can do that without you agreeing. I could be wrong though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybunches26
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Relinquishing Parental Rights

• Child support is still owed even if a parent relinquishes parental rights. Regardless of whether a parent has no visitation rights, child support is still owed. In Texas, a natural parent, whether custodial or noncustodial has an obligation to pay child support until a child reaches 18 years old. Even if one parent refuses to allow visitation, the parent who is not allowed visitation still has a duty to support a child. This is the case in Texas, unless a child becomes emancipated or a former spouse remarries and the step-parent legally adopts the child.

Read more: If I Relinquish My Parental Rights Do I Have to Pay Child Support in Texas? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8134417_relinquish-pay-child-support-texas.html#ixzz1sRIqFA7i

okay so not lawers but i did find this info online.. HOW FUCKING SCUMMY!! he wants to give up rights right when the cs is suppose to come out.. i would seek some help from a cheap family lawyer.. or ask family for help with a family lawyer and see what rights you have in making sure its known the corralation between the cs start date and this new idea of his! 

tears30314
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM
I tthought about it amd asked who is a texan through and through he says u still gotta pay cs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisdev67
by Pamela on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Good glad that he still has to pay CS... the dummy!  However I would still consult with a lawyer.  Also, if he's in the military if that child wants to go to college she could do so on his GI Bill so I would definately look into getting a lawyer and ensure that my child is protected.  He's going to be pissed but fuck his ass...

Quoting Honeybunches26:

Relinquishing Parental Rights

• Child support is still owed even if a parent relinquishes parental rights. Regardless of whether a parent has no visitation rights, child support is still owed. In Texas, a natural parent, whether custodial or noncustodial has an obligation to pay child support until a child reaches 18 years old. Even if one parent refuses to allow visitation, the parent who is not allowed visitation still has a duty to support a child. This is the case in Texas, unless a child becomes emancipated or a former spouse remarries and the step-parent legally adopts the child.

Read more: If I Relinquish My Parental Rights Do I Have to Pay Child Support in Texas? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8134417_relinquish-pay-child-support-texas.html#ixzz1sRIqFA7i

okay so not lawers but i did find this info online.. HOW FUCKING SCUMMY!! he wants to give up rights right when the cs is suppose to come out.. i would seek some help from a cheap family lawyer.. or ask family for help with a family lawyer and see what rights you have in making sure its known the corralation between the cs start date and this new idea of his! 

wademom07
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He is sick! Get you a lawyer that way your baby can get all that she deserves. Just a question, did he say why he wanted to terminate his rights he just doesnt want to be a dad?

graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

as far as i kknow, it only takes away his rights....still obligated to pay...

i wish i would have followed thru the process of my SD signing away his rights..i asked and he agreed to it but we left the state so i just let it go...i wanted him to do it to protect her...

my nieces daughter is 2 and still going thru crap with her TX SD that is in the military and his CO etc...(i suspect he's married and don't want anybody to know Tootie exists...) you wouldn't happen to be in Killeen would you? lol

tx childsupport is a joke...my daughter is 13...she got maybe a whole 100.00 and that was back in 2004...i figured she wouldnt see a dime and only filed for CS to again, protect her in the event that he decides to  get froggy and wanna take her or something...he's still in tx, has 9 other kids with at least 6 CS cases, not paying a penny and still walkn free, obviously making more babies and planning to marry BM #6...good luck with the tx CS...

AdellesMom
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Contact a Lawyer.

How selfish of him. He's a douche-canoe. He doesn't desere to be in you DDs life. He's doing this because he doesn't want to pay CS? He should've thought about that before your DD was conceived!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)