Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Putting cereal in your baby's bottle

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 42 Replies
How old are they when you can start that. My baby is 2 months now and my friend said it's time but don't think so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaofficer
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I did it when they were a month,you just add a little bit. But becareful it can stop them up. Which then I put a little bit of Karo Syrup in the bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoyalT26
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this

There is NEVER a "time" for that! this enrages me! the infant cereal is meant for SPOON feeding....you will be putting your child at risk for allergies, choking, colic...to name a few what about having the patience to FEED your baby cereal correctly with a spoon and bowl. PLease Moms reading this do some research

0Kit0
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I didn't. My doctors explained to me that I shouldn't because the cereal could get in their lungs and cause pneumonia. Also something about if your baby is at the point where they need the cereal, just feed it to them. My friends told me that their doctors said it is ok to put cereal in the bottle. I'm not sure about which age to give it to them. Perhaps the same time one would begin to feed the child cereal?

0Kit0
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually thought I was the only person who got that information. I figured my doctor was certainly in the minority on this.

Quoting RoyalT26:

There is NEVER a "time" for that! this enrages me! the infant cereal is meant for SPOON feeding....you will be putting your child at risk for allergies, choking, colic...to name a few what about having the patience to FEED your baby cereal correctly with a spoon and bowl. PLease Moms reading this do some research

RoyalT26
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 0Kit0:

I actually thought I was the only person who got that information. I figured my doctor was certainly in the minority on this.

Quoting RoyalT26:

Personally I feel this is a common sense thing....

A Bottles are  only DESIGNED to distribute  Breast Milk or Formula

B Little tummies cannot even digest cereal yet  { Read the food packages}

misssy2000
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I never did that. I extended breastfed so my Little's didn't see solids til closer to 8 months, and later Ds#2 nursed only til18 months and don't use that caros syrup. I have never done any of that stuff for any of my kids. Docors(not that I listen to them either) have been advising aginst this for a while.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

3-4 months? I know I definitely did at 4 months.  Not 2 months that is too early.

sweetiepie81
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM
I Istarted at 3 months. I believe the rule is 4 months but some prefer that you wait til 6 months.
CafeMom Tickers
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

what does your doctor say?

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM
I did it at 2 months with doctors order because my son had acid reflux and couldn't keep any milk down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)