Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Too much time with my daughter??

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

...yep, that's what a few people have been telling me lately b/c when you see me, you see her...and when you see her, you see me...when she goes skating, i'm there bored as hell.  to see a movie, we might see the same thing or we'll see a diff one showing at the same time. she had a play her bestie wanted her to come see her perform in, im a few rows behind her...

see...my thing is, i'm not the type of parent that will drop my kid off somewhere and leave. never have been...for the most part, we just do things together but she doesn't get to go skating often partly b/c i don't feel like sitn up there watching a bunch of bad a$$ kids (teens now) and she doesn't get to go to one of her friends house much b/c half the time the little girls (12yo) dad isn't home and the oldest person there is 14. the dad (that's hardly home) and a friend (that drops her 7yo off skating every friday so she can get away from her 3hrs) says i need to start trusting Janae. i tell them it has absolutely nothing to do with trusting her, she's a pretty sensible kid with a good head on her shoulders. i go to the movies, skating, etc... with her and don't allow some things (the cell phone thing is another issue...both these nuts act like i'm the worse parent b/c i wont buy/let janae have a cell phone) b/c i prefer an adult to be around...period. the friend that drops her daughter off also has a 14yo niece she has custody of that comes home with hickies on her neck from her girlfriend when they get caught up 'in the heat of the moment'. who's smoking crack? me or them?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misssy2000
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM

No help here, I am very sure I might be a helicopter parent and I Don't even care.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I'm no help. I was my mom's shadow until I moved out the state.

graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

lol...no, that helps b/c although i don't feel i'm smothering her or being over protective (which had no negative affect on me when my mom would only let us ride our bikes in front of the house) ppl still have a way of kinda making me feel like i'm wrong for what i do (or don't such as the dropping off thing) or that i'm a bad parent for not letting her run free...*haha 'helicopter parent'*

Quoting misssy2000:

No help here, I am very sure I might be a helicopter parent and I Don't even care.

JayRo00
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with what your doing. It's too many parents now days that just drop their kids off anywhere and don't give them enough supervision. People think once a child gets older, then they don't need supervision. Shit that's when they need it the most!

ticklesurpickle
by My on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I am always told to cut the cord with my 11 year old, but I feel like if she wants me there, that's where I am going to be. She asked me to go to the bathroom with her at the movies and my friend thought it was ridiculous! Whatever, she's 11 not 16!
graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM

see, that's what i always thought...that she needs me more now than ever...this (the last couple years) is when i started feeling like the REAL parenting was about to get started, ya know? oooo! and don't get me started on how many times we had a bday party and the parents (in the last few years) dropped the kids off or let me take their kid with us and didn't try to meet me first...wtf? i wanna know what kind of description i'm gonna give the police if you don't bring my child back in one (alive and well) piece!

well, janae went skating tonight with the special one that usually drops her 7yo off b/c she said she'll go in and stay so janae can...course you know i threatened janae before she left...told her if i find out angel left i'll beat the snot out of both of them and if angel leaves then she BETTER get to a phone and call me....and evidently Sly doesn't think wild bears shyt in the woods cuz he knows i don't want nae over there if he's not gonna be home and i've gone to get her twice and he was gone (on a quick errand, so he says)...needless to say, she doesn't go over there often anymore...

Quoting JayRo00:

There is nothing wrong with what your doing. It's too many parents now days that just drop their kids off anywhere and don't give them enough supervision. People think once a child gets older, then they don't need supervision. Shit that's when they need it the most!

graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

yeah...ive asked janae about it and she wants me there too...and if in the last few months i asked if she wanted to stay home while i ran to the convenience store down the street for a soda or come with, she's hopn in the car with me lol

ughhh...you just reminded me that i had an associate once that left her 11yo and 5yo kids home alone all the time while she went to WORK...i don't think i could function at work while my kids were at home by themselves...

Quoting ticklesurpickle:

I am always told to cut the cord with my 11 year old, but I feel like if she wants me there, that's where I am going to be. She asked me to go to the bathroom with her at the movies and my friend thought it was ridiculous! Whatever, she's 11 not 16!

tears30314
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Things are lot different these days. I have a three year old daughter now. While she has a mind of her own, she always wants to be with mommy whereas my eight yr old son is like mom leave me be! I hope how my daughter feels never ends though it can be stressful. My five yr old is team daddy so the baby for now is all about mommy and I understand what you mean about the parents and nott meeting my ss looked at me crazy when I wanted to meet his gf parents and if I had he would not have a baby he doesnt take care of o_0

Quoting graciefreesoul:

yeah...ive asked janae about it and she wants me there too...and if in the last few months i asked if she wanted to stay home while i ran to the convenience store down the street for a soda or come with, she's hopn in the car with me lol

ughhh...you just reminded me that i had an associate once that left her 11yo and 5yo kids home alone all the time while she went to WORK...i don't think i could function at work while my kids were at home by themselves...

Quoting ticklesurpickle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM

My mom was like that. I hope i'm not..... (no offense to you of course).

At least you let your girl do things, my mom would not and when she did...there she was.

It was so embarrasing. I stop accepting invites, the invites to places didn't come often anymore anyway.

graciefreesoul
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

well i have to say so far everyone i've chatted up with here are the coolest group of brown-skinned mamas (and ray) i've run across b/c here, only the white mamas come out to meet me when i have their babies or they have mine but the other day we had a meeting at the high school about a pilot summer food program here and my daughters best friends mom (dropped her off at janae's bday shindig in feb) didn't even look at me, let alone introduce herself...didn't know that's who was with the little girl til janae told me afterwards...

Quoting tears30314:

Things are lot different these days. I have a three year old daughter now. While she has a mind of her own, she always wants to be with mommy whereas my eight yr old son is like mom leave me be! I hope how my daughter feels never ends though it can be stressful. My five yr old is team daddy so the baby for now is all about mommy and I understand what you mean about the parents and nott meeting my ss looked at me crazy when I wanted to meet his gf parents and if I had he would not have a baby he doesnt take care of o_0

Quoting graciefreesoul:

Quoting ticklesurpickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)