Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

What do you think can turn the youth around?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM
  • 34 Replies

I have a love/hate relationship with the AA youth today. I know I can't be upset with them because it takes a village to raise a child---but what do you think would turn the youth into doing something more positive and stop the black on black crime? What do you think it will take to get that majority turned on and into education or tap into their gifts?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobinSun
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Their parents...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dana267
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a start but they sometimes project the same violence and lack of effort onto their children. Like Bill Cosby's "come On People" book. Many people hated that book---but it was spot on for a lot of families.

Quoting RobinSun:

Their parents...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

MyJaidon
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM
5 moms liked this
I'm part of the Black youth in which you speak of. Black on black violence was going on before our generation. If our elders would spend more time sharing their wisdom, empowering us and less time complaining about how messed up we (general we) are then maybe the message will stick. It's only my opinion though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinSun
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Can you give an age group?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinSun
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

You're right but, if the parents change and start setting an example for their kids like getting involved in their education and setting goals for their kids then I think there would be a big turn around.

I know there are many programs and organizations out there for the youth but if the parents show little to no interest and keep up that violence and lack of effort at home then there really is little hope for the youth. Don't get me wrong there are many that, regardless of their home life, find that strength in themselves to overcome. But as a whole it all starts at home. Parents need to grow up.

Quoting Dana267:

That's a start but they sometimes project the same violence and lack of effort onto their children. Like Bill Cosby's "come On People" book. Many people hated that book---but it was spot on for a lot of families.

Quoting RobinSun:

Their parents...

~Whats understood doesn't need to be explained~
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I tell ppl this all of the time! The issues that are plaguing the youth are issues that have plagued us for years. The youth did not create these issues unfortunately they inherited them and like with any other disease or sickness that goes uncared for they have gotten progressively worse.
From the time I was in high school I was mentoring to others, I actually have several young ladies who I started big brother/big sister with 16 years ago that I'm still very close to. For a lot of young ppl they just want to know there is someone they can talk to who understands them.

Quoting MyJaidon:

I'm part of the Black youth in which you speak of. Black on black violence was going on before our generation. If our elders would spend more time sharing their wisdom, empowering us and less time complaining about how messed up we (general we) are then maybe the message will stick. It's only my opinion though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by Mel on May. 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
This is gonna be a long one, but i have a lot of thoughts on this subject.

I think it starts in the home. What are we as parents teaching our kids? Are we teaching financial stability, education, pride in ourselves and culture, non violence? Or are we teaching tax return=shopping spree, the only way to make money is bball, black history is only in February, beat his ass so i can video on YouTube.
What happened to actual parenting and the 5 f's? Where you going, who you going with, why are you going, what are yall going to be doing, when is this supposed to be happening? How is it that at any given point you dont know where your child is? And what happened to the village? We need to bring the village back asap! When i was growing up i couldn't do nothing because before i got home my grandmother knew everything. And god forbid i did or said something. I got smacked 2, from who ever saw me doing it and my grandmother! Nowadays, everybody all "dont chastise my kids, dont say shit to my kids". And dont get me started on wisdom, elders and grandmothers. How can grandma pass down her wisdom to her 12-13 yr old grandbaby when grandma 42 and trying to get her date on? Everybody going thru the same shit at the same time- grandma, mom, and daughter. I dont see this as a problem with aa kids, but all kids! And eff dhs, dyfs, ss. If my son need his ass beat, ima beat it. They got parents scared to parent nowadays. Dont ground your kids, dont spank. How about dont tell me how to raise mine!

Ill be back, baby just woke up. Oh and when i say we/you/etc. Im not talking about this group, black folks as a whole. You get my meaning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM

This I agree with ... bring the village back .... bring awareness back, better education at affordable prices .... increase teachers salaries instead of cutbacks. Teachers don't even care and THAT is sad. We trust these people to halfway teach out kids the fundamentals and they are seriously lacking. I'm all for the village myself. If my son is out of line, by all means beat him and he will get another one when I get a hold on him. There were padals in elementary school when I was growing up .. not anymore. Church and prayer, it worked wonders for us. My parents kept us in church, activities, you name it. My family is a mini village right now. We all watch out for each other and will beat each other kids with no hesitation. We all encourage each other and kids. Everyone shows up to events, everyone rewards. Its too many kids with no foundation and nowhere else to turn other than the streets.

Quoting JakesMom712:

This is gonna be a long one, but i have a lot of thoughts on this subject.

I think it starts in the home. What are we as parents teaching our kids? Are we teaching financial stability, education, pride in ourselves and culture, non violence? Or are we teaching tax return=shopping spree, the only way to make money is bball, black history is only in February, beat his ass so i can video on YouTube.
What happened to actual parenting and the 5 f's? Where you going, who you going with, why are you going, what are yall going to be doing, when is this supposed to be happening? How is it that at any given point you dont know where your child is? And what happened to the village? We need to bring the village back asap! When i was growing up i couldn't do nothing because before i got home my grandmother knew everything. And god forbid i did or said something. I got smacked 2, from who ever saw me doing it and my grandmother! Nowadays, everybody all "dont chastise my kids, dont say shit to my kids". And dont get me started on wisdom, elders and grandmothers. How can grandma pass down her wisdom to her 12-13 yr old grandbaby when grandma 42 and trying to get her date on? Everybody going thru the same shit at the same time- grandma, mom, and daughter. I dont see this as a problem with aa kids, but all kids! And eff dhs, dyfs, ss. If my son need his ass beat, ima beat it. They got parents scared to parent nowadays. Dont ground your kids, dont spank. How about dont tell me how to raise mine!

Ill be back, baby just woke up. Oh and when i say we/you/etc. Im not talking about this group, black folks as a whole. You get my meaning.

Dana267
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Quoting MyJaidon:

Really? I am speaking about shooting perpetraitors of shooting deaths and those that have no faith in or respect for the people in their communities- youth who have given up on education and dreams. Is that who you are- cause that's what I'm talking about.

And violence, lack of two parent homes and strong extended families were not always as it is now- we had strong communities.

But I don't want to debate that with you but I need to know if you are who I'm speaking of.

2timezthefun
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I think it will start at home with the parents. Also I think kids need to be more involved with afterschool activites and sports. I also personally believe Tv and the music people listen to have a huge influence. I remember asking my younger brother's friend since when was it ok to call girls bitches hoes etc and act like its nothing. He told me since the rappers made it ok and the girls his age call eachother bad bitches. Im not joking thats exactly what he said. When I was growing up we were only allowed to watch certain tv shows. We got an hr of tv then we had to go outside or do and arts and craft. My parents had us volunteering going to soup kitchens sports etc. Less time with the electronics and listen to negative music can help. More curfews will help because a lot of kids well at least arond here do not have curfews. Little 14 15 yr old kids walking around or driving around with other friends at 12 pm or 1 am thats crazy. Meeting your children's friends will help too because I know a lot of kids who parents dont do that either. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)