Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

I heard that

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

My oldest DD's school is right next door, so I often walk her to school in the mornings, and walk to get her in the afternoon, taking my youngest two with me if my S/O isn't home.

So today, we're all walking back, and I notice there are some wild raspberries growing on a trail that we sometimes take. I point them out to the kids, pick a few and tell them that we'll take them home, wash them off, and eat them. I used to eat these SAME berries as a kid, so I knew they were ok to eat.

Just as I'm telling them this, a lady and her son walks by, and the little boy asks his mom if he can have some berries too. She says "No, people shouldn't eat stuff they find in the woods, that's nasty and its probably poisonous."

I don't think she realized what she said or what she implied, but before I could stop myself, I said "You dumb bish, I can hear you. If they were poisonous, I wouldn't be giving them to my kids." This lady had to be at least 5 years older than me, so I'm sure she wasn't used to someone talking to her like that. The look on her face was priceless, I wanted to laugh so bad.

I'm sorry her son had to hear it, but she deserved it. My kids weren't even paying attention to me, so I doubt they heard it. They just wanted to hurry up and get home.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bxbsmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Lol! Like seriously...how did she think people survived before McDonalds?
luvthagirl
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Perhaps she really thought they were poisonous and being that you didn't think she meant what she implied why did it upset you to the point of cursing her out espescially in front of her kid?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanishagreene
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM
3 moms liked this

You must feel really good about that since you felt the need to share that with thousands of women on this site or were you just at a lack for post? This type of stuff takes me back to Dana post about our youth being out of hand. Its for reasons just like this imitating parents ignorance. That women was more than entitled to tell her child whatever she wante to tell him. In my opion that was just childish and ignorant. Then we wonder why kids dont have self control. Because their parents dont know how to control their own selves. Smh.

bxbsmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this
I got my chair and popcorn ready...
bxbsmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM
So it was ok for the lady to say that eating from outside is nasty?
Dana267
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

LOL----I used to eat those too---I wouldn't let my kids eat them now though---too funny.

tanishagreene
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Idk if u were asking me that, but if so I dont think nobody has the right to tell that woman whats ok or not ok, for her to tell her child. thats her child! For me it would be different if she came up to me and said thats nasty you shouldnt be eating stuff from outside or whatever. But even then Im to much of a lady to call her out her name or curse her out because of it ,especially with kids around. I wouldve simply told her thats her opinion and kept it moving. In this situation the woman said nothing to her, she was teaching her child what she felt he needed to know in that situation. And from the sound of it apparently if their walikng the kids to and from school the kids are young. She dont know what reason that woman had for telling her child that, he could have a problem with eating stuff from outside or a allergy to the berries. If I knew how to tell the difference from edible plants to the non edible I would pick them and ate them too. But I dont so if that was me I probably wouldve told my daughter the same thing simply because Im not sure if it is edible and i wouldnt want her outside picking stuff that she should not eat. At the end of the day I found that to be an ignorant outburst around kids. Stuff like that irks me. And the fact that she obviously felt the need to tell her there not poisonous just makes me wonder if she feels inferrior to the other woman that she had to break bad on her and explain her actions. Smh

misswitch93
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM

It's almost sounds like shes braggin

Quoting tanishagreene:

You must feel really good about that since you felt the need to share that with thousands of women on this site or were you just at a lack for post? This type of stuff takes me back to Dana post about our youth being out of hand. Its for reasons just like this imitating parents ignorance. That women was more than entitled to tell her child whatever she wante to tell him. In my opion that was just childish and ignorant. Then we wonder why kids dont have self control. Because their parents dont know how to control their own selves. Smh.

bxbsmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Quoting tanishagreene:

Idk if u were asking me that but if so I dont think nobody has the right to tell her whats ok or not ok for her to tell her child thats her child. For me it would be different if she came up to me and said thats nasty you shouldnt be eating stuff from outside or whatever. But even then Im to much of a lady to call her out her name or curse her out because of it especially with kids around. I wouldve simply told her thats her opinion and kept it moving. but in this situation the one said nothing to her she was teaching her child what she felt he needed to know in that situation. And from the sound of it apparently if their walikng the kids to and from school the kids are young. She dont know what reason that woman had for telling her child that he could have a problem with eating stuff from outside or a allergy to the berries. If I knew how to tell the difference from edible plants to the non edible I would pick them and eat them to. But I dont so i that was me I probably wouldve told my daughter the same thing simply because Im not sure if it is edible and i wouldnt want her outside picking stuff that she should not eat. At the end of the day I found that to be an ignorant outburst around kids. Stuff like that irks me. But we feel some type of way as blacks when the other race talks down on us. Smh

With the way I'm visualizing the situation, saying that eating from the ground out loud is ignorant. While you may think peaches is teaching her child the wrong things, I feel like the other mom is doing that as well by placing judgement by saying what someone is doing is nasty.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
navybeauty88
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Sorry but I agree with tanishagreene. While what she said and how loud she said it may have been rude, it didn't warrant you cursing at her. Especially in front of her kids and yours. She wasn't saying it to your kids, plus you said yourself that the kids were not even paying attention. So why did it bother you so much?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)