Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Another racist Ad

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 4 Replies

Seems like Ashton Kutcher's new Popchips ad didn't just pop-it blew up into a controversy.

The actor's head-turning spot, which debuted online yesterday and shows a brownfaced Kutcher sending up a Bollywood producer, has been yanked following a public uproar over its alleged racist overtones.

MORE: Ashton Kutcher Looking for Love Online in New Dating Video?!

In his cheeky campaign for the snack, Kutcher can be seen playing a roulette of colorful characters looking for love on a fictitious dating service.

Viewers, however, have taken offense with one of the actor's personas: a brownfaced, Indian-accented Bollywood producer named Raj.

Tech pundit Anil Dash slammed the ad, writing on his blog: "I think the people behind this Popchips ad are not racist. I think they just made a racist ad, because they're so steeped in our culture's racism that they didn't even realize they were doing it."

New York hip-hop group Das Racist took to Twitter to vent their anger, lashing out at Kutcher by writing, "Hey @aplusk, what's with the racist brownface video you talentless, pretending to care about sex trafficking piece of s--t?"

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/ashton_kutchers_bollywood-skewering_ad/313446#ixzz1toyGug4x

Who is sitting at the table discussing whether ads like this should be aired? I doubt that there was anyone of indian descent in attendance. And why blame Ashton, he's just the celebrity being used to help sell the product. What do you all think? 

by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I'm not even phased by things like that anymore, honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sexychica25
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Quoting Litlmama87:

I'm not even phased by things like that anymore, honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM
We know who creates ad such as these, so there's no need for us to wonder why. The idealic all American figure has certain ignorant, often prejudiced and racist perceptions of the other races that inhabit this country and love to show us how we should speak, and behave as a result.
I think Ashton is getting slammed bc just bc he didn't write or create the ad he still made the conscious choice to represent it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginene
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Why is it racist? If that's racist then Living Color definitely was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)