Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies
in another group the subject of children talking to adults they DO NOT KNOW came up. I was shocked to see how many MOTHER'S saying it wasn't a big deal for their kids to talk to people they don't know.

SO WHAT ARE YOUR RULES ON THIS SUBJECT? ??

I will reply with my thoughts later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Replies (11-19):
rayroe2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

my thoughts are, no one is talking to my kids if I am not around or if I am distracted doing something. I don't trust strangers

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

yep, my son wouldn't even speak to the registrar at the pre school yesterday until i said it was okay.

Quoting Dabrutiful1:

Sit like a deaf mute and stare...unless they are merely sayin Hello/some other nicety. Absolutely under NO circumstance are they to engage in convos w/ adults they do not know!!!

atlshine
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

They can talk to people I'm talking to. 

doll0302
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM
This actually just happened. I was sitting on the porch while DD and a girlfriend were playing. I saw a woman walk areound the corner and she waited for the girls to catch up. I didn't say anything because I wanted to see how the girls would react. DD stopped dead in her tracks. The woman then started talking to DD friend and asked if the girls wanted to go with her to get her own daughter at the park. They said no thank you, and she told them it was right up the street. They said no again, and came right over to me. I was proud of them, and when it got weird, they left the situation. Come to find out, they go to school with the womans daughter, but my DD didn't know her. I am glad they did the right thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anayiah3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
this is what I'm talked about! ! why is an adult asking kids to go with them? ?? ask their parents ughh makes me mad

Quoting doll0302:

This actually just happened. I was sitting on the porch while DD and a girlfriend were playing. I saw a woman walk areound the corner and she waited for the girls to catch up. I didn't say anything because I wanted to see how the girls would react. DD stopped dead in her tracks. The woman then started talking to DD friend and asked if the girls wanted to go with her to get her own daughter at the park. They said no thank you, and she told them it was right up the street. They said no again, and came right over to me. I was proud of them, and when it got weird, they left the situation. Come to find out, they go to school with the womans daughter, but my DD didn't know her. I am glad they did the right thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XJH143
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like my children talking to strangers unless they are saying "hi" back to ther person. My girls (ages 3 &1), have a habit of saying hi to every person that walks by. It annoys the sh*t out of me. I tell my oldest one to stop, because not everyone is a nice person.

doll0302
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Don't know. It was very strange. I am glad I got to see the girls reaction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayRo00
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

The other day when I was at the store, this lady came up to my son and was asking him questions about his broken arm, she was talking to him like I wasn't standing there. He just looked at her stupid and didn't say a word. I looked at her stupid too and said he is okay! I guess she wanted me to go into detail about how it happened. People are crazy!

I can understand a hello or a compliment but not a conversation unless it's okay with me. There have been plenty of times I see a cute baby looking and smiling or waving at me in line and I will say hi or make funny faces to make the baby laugh. And I didn't mind that when my kids were babies! 

Dana267
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM
It depends on the situation. My children are very expressive- my son who is 12 knows the difference between prying questions and general questions. As a rule my children feel confident enough to express themselves with people they don't know if I'm nearby- but pretty much - I'm always nearby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN