Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

URBAN FICTION:DO YOU READ IT?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am a new writer/author and I'd like to know what does the majority of our black culture read. I hope to publish my first book soon which is Urban Fiction. I want to know what are your likes and dislikes about the genre and how it can be improved by the authors out there. What would you like to see come to light that hasn't been done yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Let me think on that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sharon911
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I like urban fiction but I'd like to see something different than the usual drug-dealer and his down-ass chick who prostitutes or boosts clothes on the side until her man gets out of jail type scenarios. All the urban books seem to have the same storyline. I know it's supposed to be "urban" but that's not the only thing happening in the inner-city.

JanaeMarie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Sister, I 100% completely agree w/you. We already get potrayed that way by the media why keep writing us that way. There are a lot of other things going on that I believe everyone can relate to but sometimes those books don't get to the mainstream because its not the typical, or norm. But maybe one day that will change.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Sunshine
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Honestly, I don't care for books. I don't find reading fun or pleasureable. It always feels like a chore and I'm a great reader, I just don't like reading unless it's a Magazine. I'd rather watch a Documentary anyday. Most of the stuff I watch are true stories. Fiction doesn't do anything for me but knowing something actually happened interests me.

Anayiah3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I love them .... Ashley & jaqavis are my favorites I have no complaints about what's written because if I don't like something I simply don't read it..... I like love stories not the mushy type the ones that seem realistic. I own a million books I've read a lot over the years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanaeMarie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Thank you the feedback helps. I'd like to know what the people like and don't like. Helps to know your market.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlshine
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM
I listen to audiobooks while at work. When it comes to black books, I like drama, drama, and more drama! Carl Weber, LaJill Hunt type drama. I can dig ghetto crime stuff like Chunichi sometimes as well. Only thing I don't like is the books where folks are doing x,y, and z then in the end they find God. That always makes it boooooring! I also like Brandon Whatshislastname's black horror/thriller books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanaeMarie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:29 AM
I love drama too! A good well written drama can keep you entertained all the way through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kandie7113
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Yes love it. I just wrote my first book. They messed up my cover again and i have to send it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanaeMarie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Who did you publish with? If you did an ebook how did you convert to Kindle? Cuz I'm trying to perfect the manuscript format.

Quoting Kandie7113:

Yes love it. I just wrote my first book. They messed up my cover again and i have to send it back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN