Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is in ballet classes. I like the school that she's in, but a friend of mine who dances gave me a little insight on how the dance world can be; meaning black dancers can be treated differently and that they are stereotyped (only know ethnic dancing like hip hop or African dance). I've not experienced this at my daughter's school, in fact everyone is very friendly and nice. Based on what I was told I thought about finding another school for my daughter to go, and I found one that is owned and run by a black man, and majority of the teachers and students are black as well. So my question is, if it were your child what would you?

Thanks

by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Replies (11-13):
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on May. 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Keep her there! She's happy&having fun! I was thinking she was trying to get into Julia Arts?! LOL
Not saying she can't but she's 3! I agree bust the stereotypes! I beg the differ mainly white kids do hip-hop dancing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alovepoem4u
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM
Quoting 2timezthefun:

If you like the school she is in now and they aren't stereotyping her I say keep here there. You can go to the other school and check it out see what they are about it, but if there is no problem I would leave my daughter in the dance school she's in. 

I agree.
Alovepoem4u
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Quoting Hottmomma607:

Keep her there! She's happy&having fun! I was thinking she was trying to get into Julia Arts?! LOL
Not saying she can't but she's 3! I agree bust the stereotypes! I beg the differ mainly white kide do hip-hop dancing!

VERY TRUE!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)