Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Relaxed or Natural?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM
  • 90 Replies
Ok so I have been relaxing my hair since I was like 8. 20+ yrs later I'm tired of having to perm my hair every four weeks. My hair NEVER lets me go longer easily. Real nigga shit here lol. I've been thinking of going natural but I don't know. I have no natural hair ppl in my life so I don't know what to expect. Is natural better than perming?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rain2Rinse
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe that it is much healthier for your hair to be allowed to grow in it's natural state. I dont know much about it, though. I am currently doing a lot of reading. I have been permed for many years. I am planning on doing a big chop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginene
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Actually IMO both can be better. I know some who went natural and their hair fell out. Untreated dreads and not enough moisture. Then some fall out with perms. I did great until I switched perms and the thinning started and I switched back but it still kept thinning so I stopped. I take that as me not taking care of it because I switched to a stronger perm. Either way you can just do a trial and error and see which is better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami1012
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I've recently gone natural over the last 4 years or so I guess.  I love it and I hate it.  I love it because my hair curls up with just water and grease.  And I found this wonderful product to use that brings out the curl in your hair.  It works great.  I'll look for the name of it on my next potty break, which I know will be soon!!!  lol  I recommend it.  And if you have short hair, even better.  I say that cuz ppl say I have "white-girl" hair (no racism intended) even without the perm.  So you end up looking like Halle Berry in Dark Tide (her new movie), with this stuff.  

And if you DON'T have that kinda hair, lemme know...I have a friend who's a pro with the natural do thang!  I can just ask her.  

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I like it better.

Just read a lot. Youtube is a life saver. Haircrush, Kimmytube, GrowBlackHairnet (also has her own site). Find what works for your hair, other people's reigmens might give you an idea of what works but remember it might not work for you. Please don't fall for the Andre Walker hair typing system. Look into the LOIS system instead, it will help you learn your hair type which will make learning your hair's unique needs A LOT easier.

akingsmom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I believe that it is much healthier for your hair to be allowed to grow in it's natural state. I dont know much about it, though. I am currently doing a lot of reading. I have been permed for many years. I am planning on doing a big chop.

I've been doing a little reading myself because I'm tired of the cycle. Scary though I read you have to do a big chop. I havent had short hair since I graduated middle school.
graciefreesoul
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

absolutely!!!

ive been natural 10+ years and wouldn't have it any other way...keep in mind back then we didn't have kinky kurlee curling custard or carols daughter  or taliah waajid so i think it's much better now b/c you have better products to care for and style natural hair. im locd now and stumbled upon kinky kurlee right after i started the locn process so my newly natural niece got to test it out for me lol she loved it but now loves taliah waajid better...do keep in mind that i've never been one to put a lot of time, effort, money, or thought into my hair so if there was a special occassion or event i didn't make trips to the salon for some tracks, micros, or even flat iron...before i locd, i simply just wore my hair in an afropuff or bun most of the time til it got to 15 inches and i started whacking it off til i got to 1/8" lol

i really think you'd love it...i've seen many different grades of 'natural' and they're all beautiful to me no matter if it's real soft, big curls or small, tight coils, or slick and wavy...we have some gorgeous hair...most of us just don't know it and judge our grade of hair by the 1/2 of new growth and it feels so gross to us...

Chocolate-LEO
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

NATURAL BABY!!!! Went natural years ago and my hair is 10x thicker, healthier, and longer.....even though i wear weave all the time, lol

akingsmom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Quoting ginene:

Actually IMO both can be better. I know some who went natural and their hair fell out. Untreated dreads and not enough moisture. Then some fall out with perms. I did great until I switched perms and the thinning started and I switched back but it still kept thinning so I stopped. I take that as me not taking care of it because I switched to a stronger perm. Either way you can just do a trial and error and see which is better

I'M SCARED!!! lol I've had my hair almost to my ass since high school idk if it'll come back this long. Ita just such a struggle having to buy and use 2-3 perms at a time.
graciefreesoul
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

most brown women i've seen (if not all) with a twa (I hooked mine up with a lil gel to separate the curls) looked great...it may look funny to you b/c you're not used to it but i love it! lol i wasn't really scared...i've chopped mine off twice..the first time was to get the relaxed parts off and the second time was when i had 15" of natural and wanted to do something new....i sooooooooo wanted to get it real short and did it a little at a time and then started going to a barber and each time i had them go lowerj/shorter LOL...omG it was amazing haha...i was a bit scared at first of what other ppl might think or having ppl stare at me but i got over it 2 seconds later... :)

Quoting akingsmom:

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I've been doing a little reading myself because I'm tired of the cycle. Scary though I read you have to do a big chop. I havent had short hair since I graduated middle school.

akingsmom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Quoting mami1012:

I've recently gone natural over the last 4 years or so I guess.  I love it and I hate it.  I love it because my hair curls up with just water and grease.  And I found this wonderful product to use that brings out the curl in your hair.  It works great.  I'll look for the name of it on my next potty break, which I know will be soon!!!  lol  I recommend it.  And if you have short hair, even better.  I say that cuz ppl say I have "white-girl" hair (no racism intended) even without the perm.  So you end up looking like Halle Berry in Dark Tide (her new movie), with this stuff.  

And if you DON'T have that kinda hair, lemme know...I have a friend who's a pro with the natural do thang!  I can just ask her.  

y do you hate it? No "white girl" hair here lol pure black very long almost 2 ft if she can help that'd be great! I have a friend who has good hair and she uses kinky curl and swears by it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)