Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies
Ok so I have been relaxing my hair since I was like 8. 20+ yrs later I'm tired of having to perm my hair every four weeks. My hair NEVER lets me go longer easily. Real nigga shit here lol. I've been thinking of going natural but I don't know. I have no natural hair ppl in my life so I don't know what to expect. Is natural better than perming?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Replies (71-80):
3xangel
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

take good hair out of your vocabulary. All healthy hair is good hair. grade and texture don't make hair good or bad.

This. I'm thinking hard about going natural because I want to see what my natural hair looks and feels like, but I also like the relaxed look too. I'm on the fence about what I want to do, so I'm using this time to do lots of research. For now, I'm just letting my hair grow out without a relaxer until I fully decide which way to go.

RobinSun
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Forgot to add.

I have like three hair types on my head. Top front has really loose "uncurls" (I know its not a word but that's the only way I can describe it...djm) the middle back portion is really tight coils, at the nape its loose curls but not like the front. Wait there's one more. On the sides those curls are between tight coils and loose curls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Ctfu

Quoting MandiFuego:

Quoting akingsmom:

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

Real nigga shit? I have locs.

if I don't perm it soon enough it locs on its own...real nigga shit

ima need u to find a comb or something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM
I have locs.

I've been relaxer free since '10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasha
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I like having natural hair but it is still work. However it is healthier now and those toxins aren't being absorbed in to my body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on May. 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I've been natural for almost 7 years, been wearing locs for the last 3 1/2 years. I love being natural, and love wearing locs even more.

Pink_Sunshine
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

honestly Toxins are everywhere. In lotion, makeup, in the Environment. Sadly we can't avoid them no matter how hard we try.

Quoting lalasha:

I like having natural hair but it is still work. However it is healthier now and those toxins aren't being absorbed in to my body.

monkeydavis05
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

i say go for it. whats the worst that could happen? if u hate it down the road, the creamy poison is always there lol. i just recently went natural, i grew my relaxer out for about a year 4months, trimming the ends, then about 2 weeks ago i cut off all the remaining relaxer. i personally love either the really short natural looks, or the long ones, not so much in between. so since my hair is now at the in between length, im wearing a sew in and/or kinky twists until its at the length i desire.

i love the versatility so far, and im not ever going back to relaxing. if i want it straight one day, i'll get it blow dried and flat ironed. thats it. i say do some research WHILE you are letting it grow out, so when and if you do decide to jump fully in, your not completely lost. my texture is totally different than what i assumed it would be (my mom started relaxing mine at around age 6).

like some other ladies mentioned, youtube is great when it comes to styling tips and options, and sites like curlynikki.com, blackgirllonghair.com, ect all have tips and forums where you can get ideas and ask questions to other natural ladies.

it may seem like alot of work at first, but its only bc you've been relaxing for so many years. of course its a change. go for it!

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on May. 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree!

Quoting navybeauty88:

Whatever route you choose to go, just make sure your hair is well taken care of. That will be the determining factor in whether it grows healthy and looks nice. I've seen people with natural hair and it looks just as crazy as I don't know what lol. I've seen the same with some people who have relaxed hair. If its not taken care of, it's gonna look crazy whether you are relaxed or natural. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avitar
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone seems to have a different experience with going all natural. For me it has not been a good one.11/2 years in. I cut all of my hair for starters, I was exited to see my hair grow in it's own texture, and in it's own time while protective styling with Human hair wigs and wig caps. I do not use sulfates or other harsh chemicals in my hair, and haven't been for a year and a half. I have come to be frustrated with my hair naturally because it does not hold moisture, is breaking off terribly at the top of my head and right side, too, mostly. I see hair in my shower, and when I run my fingers through it, as well as when I use a very wide tooth comb with no seam. It is still natural, but it has been hell, it's in worse condition than when I permed it. My scalp seems to itch a lot more,too. If I don't find a solution soon, this bad boy's gettin' permed up! I have read somewhere that our hair is not meant to be combed groomed or washed, it is only meant to lock up. That is why our hair falls out, and or doesn't grow long, we over groom ,Well, I'm into grooming!.. Some people are on the NO POO Method on Cafemom. My scalp itches and hair is breaking off worse than when I relaxed it. It is actually shorter, uneven and tore up, Like it's fried. Count down to the Creamy Crack. 5,4,3,2, Go, go, go!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)