Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies
The man and I were having a conversation at dinner and the topic of parents final wishes came up. He's his fathers only child and he's thinking about getting a cheap policy out on his father because he knows that if his father was to go before his grandmother, she would want her son home. (He lives in Kentucky and we live on the gulf coast) And he feels obligated as his only child to see that her wishes are granted. Now there is somewhat of an estrangement, hell one might say no relationship what so ever and dh is fine with that because if his grandmother goes first, then his father can figure out on his own how he's getting 6 ft under.
So my question is, do you know your parents final wishes?
I don't. My father may as well dig his own plot, cuz I'd be damn. My mother is married so I ASSume her husband knows her final wishes. But after today I think I may ask her just to see what's what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
graciefreesoul
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

my dad is gone and mom wants to be cremated...for me i have a spot in the nat'l cemetary back home b/c of the whole military thing but here recently i told ma we all need to make arrangements, it's something that really needs to be done...when my dad passed away he had term life and was gone too soon for the insurance to pay so his sister is making payments to cover his very simple service that was 2 years ago...i don't want that responsibility to land on anyone so i'ma play like my fair skinned ancestors and take care of what the military wont which i think is just my casket  and a marker of some sort...i just have one child and don't want that responsibility to fall on her...

Anayiah3
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM
my mom kinda knows.. my brother is only ten so she wants me to take care of him NOT my dad or other 5 siblings AND I am responsible for everything I get all cash and belongings and give my siblings a cut... dd and my little brother have insurance and she named me first again.. its a huge responsibility to even think about but I'm happy she believes I am the strongest of us four adult age children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sexychica25
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Well due to a fallout, my brother and I are no longer on speaking terms and if his "wife" has anything to do with things (she wears the pants in that family) it ain't gon be pretty. And the LAST thing I wanna do is argue while our mother ain't even lukewarm in the earth. So yeah, I might have to have a serious chit n chat with Jennifer.

Quoting ksbondgirl:

My mother has already decided who gets what and my sis and I will not argue.  We are very, very close anyway.  We are the only ones left in our immediate family.  We had 6.

Quoting sexychica25:

And see that's all I wanna know. I just wanna make sure she has enough to cover her expenses and what have you. I'm not into arguing with my brother on who gon get what cuz who's to say there's sumthin to f

have. I just wanna make sure whatever Jennifer wants, she gets; and her bills are paid for.lol

Quoting ksbondgirl:

My father already passed away but my mother is still here.  She has things all wrapped up for me and my sister.  She has a living will and she let us know where her papers are and to follow her wishes.  My sister and I have no issues and intend to follow it to the last detail.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TGOLD1
by Yeah, I'm That Chick on May. 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I know some of my fathers', he let my step mother, brother & I know some & his attorney will inform us of the rest.That's just how my dad operates...Gotta love him:)

My mother has shared her final wishes w/ myself & my other siblings.

krisdev67
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Yes actually I do.  My father just wants to be buried, no service.  It's against his religion.  My mother wants the bells and whistles, music, drinks etc and she wants to be buried above ground.  I told her to make sure that their insurance police has enough for mausoleum because we don't have money like that.  Oh and neither one of them wants to be on life support if they don't have any brain activity.  Also, because I'm the oldest I have final say about everything.  However my siblings and I are tight and have already discussed the family house staying in the family and us keeping the taxes up to date on it. 

smiley83
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM
This, and I don't plan to either

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

I've never had that conversation with my parents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM
My father was properly buried, the way he would have wanted it done, my grandparents went above and beyond to make sure of that.

My mother had a decent burial, I'm not sure if her wishes were carried out, but my aunt worked with what she had.

All of this was said and done before I hit double digits, so that phase of my life has passed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Princess223
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM

My Mama has a pre-paid already setup with her wishes laid out.

rayroe2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM

She I am not one to talk about that topic, I don't know nothing abouts wills or wishes

1214Choc
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM
My mama's final wishes are to be put into the ground. The end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN