Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

MY MIL EMBARRASSED ME IN PUBLIC........

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM
  • 39 Replies
We went out to eat Monday night for Mother's Day. My mil a has favorite seafood restaurant that her and her friends eat at on a regular bases. So it was me, her, her mom, and her best friend. At the end of the meal she pulled out her new cell phone and said her phone had a feature on it to help calculate the tip. I looked at the check and told that the tip should be 20%. She said oh and pulled it up on her phone and it calculated 20%. She then replied that she did not know she was suppose to leave that much. I told her nicely to leave 15%, but she left 10%. Her friend left less. I did not bring any money or cards with me to make up the difference and if I would have known the tip would have been an issue I would have decreetly given the server more money or not have went to dinner. We ate $140 and the server only received $12. I am a past server and people should not go out to eat if they can't tip accordingly. I did not know how to tell her that in a nice way. I told my husband and he said not to worry about it, but it really bothers me that she thought it was ok to leave what she left. How can I nicely explain to her that servers make 2.13 an hour and pay taxes on all there food sales. When you don't leave at least 15% you are making them work for free. Plus servers don't keep all there tips they also tip out on their sales. Should I talk to her or just leave it alone?
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Leave it alone. She's obviously set in her ways, she pulled out her handy dandy new fancy phone to show off, & STILL left a stingy tip.

You, on the other hand, should never go anywhere without your own money or cash in your pocket, because you never know what situation may arise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeydavis05
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

i just wouldnt go out to eat with her anymore. if she questions why, then you can address it

1214Choc
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Why didn't you have any money or cards on you?

mommyagain426
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Yes I agree but she was very firm about paying for the meal. I will never put myself in that situation again. I will be prepared
mommyagain426
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I did not bring any she insisted she had it. She said she did not want me to pay anything. I probably won't be going out to eat with them again and not be ready. I realize I made a mistake.
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't talk with her about it..If you go out again you already know she's a poor tipper.. Have extra money to cover the tip, if it really bothers you. 

mommyagain426
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I agree.
Sharon911
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I used to wait tables and bartend and I can't stand when people don't tip properly. I would just leave it alone and never again go out with her w/o money or credit cards. $12 on $140?!?!? The server should have received $28 if the service was good.

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM
That's what I'm saying. Never leave home without money

Quoting 1214Choc:

Why didn't you have any money or cards on you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetiepie81
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM
This!

Quoting Litlmama87:

Leave it alone. She's obviously set in her ways, she pulled out her handy dandy new fancy phone to show off, & STILL left a stingy tip.

You, on the other hand, should never go anywhere without your own money or cash in your pocket, because you never know what situation may arise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN