Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have to ask this question, as it shocks me

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM
  • 33 Replies

Do restaurants in the U.S. really pay their waiters and waitresses $2.13 an hour?  I'm actually shocked because the tipping post was not the first, second, third or fourth thread on CM where I've read that somewaiters / waitresses make $2.13 an hour. 

I just started reading the book "The Help".  This story though fictional, has a lot of truth to how things were back in the 50's.  Back then those who worked as housekeepers made anywhere from 70 cents to $2 an hour.  That was back in the 50's, we're now in the millenium and to hear of people taking on a job that pays that type of wage is mind boggling to me.  Mind boggling because how does someone live off of that type of money, where there are other jobs that pay more than that.  Even if you only have a high school education.  Like I mentioned in the other thread, teenagers at McDonalds in my area make at least $10.25 an hour (that's minimum wage for the province of Ontario, Canada).  This is the minimum amount an employer is allowed to pay his / her employees, anything below that is "illegal".  Jamaican and Mexican seasonal workers who come to my town to work in the fields and greenhouses make that amount per hour.

My question is, is it legal in the U.S. for an employer to pay their staff $2.13 an hour?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM

yes because they make tips that are supposed to make the difference since min wage is 7.25

RobinSun
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Yes its legal. I think they count tips too. I'm not sure so wait for others to reply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

This is true.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

yes because they make tips that are supposed to make the difference since min wage is 7.25

rayroe2
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

when I worked at bk I made 7.55 an hour doing overnights.

1214Choc
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM
4 moms liked this

What she said. 

I've never had a job in food service, and I would never take one just because I couldn't see myself dealing with someone else's food.  I could be wrong, but making $2.13/hour isn't so bad when you work at a fine dining restaurant where the ticket for a couple averages over $200.  People who go to those types of restaurants already know how to tip and they usually tip well.  It's when you work in the Applebee's and Chili's type of restaurants when it becomes a problem.  People think it's cool to go to those type of restuarants eat of bunch of shit, have a $120 bill for like 8 people and then leave a $12 tip like they just did big shit.  Uh....no. 

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

mamaofficer
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I never understood what the tip has to do with the minimum wage. Who came up with this stupid law, and why has'nt anybody tried to get it changed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Damn why are you still tripping about that. You act like you was the server and you got shitted. Damn get over it, I did, the person that tipped the people did, the server did.

Quoting 1214Choc:

What she said. 

I've never had a job in food service, and I would never take one just because I couldn't see myself dealing with someone else's food.  I could be wrong, but making $2.13/hour isn't so bad when you work at a fine dining restaurant where the ticket for a couple averages over $200.  People who go to those types of restaurants already know how to tip and they usually tip well.  It's when you work in the Applebee's and Chili's type of restaurants when it becomes a problem.  People think it's cool to go to those type of restuarants eat of bunch of shit, have a $120 bill for like 8 people and then leave a $12 tip like they just did big shit.  Uh....no. 

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1214Choc
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Girl....boo. Ain't nobody still on nothing. I was giving an example. Never once did I refer to you by name or your situation.  Because as I recall it, y'all weren't even that generous.  But at any rate, you put yourself on blast, not me...so whatever. 

Quoting mamaofficer:

Damn why are you still tripping about that. You act like you was the server and you got shitted. Damn get over it, I did, the person that tipped the people did, the server did.

4kings1queen
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Yes, its legal. And thats false about the fine dining restaurants. I worked at copelands and a private steakhouse. Black people came in al the time and said they had an eyelash in their food, they want a discount on a 22.00 steak, they didnt like the food but cleaned the plate. I even worked at copelands and found out quick the customers was still stuck in the 40's. Calling some black waiters/waitress 'colored'. It's just that people are sad. ive seen people rent out private rooms,knew a tip was included and still tried to figure out a way so they could get a discount.
1214Choc
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Wow!!!!  I had a classmate who used to work at the Oceanaire (it's a seafood restaurant here) and she said the average bill would be like $300 for a couple and she said that she only had to work the weekends because her tips from Friday and Saturday night would be enough for her to cover her bills. 

Quoting 4kings1queen:

Yes, its legal. And thays false about the fine dining restaurants. I worked at copelands and a private steakhouse. Black people came in al the time and said they had an eyelash, they want a discount on a 22.00 steak, they didnt like the food but cleaned the plate. I even worked at copelands and found out quice the customers was still stuck in the 40's. Calling some black waiters,waitress 'colored'. It's just that people are sad. ive seen people rent out private rooms,knew a tip was included and still tried to figure out a way so they could get a discount.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)