Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Curious, has...

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 31 Replies

Reading a book ever changed your life?  Which one and why?

by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rayroe2
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Green eggs and ham =] lol it had a good lesson in it.

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on May. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The Value in the Valley by Iyanla Vanzant, The Historical Origins of Christianity by Walter Williams, The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord,  and The Politics of Breastfeeding by Gabrielle Palmer are a few.  

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Quoting rayroe2:

Green eggs and ham =] lol it had a good lesson in it.

Please share the lesson with me:
KymberleeAnn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Quoting Alyson121:

The Value in the Valley by Iyanla Vanzant, The Historical Origins of Christianity by Walter Williams, The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord,  and The Politics of Breastfeeding by Gabrielle Palmer are a few.  

Why? What made these books so special to you?
Delila12
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Flyy Girl and The Coldest Winter Ever changed my perception. Reality changed it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Quoting Alyson121:

I love Iyanla Vanzant

One Day My Soul Just Opened Up, In the Meantime, Peace from broken pieces by Iyanla Vanzant.

Living the Wisdom of the Tao, Manifest your Destiny- 9 spiritual Principles by Dr Wayne Dyer.

Mostly therapy books.

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Quoting inmybizz:

Can you tell me more?
MandiFuego
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Chapter books in general. I was about to get held back because it seemed like I couldn't read, just turns out that I wasn't interested in those books( see spot run type of books)...my teacher gave me a chapter book and I ate it up! They didn't use the accelerated readers program until 2nd grade, but they were trying to hold me back into first..by the time they used to program with me ( in 2nd grade) I had one of the highest reading levels of my grade, even passing kids that were grades or 2 ahead of me!

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on May. 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Quoting Alyson121:

The Value in the Valley was an internal self help book that help me see things from a different perspective and that it was okay to be who i was and how i was.  

Historical origins of christianity is one of those books you would have to find out about for yourself.  It was very eye opening for me as far as the truth and dept of meaning of how we practice religion today.  

Society of the Spectacle is a CLASSIC and let's me know that "The Matrix" is alive and well.  

Politics of Breastfeeding has been instrumental in confirming that me breastfeeding my children is the right choice and doing it past 6 months or 12 months or 2 years is an even better choice.  It really breaks down how politics and advertising is responsible for why women don't nurse their young today. 

There's WAY more but really, it's not something i can type out on a social network forum.  

KymberleeAnn
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Okay I'm enlighten and thanking you sincerely..

"Politics of Breastfeeding has been instrumental in confirming that me breastfeeding my children is the right choice and doing it past 6 months or 12 months or 2 years is an even better choice.  It really breaks down how politics and advertising is responsible for why women don't nurse their young today."

This part in particular tug a my heart strings because I am a late breast feeding mommy my child is 29 months and just drinking away...

Thank you for encouraging and up-building me. 

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Quoting Alyson121:

The Value in the Valley was an internal self help book that help me see things from a different perspective and that it was okay to be who i was and how i was.  

Historical origins of christianity is one of those books you would have to find out about for yourself.  It was very eye opening for me as far as the truth and dept of meaning of how we practice religion today.  

Society of the Spectacle is a CLASSIC and let's me know that "The Matrix" is alive and well.  

Politics of Breastfeeding has been instrumental in confirming that me breastfeeding my children is the right choice and doing it past 6 months or 12 months or 2 years is an even better choice.  It really breaks down how politics and advertising is responsible for why women don't nurse their young today. 

There's WAY more but really, it's not something i can type out on a social network forum.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)