Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Quit or get fired.Advice please?? (kinda long) *PIOG*

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM
  • 56 Replies

So I've been at my job for a month now and last night was my 3rd time being called into the manager's office. The 1st time I went to the manager's office because I wasn't feeling well and wanted to see if I could leave early. The store manager told me that if I could stick it out til the morning that would be great. She also said that she felt like I didn't appreciate my job and that I didn't like being there although she has only met me twice. She was the one who hired me and then I saw her that night.She said when she hired me, she felt like I wasn't the right candidate for the job. I was shocked but sucked it up and went back to work.

The 2nd time was when the support manager called me to the office about zoning (making sure everything is pulled to the front of the shelves and looks presentable), and not covering other people's breaks (it was an honest mistake). He also said that he felt like I didn't want to be there and that I was dragging my feet getting work done when in my eyes I felt like I was doing okay.

The 3rd time was last night. The assistant manager called me to the office and asked me to rate my productivity. I told her I felt like I was doing fine. She told me that after being there for a month she expected me to know how to sort the returns baskets properly and get all other work done in a timely manner.

Last night was busy, with about 10-12 customers per line and there were only 3 cashiers, one who was not on the registers so in between trying to run register and getting returns done, I ran a little behind.

She told me that she was putting me on notice and that if I didn't improve within the next month, I would be terminated. I am trying my hardest at this job and yet all it seems like is I get criticized. Speeding up yes I can do that but the main concern everyone is talking to me about is about my attitude towards the work.

They all say that I act like I don't want to be there or get the work done. When given an assignment, I start on it and get it done. They say I show no enthusiasm about my work. I didn't know I was supposed to jump up and down. I don't understand how I can show that I am happy about getting work to do I guess. I'm confused, frustrated and mad. Advice please?? Thanks ladies.

by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MandiFuego
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd ask them for specific examplesw that deal with you personally and how they feel you should have accurate done things. You are new to the company even if you've done the work before all companies run differently.

I also wudda asked homegirl WHY she hired me if she thought I wasn't the right person for the job ( but that's the bitch in me)

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

i honestly don't know. Are you smiling at customers? Did they tell you about zoning? There is a way to sort return carts? At wal mart the return carts always look random and cluttered to me. And again, how, are you supposed sort and what not while servicing customers?

luvmia
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Do you work with Caucasians? Because this sounds like situations I and other African Americans have dealt with. I find that they hire us and keep us long enough to get their tax credits and then they fire us. During the time you work for them, they nip pick on things that are very trivial and minute while giving write-ups (which is just a paper trail to "justify" your termination if you shall decide to file a lawsuit).

I think you should pray about it and consider finding another job.

luvmia
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

It seems like they want her to work like a slave. It doesn't make sense to run between servicing customers and trying to do return carts.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

i honestly don't know. Are you smiling at customers? Did they tell you about zoning? There is a way to sort return carts? At wal mart the return carts always look random and cluttered to me. And again, how, are you supposed sort and what not while servicing customers?

luvmia
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I think this is a valid question to ask. It what was the reason to tell her that in the first place. She could have kept that to herself.

Quoting MandiFuego:

I'd ask them for specific examplesw that deal with you personally and how they feel you should have accurate done things. You are new to the company even if you've done the work before all companies run differently.

I also wudda asked homegirl WHY she hired me if she thought I wasn't the right person for the job ( but that's the bitch in me)

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

And wait, if you are cashier why are you responsible for the return carts or zoning? That is what the stockers are for? I'm so lost.

I agree with Mandi ask them for examples of the negativity they feel you are bringing and for advice to rectify the situation.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

and see I have done that. I've asked how they felt I was giving on the vibe that I didn't appreciate my job and what I've been told is that I don't act happy about doing my work and that I drag my feet when getting stuff done. I don't know HOW to act happy though. I mean if they give me something to do, I get it done and then move on to the next task. My CSM told me that I should smile more while I'm doing my work so I'm going to try to be more concious (sp) of that.

I was going to ask her that lol but I didn't want to get fired after only being there for 2 weeks lol

Quoting MandiFuego:

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Yes I'm smiling at customers. As a cashier I have been told that there are no problems it's just the work I do outside of cashiering (if that's a word) Yes, they have told me about zoning. When it's slow I go up and down every register and pull them up to the front, straighten them out and make it look presentable.

As far as the return carts there are 17 of them and they are catergorized by some of the items on that aisle. Like diary would all go in one basket, so milk, cheese, eggs, etc. I'm supposed to do both at the same time. From where I'm doing returns I can look back up and see the register so if I see the cashier is backed up then I stop and get back on my register to get the line down then I resume doing the returns.
Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

rayroe2
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I was treated like this when I worked at bk, I wasn't picking up on things fast enough after a month and wasn't giving the right change so my draw would come up short but they would forget to get me a new cash draw so it was shared a few times. So I got wrote up a lot in my 1st month and since I was a closer I never cleaned up fast enough for them and they always got on to me about it and I just smiled and said okay I am doing it has fast as I can and I am short so I cant move fast like a tall ass person. I got put on overnights and got a raise after talking to the manger a bunch of times and found out where stuff was coming from and what not and everything got fixed and I was hired because they didn't have enough white people working there so I was just a slot holder, and was almost fired but they liked my attitude towards work. Are you always on time? do you say okay with a smile? like you know yourself what is your mental attitude when at work or the look you have when at work? what type of worker would you say you are?

sweetiepie81
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Are you not being friendly w/customers? Are you moving slow when you walk in or are headed to an assignment? Are you maybe saying how you feel bout the job in earshot of other employees? If so they might be snitching. Not b/c the manager is not on the floor means she/he is not aware of whats going on. If you need your job you better try to improve on what they've coached you on so far. Think bout how you act at work sometimes we do things w/o realizing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN