Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Parents charged for allowing their 15 yr old to have sex with a 21 yr old.

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • 45 Replies

SMITHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Parents may pay the price for an illicit love affair between a teenage girl and her grown-up boyfriend.

Stephen Rogers Jr. faces a charge of statutory rape, but police have also charged his girlfriend's parents with child neglect.

The parents admitted they didn't stop the relationship, in fact they did something to signal their approval.

She's 15. He's 21.

Bottom line: Their sexual relationship broke the law.

But some do not see this as a black-and-white kind of issue.

The young love between a 15-year-old girl and her 21-year-old boyfriend has this neighborhood taking sides.

"Some 15 year olds may be able to handle it, and some may not," neighbor Virginia Presnell said.

"He seems like a good guy," neighbor Angela Moore said. "I know there's an age difference, quite an age difference, but they're actually a really good couple. They're almost one of those perfect little couples you never see anymore."

Police arrested and charged Stephen Rogers Jr. on a single charge of statutory rape, but he's dated the 15-year-old for months.

Her parents liked Stephen, and six months ago, they invited him to live with their daughter inside their home.

Some neighbors saw a problem.

"I don't think a 15-year-old should be with a 21-year-old," Presnell said.

But some neighbors like Moore seem conflicted.

"It's just a fine line. It's really a fine line," Moore said. "I'm not going to say that it's OK. It's just that with their relationship, it's a little different."

A neighbor alerted the state's Department of Children's Services and from there, Smithville police investigated.

They wound up charging not only the 21-year-old, but also the 15-year-old's parents.

Bryan and Donna Smith each face a misdemeanor charge of child neglect.

According to court records, they admitted they approved of the relationship and several times gave the couple condoms.

Some neighbors saw that as responsible, not negligent.

But what police see matters more and will shape the future for both the couple and the parents.

"There's so much other stuff in this county that's so much worse going on, and they're worried about this," Moore said. "I find it to be kind of bogus really."

Because the case involves a child, investigators would not speak with Channel 4 News on camera today.

All three of those facing charges will be in court in the next few weeks.

DCS also continues to investigate the incident.

by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurplWildFlower
by Blaxican #1 on May. 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Well if make the decision to let a 21 year old move in with your 15 year old daughter, these are the consequences. IMO - this is parenting with effed up boundaries.
Litlmama87
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Never in my life will I move my minor child's boyfriend in.

Wtf? I never understood the logic behind that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pynkladyme
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I think it's a moral issue but not criminal. I wouldn't condone it for my daughter. Another ? I have is if parents can sign a permission for a minor to marry why is it a crime to give permission for sex?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on May. 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM

That's a good point. Sex before marriage is a sin, perhaps??

Quoting pynkladyme:

I think it's a moral issue but not criminal. I wouldn't condone it for my daughter. Another ? I have is if parents can sign a permission for a minor to marry why is it a crime to give permission for sex?

CoolRelax
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I don't care how cute they are as a couple, her parents should have had his ass arrested as soon as they knew his creepy man hand was touching their daughter.  It's like folks just refuse to believe that there is any value at all in their daughters they'll let any ole lech touch their baby girls then have them move in as well.  Crazy and I'm glad they were brought up on charges. 

Tish_Hughes
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Eh. I feel kinda like the relationship would have happened anyway. I don't really see a huge problem cause kids are sneaky. She could easily be running the streets behind him and the parents don't know. Is this something that I would do for mine, no. But I'm not gonna condem them. No worse than parents who's kids are knocked up at 13. At least the girl didn't get pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

that is a 6 year age difference lol is it not  sounding so right now no but once she hits 18 they can be together and when hes 66 she will be 60 so its just at that gross number.

rayroe2
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

yeah the fact that they let him move in is weird, that is like saying I know your a horny 15 year old so here's your bf that is just strange. I dont know maybe they were under close watch? you never know what goes threw other heads

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I agree. They wete aware, consented, and were teaching them to be responsible. I wouldnt let it go down in my house, but to each his own. There are way worst things to focus on imo.

Quoting pynkladyme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Good point. In a couple of months ahe would be legal to consent.

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Eh. I feel kinda like the relationship would have happened anyway. I don't really see a huge problem cause kids are sneaky. She could easily be running the streets behind him and the parents don't know. Is this something that I would do for mine, no. But I'm not gonna condem them. No worse than parents who's kids are knocked up at 13. At least the girl didn't get pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN