Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

f*** maybe

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM
  • 149 Replies

0ok i was reading another post n someone said that a person with a ghetto or unique name"Ja'darius Brayleigh " will not get a job over someone with a simple name such as "emily or  Carter" ???

Really i am on the fence with this one i will never name my daughter something thats ghetto she will have a simple name Regan ,Hayden ,Riley its just me i feel a girl should have a simple name especially if she is growing up as a black/ mixed race child???

As for boy dont too much care i no thats weird i named my son Ja'Darian sometimes i wish i would have named him Jordan

but what im asking what do you feel about kids with ghetto names do you think their name will stop them from getting a job ???

Do you think when they turn n a application someone will automically no they are black/ mixed race n over look them ???

p.s. me working n a all white job i get so tired of people asking how i prononuce my real name " Juanquia" n i refuse to let my daughter grow up with people picking on her because of her name or constantly asking whats her name n how you pronounce it

by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on May. 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

So let me get this right? You don't care about your son having an "ethnic" name but you refuse to let your daughter grow up with people picking on her because of her name? Is that right.

As far as the OP goes, I think a person's name can a deciding factor for getting a position. Case and point, my husband was picked for an interview because of his last name. The interviewer recognized it as a Bajan name and wanted to meet him. He got the job.

shayshay90
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

So let me get this right? You don't care about your son having an "ethnic" name but you refuse to let your daughter grow up with people picking on her because of her name? Is that right.

As far as the OP goes, I think a person's name can a deciding factor for getting a position. Case and point, my husband was picked for an interview because of his last name. The interviewer recognized it as a Bajan name and wanted to meet him. He got the job.

yea im saying that because i already chose the name but if i could chose his name again it will be a more simple name like Jordan n to be honest people dont really care about dude name its always the girls name that people tend to speak about

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I was sitting here scratching my head thinking the same thing ...

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

People do care about the men names as well ... not just the women.

Quoting shayshay90:

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

yea im saying that because i already chose the name but if i could chose his name again it will be a more simple name like Jordan n to be honest people dont really care about dude name its always the girls name that people tend to speak about

1214Choc
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't think it will stop him from getting a job per se, BUT its my opinion that if a recruiter is looking to hire and the top twoi candidates are Ja'Darius and Michael, more likely than not. Micheal will get the job. Even if Ja'Darius has more experience and interviewed better. We live in a society FULL of prejudices and having a "unique " name, speaks before that person even opens their mouth.

I was at my nephew's graduation this weekend and some of the names were ridiculous. Even some of the names that sounded. normal looked a hot damn mess on paper. For example Nicole was spelled Ny'Kohl...whit like that (IMO) is unnecessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shayshay90
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Quoting mspecan_tan:

People do care about the men names as well ... not just the women.

Quoting shayshay90:

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

not really but ok

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on May. 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I loathe the term "ghetto". Its a place plain&simple! I wouldn't necessary call people kids names that are unique "ghetto"! With that said its honest truth its hard for people to get a job and higher folks if they can't pronounce it. I have a unique name its not ghetto I don't think? I never lived in the ghetto! :-/ But I have searched and a lot of people do have my name! Its Trica sounds like Treesa. Most add an extra "i" in it went spelling it! I just wanted my kids to have an easier time with their names than I did! So what we're boring but still unique! We have a Christopher,Christina&Christian. I don't knock what others decide for their kids.
You have to read between the lines that does who have a lot to say about kids unique names!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sexychica25
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM
You on it today.

Quoting mspecan_tan:

I was sitting here scratching my head thinking the same thing ...

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shayshay90
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Quoting 1214Choc:

I don't think it will stop him from getting a job per se, BUT its my opinion that if a recruiter is looking to hire and the top twoi candidates are Ja'Darius and Michael, more likely than not. Micheal will get the job. Even if Ja'Darius has more experience and interviewed better. We live in a society FULL of prejudices and having a "unique " name, speaks before that person even opens their mouth.

I was at my nephew's graduation this weekend and some of the names were ridiculous. Even some of the names that sounded. normal looked a hot damn mess on paper. For example Nicole was spelled Ny'Kohl...whit like that (IMO) is unnecessary.

lol what the hell why they spell nicole like that but thats what im saying some people going over board even my white friends are going over board i understand their kids are mixed but damn Ron'TaNiya unique what the hell kind of name is that

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Thanks Choc ... OP seems to think a male having an ethnic name is "ok" .. its the female names that's the problem ...smh

Quoting 1214Choc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)