Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

spinoff based on a reply to one of my posts: Life Insurance?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM
  • 18 Replies

I'm 21. Never been married. But, I have a son.

I have quite a few life insurance policies. For me, for him, One that even has both mine and my ex's name on it, if for reason we BOTH die together ( seems less likely to happen now that we're in 2 different areas) but we wanted to be on the safe side to make sure he'd be ok.

Once lia is born, I'll have one for her too

I have a 401 K that's left to my sister and another few bank accounts all to be left to my sister, I've written special letters to her informing her of everything, with a copy in my special folder ( she knows YELLOW means IN CASE I DIE, OR AN EMERGENCY) Her and my aunt both know, if it's yellow, it's important lol money for my simple funeral ( also planned) and the rest for my children.

I'm very confident for at least 2-3 years my children will be financially taken care of due to the way I had things set up for them.

My BF: he has ONE policy, it goes to his mother, IF the military allows it, for his son, but he has NOTHING if something happens to his son :( I'm trying to explain to him things can happen, he thinks I'm over cautiious, 

What plans if any do you have for ur family if something happens to them, or u?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolRelax
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

My mom gets policies for all her grandbabies.  I think she does that Gerber one.  DH and I both have life through our jobs, he's got additional military coverage for us and I've been dawdling on getting a second policy for myself because I'd like to get non-smoker rates and I've got more time to go before I qualify.   

1214Choc
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this
We're covered if anything happens and so are our children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I don't have a Living Will but it's something I need to do in the near future. The amount of our insurance policies will take care of our dd thur college
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandiFuego
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting luvthagirl:

I don't have a Living Will but it's something I need to do in the near future. The amount of our insurance policies will take care of our dd thur college

nice :) my son's college is paid for by the state of NY...as long as he goes in NY....hopefully he'll do that...

MandiFuego
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Quoting CoolRelax:

My mom gets policies for all her grandbabies.  I think she does that Gerber one.  DH and I both have life through our jobs, he's got additional military coverage for us and I've been dawdling on getting a second policy for myself because I'd like to get non-smoker rates and I've got more time to go before I qualify.   

none of mine were based on my health, luckily... since I've been diabetic for years, I'm expected to die pretty early in life ( late 50's-mid 60's)

I miss smoking..so much....

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I was thinking about this ever since my mom passed away at age 51.  You don't have to be a senior citizen to get life insurance, but it's good to have in case of the inevitable.  I'm planning to get policies for myself and my kids.

zmama22
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

i have a really good life ins policy, and a trust set up so DD's guardians can take care of her if needed.

4kings1queen
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Maybe i need to get insurance on my ex. I always thought you wait until marriage for your s/o. Kida you get one asap.
KW1280
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I have a life insurance policy and a mortgage protection policy.  If either of us die the mortgage will be paid off and if there is a reamining balance it will go to the surviving spouse.  we have 2 policies one for the kids and one for us.  i aloso wrote out my funeral arrangements.  Let the army bury me in a pine box I won't be there.

MandiFuego
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KW1280:

I have a life insurance policy and a mortgage protection policy.  If either of us die the mortgage will be paid off and if there is a reamining balance it will go to the surviving spouse.  we have 2 policies one for the kids and one for us.  i aloso wrote out my funeral arrangements.  Let the army bury me in a pine box I won't be there.

lol that's basiclly how I feel, Nothing too flashy, I don't spend a lot of money while I'm alive, I dont need a lot of money spent once I'm GONE. I just wanna be buried next to my momma. I don't want them buying new clothes to bury me in either ( they did that for my mom and I was mad the whole time, those people KNEW my mother wasn't all about that!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)