Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

FB rants

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM
  • 13 Replies

What do you think is going on with people that use FB as a way to address issues in their life? I have read in here, as well as other groups in CM, posts talking about how someone posted something crazy on the wall of their FB page. I am an analytical person but for the life of me, I just can't understand why, for example, a person would tell the world that the person they married and later divorced did not show up to his oldest child's graduation ceremony. Although, I can understand the hurt that comes with that for a mother because she's thinking about her child ( in this case her son who also has a FB page), but to me, it's embarrassing. How does one not mind their coworkers reading something like that? How about people from their past who now have a better picture as to what's really going on in their life (which is none of their business). I'm confused people.

Why do you suppose people do this?

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MandiFuego
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM

LOL I remember when my BF divorce was final, he put that lady on BLAST. I was like, no, you don't do that, go delete that RIGHT NOW.

That's nobody's business but yall. Ain't nobody tell you to move in with her, have a kid with her, then proceed to marry her KNOWING the type of woman she is. So, ain't nobody business that you left her and she ain't get no alimony!

I do what I like to call PSA, basically it's for everybody on my page when I'm not in the mood : Don't call me, don't text me, Don't ask me bout my pregnancy. If you want to reach me you better message me, or email me and it better not be on no  stupid ish that can wait!

At times I use to vent slightly, or even to encourage myself or others :)

I don't put anything on there that I'd have to take back....like I think right now, one status is about my daughter having hair and on my other page is randomly, talking about me being so thristy throughout the pregnancy....it's not really anyone's "business" but it's not harmful really either lol

CoolRelax
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I like to keep it light on FB, when I'm on it. Which is not often.  I was FB friends with one of my girlfriend's daughters...whew she used to post some hot mess.  Barely looked like english but full of cussing and talking about how she partied with pics of her holding drinks and smoke coming out of her mouth.  I used to make little friendly comments to try and hold back, reminding her that most employers these days look at your FB page.  I was relieved when she got tired of that and unfriended me. 

Avitar
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I find that a lot of people seem to vent before they think.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a form of communication, some send e-mails, some text, then others get on their computers or hand held devices and type away about things that's troubling them.  In fact it takes courage to speak about your inner most fears with strangers.  It's like making notes in a public journal for all to see and comment on if they please.

And to add it's very therapeutic.

ksbondgirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

They need to bend an ear even if it is a public one containing total strangers.

bibadiva73
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM
I agree. Sometimes it's just TMI. I have had to leave FB alone for awhile and deactivate the update notifications because some people are updating every 5 minutes with up to the minute coverage about what they are doing. No one is that interesting.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I think its stupid. I only go on fb to laugh at how stupid are. I think the idea is to shame the person and embarrass him with the ppl they know. But even still I wouldnt care what a bunch of faceless computer ppl think of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthtone
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Okay, I can see this being the case.  

Quoting Avitar:

I find that a lot of people seem to vent before they think.

earthtone
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

I think it's a form of communication, some send e-mails, some text, then others get on their computers or hand held devices and type away about things that's troubling them.  In fact it takes courage to speak about your inner most fears with strangers.  It's like making notes in a public journal for all to see and comment on if they please.

And to add it's very therapeutic.

I agree it does take courage, but , in reference to the example I gave, what ever is going on in a person's family should be kept private. Or maybe that's just me and how I handle things. I would talk to family members about it before I go broadcasting my business to people who really could care less.

Therapy?  There are so many other ways to manage stressful situations such as this one.  She will never be able to change her son's father, but she can change the way that she reacts to the foolish things he does. His not showing up to her son's graduation will only come back to haunt him later on in life. I can't tell you how many older men I run into that regret not taking the time to be a good father to their kids. They end up scarred along with their children.

earthtone
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Quoting Diva-Mami:

I think its stupid. I only go on fb to laugh at how stupid are. I think the idea is to shame the person and embarrass him with the ppl they know. But even still I wouldnt care what a bunch of faceless computer ppl think of me.

Even that person that is considering hiring you for a job?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN