Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

The birth control shot

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM
  • 26 Replies

Is anyone on it.. The Depovera shot.. Ommgg.. Ive been on it like a month now, and its driving me insane.. Im having all types of crazy mood swings!!Yesterday my SO wanted to call my doctor because I was going crazy on him, Is there anything better out there... I really dont want to do pills as I cant remember & IUD's kinda freak me out... Im still breastfeeding still though..

Thanks

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akingsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Sorry can't help. I've only did pills...I set an alarm on my phone so its a lil harder to forget lol
MandiFuego
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Everyone I know that used the shot, got HUGE.

IUD's freak me out too, in fact all forms of BC freak me out.

Maybe your body just needs to balance out before you switch to something else?

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I'm sorry for your trouble with this Depovera shot. After my second child was born I got a shot of it.  I did not notice any sort of mood swings creeping up, but that was only one shot I never got anymore.  

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I used it for a few years, I never noticed any outrageous mood swings but I did gain weight, had bad acne and my hair fell out a lot. I finally decided to stop and switched to the pill. I have no complaints about the pill.

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I have Paragard IUD.  It's non-hormonal and the procedure is about less than 15 minutes, the only painful (pinching feel) part is when she (my OB/Gyn) used forceps to open my cervix to insert the device, no pain once the remove the forceps.  I've had Paragard, since '08 and so far, no pregnancies.  If I wanted it removed, I just set up an appt, prep me, prop me and she can reach in and pull the little string that's attached to the IUD.

My sucky side effects are heavier period and I can't use tampons.  If the string of the IUD gets caught in the tampon material, the tamp' can possibly pull out my IUD and I would have to go back to my OB/Gyn to have another put in, so it's big bulky gross "half diapers" (maxi pads) for me. 

ChantalsMom
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Tried it once many moons ago and I was bloated, moody and bled like a pig.

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM
I've been on the shot since having my dd 4 years ago with no problems
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Tried it once right after my son was born and I HATED it. Gained weight, never stopped spotting, moody, etc. I live by the pill, hell looking at my son is enough reminder for me to take it everyday.

honey27
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

i take the patch so that may help but u have to change them every week. i like them because i dont gain weight on them like the shot.

brownskinmama
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I gained 43 lbs in 3 months on the depo and had crazy mood swings too. Worse part is I had all preggo and Pam's symptoms the whole time too so I didn't even want to have sex. I barely ate due to nausea and got big anyways..... Still battling the gain because it basically shut my metabolism down. Took me 2 yrs to get a period and i was only on the shot for 6 months. Now im completely irregular fat and sad. Damn depo that was in 2006. Yes 6 years trying to get my life back :-( . I liked the ring and the patch but now I'm anti birth control because the depo also dam near sterilized me so of a baby pops up I'll be ecstatic. Good luck mama I pray the beast doesn't chew u up like it did me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)