Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Juicing for Toddlers? Do you do it? Any Tips?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have always been into juicing but stopped for a while.  I just got a new juicer because I enjoy it and remember the benefits juicing had on my body. Now that I have toddlers I would like them to enjoy it and make drinking fresh juice and veggies a part of their lifestyle.  To start, I plan to have them help me make simple juices they can also enjoy like apple and carrots.  I read that I should be aware of the juice/sugar on their teeth ( but one should be cautious anyway with all the processed juiced out there)...Anyone have any suggestions and tips?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM
I think its a good idea. We were looking to buy a jucier but we just never found a good one. What kind do you have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AugustMidge
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I only suggest you water it down some rather then give them full strength juice and not more then a glass or two a day. The sugar content is high. It's benefits are out of this world but like anything, its good in moderation. They are small so the amounts should be significantly less then yours. 

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Dont get the Jack Lalaane Juicer....piece of crap. I'm still looking for one with stainless steel parts instead of plastic ones, like the Jack Lalaane. It ended up breaking after three months. We used it almost everyday. My kids liked the fruit juices the best. The only veggie juice they would really drink was carrot...I miss juicing.

SavvyLondon
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You make a very good point. I am definitily going to do that. Thanks!

Quoting AugustMidge:

I only suggest you water it down some rather then give them full strength juice and not more then a glass or two a day. The sugar content is high. It's benefits are out of this world but like anything, its good in moderation. They are small so the amounts should be significantly less then yours. 

SavvyLondon
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

My first juicer which i got years and years ago was the Jack LaLane and it lasted forever through cleaning, dishwashing and everything. Then I got a Ninja which was useless + expensive.

I got the Jack LaLane again and it was only $99.

SavvyLondon
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Really? im a fan of the Jack LaLane... I also had a Ninja which I hated and never used.

The new Jack LaLane ones have surgical grade stainless Steel blades.

I'm going to the farmers market this weekend or maybe wholefoods to get some fruits and veggies to try it out. 

I'll keep you posted!

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a very wonderful idea,  we enjoy juicing too, pears, apples and carrots, the kids love that combo plus celery/apples/blueberries. Juice on teeth.  Like any other juices just rinse their mouths or brush their teeth afterwards.

I have a lot more juicing tips I can share later.

AugustMidge
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Rinsing is also very important, I am glad you pointed that out. Rinsing and brushing their teeth and not over doing the amounts I think are probably the two most important factors. As my philosphy Instructor in College use to say "Too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing." even if that anything is something that is good for you. 

By the way KymberleeAnn, I was wondering what wonderful recipes you have in your stash? I LOVE JUICING! 

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

It's a very wonderful idea,  we enjoy juicing too, pears, apples and carrots, the kids love that combo plus celery/apples/blueberries. Juice on teeth.  Like any other juices just rinse their mouths or brush their teeth afterwards.

I have a lot more juicing tips I can share later.

CafeMom Tickers
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I love juicing a few of my favorites( some for kids/some for adults. I have a ton of recipes if you want more pm me.

Green Apple Juice

1 apple

3 carrots

handful of parsley

3 spinach leaves

Fred & Ginger

1 apple

2 carrots

1 slatk of celery

1 inch of ginger

Veg Tonic

3 carrots

1 stalk of celery

parsely

1 clove of garlic

Liver Cleanse

2 apples

1/4 grapefruit w/o peel

1 sm bunch of grapes

1/4 lemon w/o peel

1/2 beet

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

a few tips for kids..My kid has food allergies so i always do a test before i give her new foods.

Some of the symptoms of food allergy are itchy skin, swelling tongue and lips, sneezing, blocked and runny nose, cough and short of breath.  There is a difference between being allergic to a food or being food intolerant.

Symptoms of food intolerance are often delayed and will manifest hours or even days later.  Most of the symptoms involve digestive problems like tummy pain, bloating, colic, wind, flatulence, and in more severe cases, diarrhea and vomiting.

If your child is prone to food intolerance, he probably has very low count of friendly bacteria in his digestive tract.  Check with your child's doctor about probiotics and vitamin C supplements suitable for your child.

Here are a few preventive measures you can take to minimize food poisoning when preparing to juice for your child:

• Where possible, try to go for organic fruits/vegetables.  They are best as they are also free from pesticides and chemicals.  If organic produce are not easily available where you are, invest in a good gear juicer that can separate out the pesticides and chemicals from the juices. 

• Ensure that the fruits you use for juicing for your child are ripe, not half ripe or nearly ripe or over-ripe, but just nicely ripe.  Fruits that are just ripe are less allergenic compared to those that are not ripe.  The most allergenic part of the fruit is usually the skin.  Try to remove the skin and see if it made any difference. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)