Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Soooooo I have a love hate relationship with my hair...... I've been natural twice and I'm back to my relaxer and short haircut (my profile picture). I LOVVEEE my haircut and I realized I'm just not the natural type..... Anyway it's time for a touch up (it was time a couple months ago), but I really don't feel like wasting my money on getting my hair done. My DD and I want to go to Disney next year and I'm saving for it. I just started my job and since I'm entry level I only bring home about 1300 a month. I know I need to get my hair touched up before it starts looking bad and unprofessional. Do you ladies have any tips on putting in my own relaxer? I've tried before and I think i overdid it because my hair started thinning and breaking like crazy (hence the reason for my second big chop). I want to do this in order to save money without ruining my hair!! HELPPPPPPP

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Replies (11-15):
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM
You can try a beautu school. They do them cheap and they are supervised. And they have been doing them for awhile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChicagoMimi
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I am a former hairstlyist.

#1 It's best to go to a professional, but if you are going to try it yourself here are a few tips

ONLY DO THE NEW GROWTH!!!

Don't relax your ends, do not comb it through. Just use the back of the comb to smooth the new growth

Never put the relaxer directly on the scalp

Follow the directions on the kit as to processing times and your hair texture. Don't leave it on longer to get it "bone straight". That is extremely damaging

Make sure you use neutralizing shampoo after you rinse the relaxer out. The neutralizing shampoo stops the chemical process. 

Make sure you condition your hair also and try to use a moisturizing conditioner. Relaxers can be really drying to the hair.

Hope that helps!

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM
A lot of people don't realize that when you wash your hair with the nueutralizing shampoo, the second or thitd wash, you're supposed to let it SIT for a few minutes. The chemicals have penetrated your hair shaft and need time to come out.

I told my sister this, and she does her own relaxers. She was totally surprised when the lather was completely pink after she let it sit for 4 minutes.
navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM
I'm no help. If I'm hard up on cash I won't be getting a relaxer. Period lol. Only professionals touch my head with color or a relaxer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Here's some vids that give step by step instructions and information for applying your own relaxer at home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)