Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline Youngster Kids : To Spank or Not to Spank

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hope I am posting in right area. Seeking some parental advice,encouragement,opinions. I have 3 youngsters ages 4,2 and 3 months. Lately their behavior is driving me little crazy. The four year old is going threw a period of thinking he knows it all, talking back, and crying when things don't go his way, the two year old does pretty well but has occasional crying to get attention or what he wants sessions. Plus they are always busy fighting over a toy or just into something. Oh and they are both boys

With all this being said I know these are just traits of a kid but my old discipline techniques are not working as well. I would make them sit down for a period of time for acting out or not listening or use the method of redirecting them to something else

Also what is really bad and makes me feel like a bad mother and disciplinary is that they act good and listen well when with other family members or when they go over a friends house. But as soon as they come to me they go into crazy mode jumping all around, not listening, and whining. So i know they have ability tomb good and behaved but maybe I'm not doing the right thing tom keep them in line.

Of course when I ask my ,mom who is old school what she thinks best discipline is she says "Whoop that Ass" but I want to try and break the cycle of physical punishment if possible but with a 3 month old and no sleep my nerves on edge and I am not sure what to do.

Any advice or suggestions on what has worked for you please share

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexychica25
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM
That first sentence made me snicker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikitice
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM
3 moms liked this

It is hard but if  you choose not to "knock them into next week" approach, you will need to constantly be in their ass. If your 4 year old is mouthy like mine was, constant conversation and the taking away of things is what worked for me. That being said, I do still have to administer the occasional swat because people in my gene pool act like they don't understand english unless I do.

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Beat em *in my celie voice*. Seriously sometimes you have to try something different to get the results. A swat to the backside may be all you need. You can also taking away all their toys and have them earn them back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I felt like I was just reading my life story lol. I'm going through the same thing with my 4 and almost 2 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kikitice:

It is hard but if  you choose not to "knock them into next week" approach, you will need to constantly be in their ass. If your 4 year old is mouthy like mine was, constant conversation and the taking away of things is what worked for me. That being said, I do still have to administer the occasional swat because people in my gene pool act like they don't understand english unless I do.

That's how I am over here. When I talk to these lil boys like I have some sense they don't understand but let me start yelling or grab a belt. They asses understand english, spanish or whatever other language I want them to comprehend. It's aggravating. I wish I could do the talk it out thing. Hell they don't care if I lock them out their playroom. They meddle with every thing else in the house more than they play with their toys anyways.

4kings1queen
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I think one is gonna do what they the other one do or worse. So, if you dont wanna tap that butt,idk.
RoyalBlossom
by Sweetest Cookie on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Me personally I think it's a combo of time out and spanking. However, all children are different and you have to find out what hurts them the most ( not physical or detrimental). My daughter loves Sesame Street and my attention, so there are times she pouts and acts a fool. I calmly walk into her room turn off her Sesame Street and make her sit in silence by herself. 

Overall consistantly reinforcing your rules should get the job done. I know as moms sometimes we let things slide, that normally we wouldn't because we are tired and once becomes twice until, you've lost control. So take a breather and start over.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

How often do you use physical discipline to correct your kids?  The reason I asked because that becomes old to children if it's used too often, and out of anger, when we discipline our children in order for it to be effective, the child must fully understand what it is that they are being disciplined for and along with the physical aspect of discipline we must talk to them and aim for their heart to correct the behavior that we dislike.

Children also need plenty of activites to keep them occupied, they tend to act out if they are bored. There could be a lot going on, if you are giving the 3 month old too much attention and not including the other children they could start to feel a sense of resentment and start to act out. (I'm not saying this is the case at all please don't get me wrong)

I feel that balance is always the key:  When it comes to training children, there has to be a balance between physical discipline and verbal correction and training. In my home there's a lot more verbal correction and explaining to my children the type of conduct that I want, accept, and expect, and the penalty for failing to comply, I understand that children will be children and they are very, very forgetful, nonetheless, I give them a few kindly reminders then if they continue,then it's pow, pow, time....

1214Choc
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I have nothing more to offer than what your mother has said. I have three boys, ages 15, 5, and 2. Putting my hands on them isn't my first approach, but I do have a problem with repeating myself and I refuse to let a child misbehave and/or embarrass me. Like you, I said that I didn't want to use physical discipline, but sometimes, they (mine) don't hear or even understand me trying to rationalize with them. But they DO respect the belt. I just walk around the house with the belt around my neck (I wear it like a necklace) and most days I don't have problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep u sound like me lol
Quoting 1214Choc:

I have nothing more to offer than what your mother has said. I have three boys, ages 15, 5, and 2. Putting my hands on them isn't my first approach, but I do have a problem with repeating myself and I refuse to let a child misbehave and/or embarrass me. Like you, I said that I didn't want to use physical discipline, but sometimes, they (mine) don't hear or even understand me trying to rationalize with them. But they DO respect the belt. I just walk around the house with the belt around my neck (I wear it like a necklace) and most days I don't have problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)