Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

peaches!!!! my hair!!! look!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

This is the hair that is probably going to be interlocked... do you think it'll last? This is my small braids I have in at the moment ,I'll post more pics of other styles if you want. I need a lady with locks to tell me everything you know because I'm either cutting it or locking it. And since I've never cut it more than a trim I'm pretty sure I'm headed for lock alley lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
MsCryStyle
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Surprisingly it was an easy transition for me. I had locks in H. S. Then i cut them off when they got too long. So this time around i knew wht to expect. I think because lock are so versatile it wasnt really a big deal.

Quoting 2love:

Oh one more question and I promise I'll lock my hair in silence from now on lol.... how long did it take you to get used to your hair not being loose? I never wear braids so my head feels a little strange knowing that once it locks it won't be loose again... about how long did it start feeling "normal "?

Quoting MsCryStyle:

When my hair was loose i fell into the wash n go routine. I was being plain old lazy. I knew better though. Wash your hair when NECESSARY not as a daily routine. If u do a dirty job than by all means wash it daily. (But you have to put moisture back in it.) but if your hair is not getting dirty on a daily basis just wash when it needs it. I wash my hair once a week in the summer and every two weeks the rest of the year.

Quoting 2love:

Yeah that's just nasty not to wash your hair... how often would be too much though because my maintenance guy just had to unclog my tub drain because there was a monster hair ball in it...df couldn't believe it but the only way my hair will actually look OK with out tons of work is by doing the wash and go... daily... so ima have to knock it back a notch probably huh lol

Quoting MsCryStyle:

You go 'head schoolin 'em about locks! :) i definately agree with the washing. Ppl have this idea that you have to keep your hair dirty to have locks but its definately not true....

P. S. I mixed up a spray last night for my locks i used peppermint oil, argan oil, tea tree oil and i brewd some rosmary i had in the cabinet cuz i didnt have any rosemary oil. When i say my hair smells great and it felt awsome on my scalp! I have been shoutin it from the mountain tops all day lol

Quoting .Peaches.:

Having locs is kinda....deep (well, for most people). The reason being, you end up spending so much time with and on your hair....it grows in stages, from baby, to teen, to mature.

Before I had locs, I never understood why people would go nuts if someone didn't ask to touch them first. I do now. First of all, its a personal space issue. Secondly, its a respect thing, especially if you're connected to your hair (I know, I sound pretty hippy).

Growing locs was and still is spritual for me...my locs are so much a part of who I am. And they taught me patience, and to love myself for what I really am, not for what someone thinks I should be. The lessons you learn as you're learning your locs and learning to love them really do translate to other areas of your life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisdev67
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Your hair looks great!

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Quoting atlshine:

I started my locs with waaaaaaay less hair than you, but here's my experience:

I had two stand twists for a week, then decided to interlock them myself with instructions I found online. It took quite a while for my hair to actually lock, and even after a year, I had some that weren't quite there. I braided a few for convenience sake, and though they are now locked, they seemed to have the most difficulty with unraveling, and then bulging. I believe palm rolling creates a more uniform loc, but I have dandruff and need to wash often, so interlocking worked best for me. I've had these three years and have not really fine through an ugly stage. When they were baby locs, I had to do more in the way of styling them so they didn't look extremely fuzzy, but that's all. This is the must convenient, free, funky hairstyle ever, and I plan on growing them for a long time.

I adore the palm-rolled look, but geez is it time consuming! They do, however, create the most visually appealing, uniform locs, but like I said, its very time consuming, and not even a very good choice if you're active.

So far, locs have been the best hairstyle I've ever had. Easy, low-maintenance, versitle, beautiful...like you, I plan on growing them for a long time.

BTW, I'm totally jealous you didn't go through the ugly stage. I did. I was horrible. But I probably exaggerated it more in my head....it probably wasn't as ugly as I thought it was. If I knew then what I knew now about styling options, I would've rocked so many cute styles that I can't do anymore because they're too long.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I'm not "Peaches" but I just wanted to add my two cents to this post and say, You have nice looking hair and maybe you should reconsider cutting it.

mummie2b2010
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My godmother has locks and they are gorgeous, she rods them, pins em up, Any style you can think of doing to loose hair she does!! I am in love with sister locks!! So If I do Lock I am getting sister locks!

I think they will most definitely fit you.

I know this post is about locks, but I most certainly know how you feel! I did a successful twist out today!! I havent liked my hair in a while, so I think this could rekindle that fire.

Quoting 2love:

Hey Brit brat!!!! What are you doing on cafemom!!! I haven't seen you on here in ages lol ...but yeah the big hair is over rated... and so is flat ironed hair because it's momentary. So... you wouldn't totally hate me if I lock it?! I got df to finally agree that he likes the tiny braids because my hair isn't so crazy at the moment. I know my mom will have a cow and a bear but it's my decision... what are your thoughts really?

Quoting mummie2b2010:

I love your hair like that!!! Hiiiiii joy!! And I too have been go through it with my hair!! From cutting it, to texturizer, to even perm thoughts!! I got the just for me texturizer last year and I had that same shedding that you have when you put In a perm . I liked my curls but it's not my natural pattern. I've been really looking at videos of different styles and methods to do my curls. I do not like the poofy curl hair that I get even though I wanted big hair for soooo long. Now I want long flowing curls because my hair got so long it hasn't been this length since I was in elementary school. So yea I want to show it off.

I do understand what peaches means about the water helping the locking process because I did the pineapple ponytail often and when I take it down my hair is locked in the middle and when I did wash n go's if I didn't detangle my hair would lock. I am trying to stick with my hair because autumn has my texture so by doing my hair I am learning more and more how to tame her hair. But I still have those days!

To connect with other moms who work from home and a chance to win a $25 giftcard Join my group H E R E/ Follow Me On Twitter H E R E/ Connect With Me on Facebook H E R E/ I earn $2.50 per email and name lead I generate(FREE) H E R E/ Refer 5 people to a new daily deal site and get a $50 giftcard(FREE!offer ends SOON!) H E R E/ To Learn How You Can Earn $100 per referral(My primary business that pays DAILY!) Watch This Video Of Me  H E R E

Shaybay218
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Nooooo...Dont cut it!!!

2love
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I've thought about it for a while... but cutting it terrifies me! Idk why locks seems more of a option to me... I have never had short hair so maybe that's why

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

I'm not "Peaches" but I just wanted to add my two cents to this post and say, You have nice looking hair and maybe you should reconsider cutting it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

There are some pros and cons with having dreads, that needs some considerable time to digest, then when you have such great looking hair to fathom the thought of cutting it is a big pill to swallow. I would not cut it if was you nor would I dread it up.

That's just me. I know you are grown but if I were you I would talk to my mother about it to get her imput, if you still have your mommy with you talk to her mom's are really good with things like this.

I wish you all the best!

Quoting 2love:

I've thought about it for a while... but cutting it terrifies me! Idk why locks seems more of a option to me... I have never had short hair so maybe that's why

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Dana267
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

What does interlock mean? Why change your hair---it's beautiful!

2love
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM
It's almost like crotcheting the hair instead of palm rolling it... and when my hair is loose it's completely wild! Lol

Quoting Dana267:

What does interlock mean? Why change your hair---it's beautiful!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)