Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Just a little bit from this article.

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/defense-gabby-douglas-hair-191700322.html

"Some critics insist that Douglas needs to properly represent the African American community, and how her hair looks is part of that. And yet, most of the negative comments about her hair are coming from other African Americans."

""I find it sad that I have seen more Black women post criticizing comments about Gabby's hair than I have comments of praise about her athleticism or adding color to USA Gymnastics since Dominique Dawes," writes Monisha Randolph at SportyAfros.com."

" Many African American women choose not to work out in order to protect their hairstyle, Randolph points out. "The last time I checked when you play a sport, you sweat. I know I do. And when a Black woman who has chosen to wear her hair straight begins to sweat, her hair will (not might) begin to revert back to its natural coily, curly, or kinky state," she writes. "Some of us are sitting up right now with our hair done but suffering from high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, obesity, and/or a lack of energy. Oh, but the hair is on point."

So what do you honestly think of Gabbys hair??

I will admit, on first sight I thought...the girl needs her hair done in a better ponytail, BUT after seeing her work magic..I didnt care as much anymore that her hair did not look as good as it could. I do not think she needs a relaxer or weave, I just think she needs a comb, brush, and a little jam and hair spary. Then put her hair up into a nice looking bun :-)

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I'm so proud of her, don't you just want to give her a big hug? I wish I could.

Quoting CocolateLady:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Gabby Won Gold!

Yep! She made history at 16 :-))

CocolateLady
by BookWorm on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Yeah I do. I know her mama is soooooooooooooooooooooooo proud of her little girl!!!!! :-)
Babujai
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:56 PM
I noticed her hair, but figured that's what happens when a black girl lives and travels with white girls. What's funny is that Kyla's hair was in the same ugly half-pony, half-bun. I guess nobody noticed that.

Haters gotta hate. Gabby's gotta fly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I bet she is... WOW! 

Quoting CocolateLady:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Yeah I do. I know her mama is soooooooooooooooooooooooo proud of her little girl!!!!! :-)

nikabear
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Go Gabby!!!! You made me so very proud and after watching you my daugther wants to do gymnastics!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chloe79
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:12 AM
It's damn sad that instead of focusing on the greatness she has accomplished the focus is on her hair. What in the hell? So what's the message we're sending? And we wonder why other cultures judge and stereotype us. Crabs in a barrel.
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM

What does her hair have to do with her skills!!!! I don't get it at all!!!!! She is a bad bad 16y old and I wish and hope my daughter use her as a role model.

spidermansmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM
I didn't notice. What I did notice is how confident, agile and beautiful she is. I would like to see those critics do what she did without a single hair out of place!
spidermansmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Read the article. F-ING HATERS! MAD CAUSE THEY CAN'T DIDN'T AND WILL NEVER DO WHAT SHE DID!!
WanziesMommie
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

When I first saw her and her hair, I didn't care & when I kept watching her as she performed, I still didn't care! Things such as the way someone dresses or the way they wear their hair doesn't bother or interest me, it's just not my type of concern at all.  It's all about her and her performance, she's definitely a winner:)  Lots of people  believe that there wouldn't even be any black audience if it wasn't for her being apart of it in the first place, hmm!  And I believe that unfortunately we as  "black people" are our own critics &  worst enemy....sad!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN