Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

lawsuit against school

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

New Jersey kids win $500,000 settlement after being forced to eat on school's gym floor

By NBC News staff and wire reports

Seven students forced to eat lunch on their New Jersey school's gymnasium floor for two weeks as punishment won a $500,000 legal settlement, their attorney said Tuesday.

The 2008 incident involved fifth-grade students at Charles Sumner Elementary School in Camden, N.J., who were disciplined after one child spilled water as he tried to lift a jug onto a cooler, according to lawyer Alan Schorr.

The students filed a federal lawsuit against the Camden Board of Education, which agreed to the settlement, Schorr said.

Discord
He said the incident took place against a backdrop of discord between the black and Hispanic populations in the impoverished southern New Jersey city. The children were Hispanic.

Schorr said the vice principal, who was African-American, punished all 15 students in a bilingual class by making them eat off paper liners normally used on lunch trays. (While there were 15 students in the class, only seven sued.)

"The African-American kids were eating at tables, with trays, taunting these Hispanic kids who were forced to eat on the ground," Schorr said.

The vice principal has since transferred.

CourierPostOnline.com reported that the board of education had approved the settlement but not admitted any guilt.

It added:

"Under the settlement, the students will split $280,000, which works out to $31,428 each. Their attorney, Alan H. Schorr of Cherry Hill, will get $220,000."

The children's teacher was fired after encouraging them to tell their parents about the punishment. The teacher won a $75,000 settlement earlier.

Neither school officials nor their lawyers could be reached for comment.

Reuters contributed to this report.

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Bump

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly what I was thinking!

Why some people get in this profession I'll never know. Then unfortunately, instead of people seeing this as an incident of stupidity, ignorance, and racism by this one individual they make people like him the face of all educators.

Quoting Stacey1081975:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micka5
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

thats what i said

Quoting Stacey1081975:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

lishistwins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Some people are just beyond ignorant. Good for the teacher for standing up for these kids. It would have been better had she told them not to sit at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybunches26
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

what kind of backwards country ass shit is this? why was one kid putting water on anyway.. im imagining a water tank.. thats labor isnt that illegal to start with? gag me i feel so violated by the bull that goes on.. we all need to work together.. and buns you being a teacher i know this must irritate you to no end... i loved my teachers hated my classmate but now as a parent as much as i loved school i am terrified to send her off until shes older and trained how to deal with some of the issues at school if ever.. shake my head when will things change?

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Why some people get in this profession I'll never know. Then unfortunately, instead of people seeing this as an incident of stupidity, ignorance, and racism by this one individual they make people like him the face of all educators.

Quoting Stacey1081975:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

kikitice
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does anyone have a job? Transferred...please

queensweet
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats why a lot of people from different walks of life are homeschooling. They even have online public schools. It is just so much stuff going on in the schools including a lot of violence and inappropiate teacher-student relationships. Sigh. smh.

Quoting Honeybunches26:

what kind of backwards country ass shit is this? why was one kid putting water on anyway.. im imagining a water tank.. thats labor isnt that illegal to start with? gag me i feel so violated by the bull that goes on.. we all need to work together.. and buns you being a teacher i know this must irritate you to no end... i loved my teachers hated my classmate but now as a parent as much as i loved school i am terrified to send her off until shes older and trained how to deal with some of the issues at school if ever.. shake my head when will things change?

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Quoting Stacey1081975:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I agree here. WOW!!!!

Quoting Stacey1081975:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

queensweet
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM
She might have found out about this after the fact. In a lot of schools, the teachers eat in the teacher's lounge.

Quoting lishistwins:

Some people are just beyond ignorant. Good for the teacher for standing up for these kids. It would have been better had she told them not to sit at all

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN