Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

How would you respond to a 20 yr old kid who is your husbands godson not speaking to you?  I am 39 and was brought up to speak to adults first when you are in their home.  Husband's godson has been staying with us for 6 months.  He was told atleast 3 times over a 6 month period to speak to me.  The last time I thought he got it, but today I walk in the house after a 10 hr work day, and he has his head buried in a cell phone. He hears me come in but says nothing. This is becoming a regular occurence.  I find this to be so disrespectful. He is only supposed to be staying for summer, but I fear it is going to be longer.  Is it wrong for me to want him to go? I am beginning to wonder if he has some issue with women.  I know he has problems with his mom and now I think he is taking it out on me.  I feel I have been nothing but nice to him.

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Replies (11-15):
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

He suppose to speak regardless because he is staying in your house not his own. He is a grown ass man start treating him as such. Tell him if he cant speak on a regular basis "GET OUT", I don't care what happened with his mom, he is now staying with you and he must respect you. As for Hubby he should make him respect you or again get out!!! My children better not walking in a room or see an adult walk in a room and not speak. It would be TROOOUUUBBBLLLEEE!!!!

Quoting gem618:

I was taught that if you are a child whether you are in the room already or not, you speak to the adult firsts. Like I remember playing at friends homes as a teenager.  When my friends parent walked in, I said hello Mrs... or Mr..... And my husband point of view is the same.  Kids speak first.  I used to speak first to this 20 yr old and he would wave back like he had not time to open his mouth.  Sometimes he would say hello.  Then I remember times I am already in the house and he would come in and say nothing.  That's just disrespectful to me.

wademom07
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Girl that is a grown man, either he acts like he got some sense or he needs to go. 

MsCryStyle
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Ugh unfortunately gentlemen are becoming a rare breed these days. Anytime someone walks in you are suposed to greet them. But like i said gentlemen are becoming extinct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikitice
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Let it be known. No one gets to eat my food and willingly ignore me like that is normal. He'd be put out dealing with me.

gem618
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I need to learn to speak up, especially in my own home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)