Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Would you allow your "Priveleged" child to sit out a semester??????

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  • 23 Replies
Is college an investment for parents? Taraji Henson thinks so. She recently made her son, Marcell, sit out his first semester of college to show him real life and the importance of hard work.

“I need him to see how real it is out here. It builds character. I told him, ‘College is like an investment. I’m investing my money in your future, and if I feel like you’re a bad investment, I’m taking my money back,” said the actress.
Although the idea of a parent making their child miss the first semester of college seems harsh, Taraji wanted her son to connect with the real world. “Even though he is privileged, he doesn’t remember the bad times when we were eating Hamburger Helper (boxed food) and peanut butter and jelly, he remembers all the good times. I don’t want to raise this privileged kid, who’s out of touch, so I made him sit out the first semester and he has to get a job. He called his grandmother, he was like, ‘It’s hard out here, it’s hard to find a job.’ So I was like, ‘Yeah, I need you to know that.’”

Do you think she did the right thing??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anabelle2301
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I seen this also, and although it may be a bit extreme. I think message she is trying to convey to her son is right. If it was me I would probably make him work through college, to pay for books supplies and etc, instead of letting him sit out a semester. But HEY! thats her son not mine lol

micka5
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think that she did anything wrong..that is her $$ & her son. I see the lesson that she is tryin to teach...Im sure he son will be fine

kikitice
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

She knows her child better than I do so if she felt it was needed then I agree.

KymberleeAnn
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM
5 moms liked this
I think that was a bit extreme, this message is not a message you start to teach your child after they are nearly grown and starting college.
From infancy a child should learn the value of money and that money does not grow on trees, they should not be given everything that they ask for, and as they grow they should have to earn their allowance.
So that they will not take their parents for granted and they should also be taken to their parents jobs if possible so they can see how hard they have to work to make money.
So they can develop a greater appreciation for money and thus realize that it's not easy out here and that saving money and balancing their own home bank account will also help them.
prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

i agree...her son is probably doing too much. asking for too much. alot of kids like that go to college, but clown when they get there. so i get it. if he can be humble and take this as a lesson, he will be ok.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I'm not going to give my opinion on whether I think she was right or wrong. 

If I had a lot of money and want to teach my kids a lesson on the real world and what it's like, they have summer vacation to get a job and learn during the high school years.  I could have easily not paid a dime for college / university, and make them take a year off after high school to get a job and work.  Learn for a year what the real world is like and how hard it is.  Most important, I would not be out buying them cars, designer clothes, the latest technical gadget etc...  I personally would never pull my kids out of school, not even for a semester to learn a lesson like that.  I'm pretty strict when it comes to their education and the grades they bring home, and don't even like it when they miss more than two days of school for being sick.  To each their own.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM
I think it was a good life lesson. You have to experience the good bad of life sometimes. To appreciate the things that you have more. She only took him out for one semester, wasnt gonna end his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see anything wrong with what she did....at worse, she did, what? Push his graduation date back one semester? Show him how hard it is out here in the real world with an education? He better be glad that SHE taught him a lesson, and not life, because life's lessons all too often don't come with second and third chances.

She's right...I'm not gonna sit up here and pay out thousands and thousands of dollars for you to screw it all up, and nobody in in their right mind would do it either- college IS an investment.

I totally agree with her.

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

IDK. I have a hard time believing this one incident truly teaches a lesson. I would have more faith in the efforts if they were taught at a younger age.. For someone nearly grown withholding one thing doesn't send a very strong message..IMO.

I do agree with her message.

DOMTITI
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree 100%! That message should have been taught long before college;)

Quoting inmybizz:

IDK. I have a hard time believing this one incident truly teaches a lesson. I would have more faith in the efforts if they were taught at a younger age.. For someone nearly grown withholding one thing doesn't send a very strong message..IMO.

I do agree with her message.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)