Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

I'll sell you some foodstamps

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM
  • 71 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I go and get my hair done today, if that's what you wanna call it. Anyway, a young lady comes in there. She's been to this place a few times because her and the hair stylists are on a first name basis. They start talking and the stylist says that she'll buy foodstamps. The girl says "for real?" and she says yeah. So the girl gets on the phone to find out her balance. She says that she has, I believe, about 180? 108. 1 something with an 8, hell I don't remember. They start going back and forth about what she'll pay and everything, then the stylist says she's not falling for that again and so on. I guess they figured something out, I don't know because I got on Youtube. But I was amused because I see people complaining about that on social media but never seen IRL. The young lady had a touch screen cell phone and an iPad (that she paid $600 for. I know that for sure because I asked cause I want one), $80 Remy hair (the stylist asked her about that) and collects food stamps.

She's also a sophomore in college and is a single parent who's child's dad doesn't pay child support (she said that she was gonna file on him cause the baby is 5 mo and he hasn't her in 5 months) so I don't blame her at all. Hell, I really don't care if a person collects stamps or not. It was just one of those moments that made me think of those Facebook posts and folks on here complaining about 'you have an iPhone but you're on foodstamps". Kinda tickled me.

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM
15 moms liked this
It peeves me that people think that people on PA are supposed to look like they're dirt poor.
Tish_Hughes
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Quoting .Peaches.:

It peeves me that people think that people on PA are supposed to look like they're dirt poor.

I've never heard that one. Just that people complain about what they have. "You can't have foodstamps, you drive an Altima/have iphone/internet, etc"

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Quoting .Peaches.:

I've never heard that one. Just that people complain about what they have. "You can't have foodstamps, you drive an Altima/have iphone/internet, etc"

That's what I meant.

People act like people on PA aren't supposed to have anything else.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:12 AM
3 moms liked this
She probably brought phone with her refund check from school.At least she attending college! So one day hopefully she can get a descent job. Wont need government assistance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaha
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Maybe she had the iphone and altima before she got foodstamps and she's not supposed to have the internet because she gets foodstamps. That makes no sense. Really? What if her altima is paid off, what is she supposed to sell it so she doesn't have to be on food stamps? So how is she going to drive to work or school ? Foodstamps are based on your income not whether or not you get the internet every month. Even if she did not have those things she would still be getting foodstamps every month. smh

jaysmom2002
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
She probably was doing well for herself but fell on hard times. Sh!t if I end up losing my job ill go apply for food stamps if that's what I gotta do to feed my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM
4 moms liked this
The only thing I really see a problem with in this post is her selling food stamps. That's not a good look nor is it legal. I wonder why she was doing that...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
This. It's possible that all those things came before the hard times or maybe those items were gifts. Being on any type of PA doesn't mean you have to look the part. (Fit into that stereotype).

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Quoting .Peaches.:

That's what I meant.

People act like people on PA aren't supposed to have anything else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkis1990
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
she probably got the ipad from school on financial aid that's how i got my laptop
micka5
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM
11 moms liked this

i agree with everythin everyone is saying...now the way she was in there talking about selling her stamps is tacky & illegal...I dont get that anyway...if im getting fs...we gone eat every dollar of it..im greedy & so are my kids lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)