Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Poor Lark

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 23 Replies

‘Saved By the Bell' star Lark Voorhies has bipolar disorder, according to her mother

Yahoo! TV By | Yahoo! TV - 3 hours ago

Last spring, Lark Voorhies appeared on Yahoo!'s series "The Yo Show" (watch the episode below) to reminisce about her days on the '90s Saturday-morning sitcom "Saved By the Bell." She looked drastically different from how we remembered little Lisa Turtle - her hair was dyed red and she had on heavy makeup - starting rumors of all sorts. Sparked by that appearance, People magazine conducted a series of interviews with the actress, and in their new issue they report on Lark's "sad spiral," which the actress' mother attributes to mental illness.

Megan D. Miller

You read this

People reports that during a recent photo shoot with the 38-year-old actress, her "once-sparkling brown eyes" were "disturbingly vacant." Lark kept a "near-constant dialogue - by turns mournful, frenetic, and angry - with unseen figures," and struggled "to focus for even brief moments." Although Lark denied to the magazine that she suffers from mental illness - the devout Jehovah's Witness answered the question by saying, "Oh no. We're alive in a major time of all-in-all prophecy" - her mother, who lives with her and was also interviewed for the story, said the former child star has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, for which she has been prescribed medication.

[Related: 'Saved by the Bell's' Mr. Belding now a pro wrestler]

"I care deeply about my daughter and I want her to resume her life," her mother, Tricia, told People. However, she noted that finding the right treatment - and getting Lark's cooperation in following through with it - has been "frustrating."

While Lark herself didn't admit to mental illness, the actress - who had to schedule a second interview with the magazine after struggling through the first one - told People she has been in a constant battle with herself. "We met at a very powerful moment - it's like carrying on the interview in a hurricane," she said. She tried to explain away her abrupt, extended silences during the conversation by saying, "You caught me in moments of prayer. I have a strong spiritual sense." She also talked about the voices in her head, but the magazine noted that she was "defiant about getting psychiatric help." Explaining her reasoning, Lark said, "They can't explain it. They can't treat it. They don't know about it."

[Related: We Chat With Mark-Paul Gosselaar about 'Saved by the Bell']

Tricia told People that her daughter's mental health issues stem from various traumatic incidents in her life, but she wouldn't elaborate. "I don't want to go there," she said. She did say that Lark's stalled career after "Saved by the Bell" ended in 1993 caused "a lot of stress," and her divorce from Miguel Coleman in 2001 "caused a kind of break. ... The trauma was back." These days, Lark resides with her mother; drives, but only close to home; and has few friends. Tricia says she's not giving up hope that her daughter will pull through, noting, "She's trying so hard. She says she's delayed, but she's going to get there."

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Well as far as the saved by the bell star I'm not surprised by her diagnosis of bi polar just look at her picture.

Purplehaze87
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Yeah.  I mean she couldn't even pull herself together for an interview.  It's bad

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM
She has to have something wrong with her to get her facs cut up!*SMH*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Deezeekay
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM
4 moms liked this

You can tell if someone is bipolar by the way they look?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Well as far as the saved by the bell star I'm not surprised by her diagnosis of bi polar just look at her picture.

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

if you look at her you can tell that something is wrong her just by the way when looks because who do you know in their right mind would do that to their self?  

Quoting Deezeekay:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I agree with the point you are making here.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

She has to have something wrong with her to get her facs cut up!*SMH*

ayacocca
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It saddens me; its not taboo or shameful to get help when dealing with mental illness.. get that monkey off your back and out your mind (talking to you too, ex hubby)

jaysmom2002
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM
What done happen to Lisa... she was a beautiful lady
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of celebrities and rich people get plastic surgery thinking it will make them look young, when in actuality it makes them look freakish (ie. Joan Rivers, Meg Ryan to name a few).  You can't tell by looking at someone that they have a mental illness. She was always a pretty lady, until she got that horrible face lift.

It's sad that she's battling mental illness.  Even more sad that there is nothing anyone can do to force her to get help legally without violating her rights.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

if you look at her you can tell that something is wrong her just by the way when looks because who do you know in their right mind would do that to their self?  

Quoting Deezeekay:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Sweetheart I know that you can't look at a person (most persons) and tell if they have bi polar, I know that.  I was being sarcastic.

Joan Rivers and all the other ones that you mentioned are insane for allowing anyone to do that to their face.

That's why I said you can look at her and tell that she's troubled, because only a very troubled person would go and have so much work done on their face that they no longer look human.

Quoting SunFlower700:

Lots of celebrities and rich people get plastic surgery thinking it will make them look young, when in actuality it makes them look freakish (ie. Joan Rivers, Meg Ryan to name a few).  You can't tell by looking at someone that they have a mental illness. She was always a pretty lady, until she got that horrible face lift.

It's sad that she's battling mental illness.  Even more sad that there is nothing anyone can do to force her to get help legally without violating her rights.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Quoting Deezeekay:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN