Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mixed Hair on a Black woman

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
  • 70 Replies

Ok, I'm black well 1/4 isralie but I look black. When I try to go to salons they have come out and said I don't know what to do with your hair do to the dominicans but when I went to them they say they don't know how to do Black hair I'm trying to go natrual and I cant find a stylist near me to help.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I'm sorry mom but I'm having a hard time believing that dominicans said they don't know how to do black hair, the dominicans are the best ones to go to for having your natural hair washed and blow dried, they get your bone straight like it had 10 relaxers in it.

Maybe your hair was (please don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just saying) maybe your hair was a hot mess and they just did not want to touch it or be bother with it.

Because before I got my personal hair stylist I only used dominican hairdressers and I got neck length, thick, all natural hair, and those Spanish sisters have my hair bouncy, and shiny and looking so beautiful when I leave their shop.'til my friends be saying Kym did you relax your hair and I say no, I went to the dominican beauty salon.

I don't think any beauty salon that's professional is going to say they can't do anything with your hair, first why would they be a public place if they can only do certain types of hair?

I'm not trying to say you are not telling the truth mom, please try to understand that, I'm just saying maybe these things were told to you but it just does not seem feasible that's all.

But at any rate I'm sorry that you went through this and I hope you find a professional group of hairdressers that can do the things that you want done to your hair without basically insulting you.

nikkis1990
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM

that is wat they said and they didnt even look at my real hair the girl at the front just said they dont really know what to do with black hair before i even go to speak with a stylist. I was really looking for advice on how to find some one near charleston who would know what to do with my hair

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I'm sorry you had that terrible and embarrassing experience, I'm not in Charleston I wish there was more I could do to help.  All the best in your search.

Quoting nikkis1990:

that is wat they said and they didnt even look at my real hair the girl at the front just said they dont really know what to do with black hair before i even go to speak with a stylist. I was really looking for advice on how to find some one near charleston who would know what to do with my hair

nikkis1990
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Thank you

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:43 AM
4 moms liked this
What does "Mixed Hair" looks like? Could u post a picture plz
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I was just about to say the same thing!!!! I would love to see....confused

Quoting luvthagirl:

0Kit0
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this

You go natural by keeping chemicals out of your hair. Use protective styles and limit heat. Youtube had a lot of information. Who cares what the texture is, healthy hair care does not discriminate.

Shaybay218
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I agree...try youtube...and Kym...you are right because I have relaitves who go to dominican hair dressors also...

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Kinky curly? Course? Straight that turns kinky? You don't have to be "mixed" to have a certain type of texture! Mmmm a black salon doesn't know what to do? I've seen black salon doing all types of grade hair! Including WW getting braids,weaves.

Quoting Stacey1081975:

I was just about to say the same thing!!!! I would love to see....confused

Quoting luvthagirl:

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

And the Dominicans? Some folks are pulling your legs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)