Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Erykah Badu and others

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

Does anyone know what these symbols mean? I am a huge neo soul fan. Likewise some of these artist like badu, jill, and lauryn keep me on my toes with there music and their choice of style (they always keep me wondering what their religious beliefs are.) When it comes to erykah, jill, lauryn, and india can anyone tell me what their religions are? Especially erykah and what these symbols mean?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Bump

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM

BUMP!

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

From the looks of it I'm thinking it's some sort of like, spiritualist, or something along the lines of five  presenters, maybe even some sort of African traditional religion.

tanishagreene
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM

That sounds about right. I did do a little more research there's actually a lot of talk about the tat's particularly the ones right near her shoulders suppose to mean allah. She actually was banned from performing in Malaysia due to these two tatt's

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

From the looks of it I'm thinking it's some sort of like, spiritualist, or something along the lines of five  presenters, maybe even some sort of African traditional religion.

navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM
I don't know what those symbols mean, but Jill Scott and India.Arie have always came off as being Christians to me. That's just what I pull from listening to their music. I don't know for sure though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

That's strange that she would be banned from performing in Malaysia for tattoos that mean Allah, because The dominant religion in Malaysia is Islam and Allah is the principal God of Islam so for them to ban her from preforming there it must have something to do with the fact that she's showing to much flesh.

Because Muslim women are not suppose to have all their chest out like and plus her head is not covered, I have seen her with her head covered but it's was not in the traditional Islamic style but more long the lines of African tradition.

Quoting tanishagreene:

That sounds about right. I did do a little more research there's actually a lot of talk about the tat's particularly the ones right near her shoulders suppose to mean allah. She actually was banned from performing in Malaysia due to these two tatt's

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

tanishagreene
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Yeah exactly thats the same thing I said but from what I was reading apparently the tattoo came off as offensive to allah *shrugs* dont get me to lying lol I kinda skimmed through but I know it was something along those lines if representing allah and it being offensive to islamic faith. I'll regoogle it and post it in a few.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

That's strange that she would be banned from performing in Malaysia for tattoos that mean Allah, because The dominant religion in Malaysia is Islam and Allah is the principal God of Islam so for them to ban her from preforming there it must have something to do with the fact that she's showing to much flesh.

Because Muslim women are not suppose to have all their chest out like and plus her head is not covered, I have seen her with her head covered but it's was not in the traditional Islamic style but more long the lines of African tradition.

Quoting tanishagreene:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM
IDK?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM

That would nice if you could post it, I would like to look at it.

Quoting tanishagreene:

Yeah exactly thats the same thing I said but from what I was reading apparently the tattoo came off as offensive to allah *shrugs* dont get me to lying lol I kinda skimmed through but I know it was something along those lines if representing allah and it being offensive to islamic faith. I'll regoogle it and post it in a few.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Quoting tanishagreene:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I don't know what the tattoos mean, but from what I heard, the twjo closest to her right and left shoulder say Allah in Arabic.  I'm not muslim and do not know what Erykah's religious beliefs are, but do know that it is considered offensive to muslims - tattoos in general and ones depicting Muhammed or have the word God. Curious to know what the other tattoos mean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17187560

Malaysia cancels Erykah Badu show over 'Allah tattoos'

Malaysia has cancelled a concert by US singer Erykah Badu after a publicity photo showed her with the Arabic word for "Allah" tattooed on her upper body.

Officials say the photo of Ms Badu in The Star newspaper was "an insult to Islam". The paper has apologised.

The Grammy-award winner was due to perform on Wednesday in Kuala Lumpur and is said to be dismayed at the news.

Muslim-majority Malaysia has previously warned other international artists to dress modestly for their concerts.

Tattoos are forbidden in Islam and using the word "Allah" in a way deemed disrespectful offends many Muslims.

'Serious offence'

The photo of Ms Badu with several words in Arabic and Hebrew written on her body features prominently on her official fan site. It is not clear whether Ms Badu's body art is permanent.

The Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry says it was not aware of the tattoos when it initially approved the concert, the BBC's Jennifer Pak in Kuala Lumpur reports. Some Muslims began protesting after The Star published the photo.

Now the culture ministry says it is justified in banning Ms Badu's concert because it breaches religious sensitivities and cultural values.

Information Minister Rais Yatim said a government committee had decided to cancel the show because Ms Badu's body art was "an insult to Islam and a very serious offence".

According to the statement, the body art "triggered public criticism that could jeopardise national security and cause a negative impact to the government's image".

Concert organisers are in touch with officials and hope the cancellation will be reversed, the Associated Press news agency reports.

Ms Badu, 41, had already arrived in Malaysia. She is "worried and dismayed" over the incident, according to the concert organiser.

The Home Ministry has asked The Star to explain why it published the photo. The Star has already apologised, saying its inclusion in Monday's edition was "inadvertent".

"We deeply regret any offence caused to Muslims and sincerely apologise for the oversight," the paper said on Tuesday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)