Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

I KNOW SONE OF YALL GONNA HATE ME....

Posted by   + Show Post
Last night I was having a discussion with someone about food stamps and public assistance and she disagreed with me. Heres my point of view, should we be able to get food stamps and assistance YES! But the govt needs to put a cap on that shit.I have a family friend who has housing food stamps etc and has never worked a day in her life. I feel that it should be a temporary thing let's say 3 years the max. And if you are receiving assistance it should be required that you go to school and or have a job... that's my thought on it and NO I'm not bashing anyone that gets assistance but some people are abusing the system and making it hard for those who need help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Replies (71-75):
ginalyn
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Well I receive assistance but I'm not one of those who abuses the system. I actually hate the fact I even have to use it. So I somewhat agree with u. But most that have a job don't need it in the first place or they take it as soon as u start working and u still need it. I haven't been on it long and I don't plan to be but crap happens it's called life and everybody is not as fortunate as some people but I do agree that the ones abusing it make it harder on the ones who really need it cause I went through hell trying to get assistance and was turned down the first time cause I was in school which didn't make sense to me at all. They rather give it to the ones who don't want to do anything to help themselves but give it to the ones who do. I had a friend who told straight lies to get all the help she got and we used to argue about it cause I thought it was wrong. But I don't put everyone in the same category that receives assistance cause we are not all the same. That's why I usually don't even mention the fact I'm on assistance cause people who don't have an understanding that different people need help for different reasons make you feel like you ain't shit for needing assistance and that's not right and I get sick and tired of people always posting something somewhere about the people who do. If you have never needed assistance or did but wasn't on it for long then congrats to you but don't judge all people on assistance and think the rules have to change because of a few lazy idiots you know cause that's just going to make it even harder for the people who do need it and those lazy idiots are lazy but not stupid they'll find a way to still get it just like some do now. Don't hate you at all cause I don't know you. The same way people shouldn't judge folks on assistance as all the same but unfortunately life and people don't work that way. You be blessed!
CafeMom Tickers
lalasha
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I totally disagrees. We need to have better assistance to get off welfare before we go capping it. Some people really can't find work and others need a lot of schooling to get enough skills to get a decent job to get off public assistance. Also I think minimum wage needs to come WAY UP. It should truly be the minimum amount a person can live on and let me tell you it is NOT 7 something dollars an hour it is more like 14.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaysmom2002
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Whoa I don't judge anyone on assistance what I'm saying is that I see a lot of ppl who have been getting some type of assistance for Lord knows how long they don't work not looking or doing anything to better them selves. I don't judge anyone trust me everybody going thru stuff right now with the way the economy is. My thing is if your on assistance and your not disabled or elderly etc you need to be looking for a job working or at least in school. Since I've known this chick who is a family friend she has never had a job the lady is young has two kids and is abusing the system. It's ppl like that that I'm referring to

Quoting ginalyn:

Well I receive assistance but I'm not one of those who abuses the system. I actually hate the fact I even have to use it. So I somewhat agree with u. But most that have a job don't need it in the first place or they take it as soon as u start working and u still need it. I haven't been on it long and I don't plan to be but crap happens it's called life and everybody is not as fortunate as some people but I do agree that the ones abusing it make it harder on the ones who really need it cause I went through hell trying to get assistance and was turned down the first time cause I was in school which didn't make sense to me at all. They rather give it to the ones who don't want to do anything to help themselves but give it to the ones who do. I had a friend who told straight lies to get all the help she got and we used to argue about it cause I thought it was wrong. But I don't put everyone in the same category that receives assistance cause we are not all the same. That's why I usually don't even mention the fact I'm on assistance cause people who don't have an understanding that different people need help for different reasons make you feel like you ain't shit for needing assistance and that's not right and I get sick and tired of people always posting something somewhere about the people who do. If you have never needed assistance or did but wasn't on it for long then congrats to you but don't judge all people on assistance and think the rules have to change because of a few lazy idiots you know cause that's just going to make it even harder for the people who do need it and those lazy idiots are lazy but not stupid they'll find a way to still get it just like some do now. Don't hate you at all cause I don't know you. The same way people shouldn't judge folks on assistance as all the same but unfortunately life and people don't work that way. You be blessed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaysmom2002
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Yea minimum wage is a whole different topic its just ridiculous but my thing is you work and get assinstance cool you deserve it but its those that are abusing the system that I'm talking about lying etc

Quoting lalasha:

I totally disagrees. We need to have better assistance to get off welfare before we go capping it. Some people really can't find work and others need a lot of schooling to get enough skills to get a decent job to get off public assistance. Also I think minimum wage needs to come WAY UP. It should truly be the minimum amount a person can live on and let me tell you it is NOT 7 something dollars an hour it is more like 14.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginalyn
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Well I will apologize for saying you were judging but it came across that way to me. But like I said I do agree with you about the ones who abuse it but unfortunately the ones who don't pay the price for the ones who do. And all I get is food stamps and wic and I went through hell to get that. But females that been on it forever can walk right in and get it with no problem just by lying. So no I don't have respect for those who do that. I lost everything and now have to live with my sister but I am honest and don't manipulate the system and can't get much help but females that have never worked a day has food stamps, wic, housing,and programs that help pay their utilities. They sit in social services with their nails done and hair done, name brand clothes and accessories but yet supposedly so broke they need assistance. So trust me I do know where you're coming from.

Quoting jaysmom2002:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)